M1 CLOSED

Motorway closed after accident

All six lanes of the M1 motorway have been closed between junctions 29 and 30 following an accident.
Four lorries were involved in the crash at 1935 BST on Monday between Barlborough and Chesterfield with one going through the central reservation.

One person has been released from a vehicle and taken to hospital. Three more people are also thought to have been injured.

The motorway is not expected to re-open until the early hours of Tuesday.

tell me about it.lol… six hours to do a 3 n half hour run last night. it was still closed at 0400 this morning. and with a 16ft trailer the detour options were minimal.made it though…what was the cause of it i wonder… :wink:

Just opened late this morning.

There was another accident this afternoon at the same spot. Obviously rubbernecking.

i came out onto jnt16 of m1 heading south last night and wondered why it was not as busy as usual…now i know :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: no one involved fatal i hope :cry:

Found this on local BBC Site:

Drivers were caught up in traffic chaos on Tuesday when the M1 closed on the border of South Yorkshire and Derbyshire after a pile-up.
A 57-year-old lorry driver died in Monday night’s crash, which involved two HGVs and several cars.

All lanes between junctions 29 and 30 were closed for 14 hours as one of the lorries was recovered.

One southbound lane and two northbound lanes re-opened at about 0940 BST, but severe delays are expected to continue.

Source BBC News

I know it caused chaos in our area from people diverting around it.

My thoughts are with the family of the driver

I saw the aftermath this afternoon with the barrier repair squads out ready to rebuild the armco. OK northbound with one lane closed, no queue but southbound with 2 lanes shut was a different matter!! - queues back to the M18 junction - qbout 12 miles or so.

When I returned from Leeds I came via M18/Bawtry/A1/A614. This route was much busier than normal.

Its when things like this happen you realise just how much we take the motorways for granted.

Calv

I must have just missed the accident southbound by minutes as I was through that area on Monday night around that time.

Returning back north on Tuesday morning was a different story. Got to Tibshelf around 0600 and it was stacked up from there. Took until 0730 to get on the slip road at J30 and then another 90 mins to run up the backroads and rejoin the A619 then up to J29. Got into Leeds at 1030 when it should have been 0730.