M1 Closed J22

swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/112 … _s_murder/

Her cooking must have been really bad. :smiley:

This is a really sad case. However, why close the opposite carriageway when the chopper lands? It ain’t that big!

bazza123:
This is a really sad case. However, why close the opposite carriageway when the chopper lands? It ain’t that big!

You ever flown one?

Wildy:
M1 crash driver charged with his wife's murder | Swindon Advertiser

That’s pretty nuts, deliberately crash your car in to a tree to take the wife out, movie stuff, the evil that men do…

bazza123:
This is a really sad case. However, why close the opposite carriag
eway when the chopper lands? It ain’t that big!

To stop rubberneckers crashing into one another as they watch it land,

Supposedly it is in case debris gets blown about as well, you can see the claims coming in

Silver_Surfer:

bazza123:

You ever flown one?

No, you? There seems plentry of space in the picture…

google.co.uk/search?q=air+a … B618%3B416

Edit: Also I have driven down the motorway with an air ambulance parked on the opposite carriageway so whats changed?

Also, given that a lot of air ambulance pilots are ex military, surely if they can land on this

google.co.uk/search?q=destr … B500%3B335

(US) ship, with a Sea King, they can land an air ambulance on a motorway? Seems OTT t shut both sides to me.

Too risky to land and take off in a chopper with moving traffic nearby as driver would use all their attention on that

Amazing to see how many will ogle it when it simply sitting there

ROG:
Amazing to see how many will ogle it when it simply sitting there

Too true :unamused: :unamused: just imagine someone having a tyre changed with a bog standard jack!!!

bazza123:

Silver_Surfer:

bazza123:

You ever flown one?

No, you? There seems plentry of space in the picture…

google.co.uk/search?q=air+a … B618%3B416

Edit: Also I have driven down the motorway with an air ambulance parked on the opposite carriageway so whats changed?

Also, given that a lot of air ambulance pilots are ex military, surely if they can land on this

google.co.uk/search?q=destr … B500%3B335

(US) ship, with a Sea King, they can land an air ambulance on a motorway? Seems OTT t shut both sides to me.

Have you seen the amount of ■■■■ the choppers kick up in their downwash? Imaging that being thrown into the path of 70mph traffic especially when they’re not looking at the road but the chopper landing a few feet away from them.

We had a talk at our club by the Derbyshire/Lincs Air Ambulance lads and they are not allowed to land if public etc are anywhere in the vicinity due to downdraught issues and blade clearance as mentioned. We are not talking about a ‘War Zone’ here but just trying to assist members of the public in trouble! :unamused: Based at Castle Donnington, the pilot sits in the craft all day ready for action and is the only non medical person and employed by the helicopter hire company. If he isn’t happy with the available landing area then they don’t land, end of! The medical staff are normally on less money than if they were Hospital based, but it looks good on their CV, and from initial phone call they can be anywhere in the Peak District/Lincs etc area within twenty minutes. Paid for solely on donations, no Government funding whatsoever.

Pete.

windrush:
We had a talk at our club by the Derbyshire/Lincs Air Ambulance lads and they are not allowed to land if public etc are anywhere in the vicinity due to downdraught issues and blade clearance as mentioned. We are not talking about a ‘War Zone’ here but just trying to assist members of the public in trouble! :unamused: Based at Castle Donnington, the pilot sits in the craft all day ready for action and is the only non medical person and employed by the helicopter hire company. If he isn’t happy with the available landing area then they don’t land, end of! The medical staff are normally on less money than if they were Hospital based, but it looks good on their CV, and from initial phone call they can be anywhere in the Peak District/Lincs etc area within twenty minutes. Paid for solely on donations, no Government funding whatsoever.

Pete.

I didn’t necessarily mean landing a helicopter in a war zone, just on the back end of a warship, happens often around our coasts surely? Also choppers landing on rigs etc.

windrush:

Pete.

I didn’t necessarily mean landing a helicopter in a war zone, just on the back end of a warship, happens often around our coasts surely? Also choppers landing on rigs etc.

they can shut the road for weeks for all I care, if I’m sitting in a queue frustrated, it means I’m breathing and alive. I know if any of my loved ones ever needed emergency services I would want them to have the best chance at saving them. if that means you get held up so a helicopter can land tough ■■■■!

helicopters can kick up a lot of dust and debris, not something you probably want doing life saving things at the side of a motorway, and also for the poor woman who was still alive at the time, keep her calm, no land a bloody helicopter next to her.

lives comes before work! I fully understand the frustration but hope none of you ever need to experience the other end of a situation like this :unamused:

stuartrobbie:
they can shut the road for weeks for all I care, if I’m sitting in a queue frustrated, it means I’m breathing and alive. I know if any of my loved ones ever needed emergency services I would want them to have the best chance at saving them. if that means you get held up so a helicopter can land tough [zb]!

helicopters can kick up a lot of dust and debris, not something you probably want doing life saving things at the side of a motorway, and also for the poor woman who was still alive at the time, keep her calm, no land a bloody helicopter next to her.

lives comes before work! I fully understand the frustration but hope none of you ever need to experience the other end of a situation like this :unamused:

I agree with everything you’ve said, just wondering on the reasoning behind shutting both carriageways.

bazza123:
I agree with everything you’ve said, just wondering on the reasoning behind shutting both carriageways.

Well I imagine to stop further accidents due to ‘rubberneckers’ as human nature decrees that they will slow right down and have a good old gawp at proceedings? Regarding your comment about landing on ships and rigs, I suppose those areas are ‘clinically clean’ with nothing loose around to cause damage whereas landing on unknown ground is a bit of a lottery? They have their rules and stick to them pretty rigidly I imagine just like the other emergency services, we don’t always understand the reasoning but it obviously works for them.

Pete.

bazza123:

stuartrobbie:
they can shut the road for weeks for all I care, if I’m sitting in a queue frustrated, it means I’m breathing and alive. I know if any of my loved ones ever needed emergency services I would want them to have the best chance at saving them. if that means you get held up so a helicopter can land tough [zb]!

i’m unfamiliar with the road in question, I know some motorways have wide central reservations, maybe the air ambulance specifies a certain area to land and the only place is the three lanes opposite? which does still sound stupid considering the road ahead of the accident is surely free? maybe overhead cables, pylons, other air routes also dictate?

i totally agree with others about how frustrating it is, how long roads are closed for and that, and when you are 10 miles back the queue and the crash site is cleared by the time you pass yet you still only average 5 mph! i get more annoyed at multiple mobile works and multiple major roadworks on one route than road closures. or the fact BT seem to have the need to shut a whole lane of a single carriageway for about a mile just to they can work out of two manhole covers metres away from the road :frowning: