M1 bayley bridge

can anyone remember the tempory bailey bridging on the northbound m1 between 29-30 ?,70’s !.any pics

If I recall correctly it was for road subsidence as I think it was something to do with an old mineshaft collapsing but they were used at several places in those days the one I can recall were on the A1 over the river ouse? on Woodhead while they repaired the bridge and on Brough at Greta bridge, sorry no photo’s and one or two more I cannot remember the locations of.

anyone remember the bridge on the a13 at barking by the volunteer r/about a friend of mine is an interior designer and in an earlier life was a draughtsman and he told me in the 60s there was a competition for someone to design a temporary bridge which would go up and be taken down in a short time consequently we ended up with said bridge which was up for about 40 years, also anyone here know gallows corner flyover the single lane one where the a12 meets the a127 at romford that is now in such a state of disrepair that it is often only open one way In have anothewr mate who grew up in that area and he told me in the 60s the royal engineers spent a weekend putting up that temporary bridge which is still with us after more than 40 years, why does it take such time do put things right maybe its an essex thing

ubym344:
anyone remember the bridge on the a13 at barking by the volunteer r/about a friend of mine is an interior designer and in an earlier life was a draughtsman and he told me in the 60s there was a competition for someone to design a temporary bridge which would go up and be taken down in a short time consequently we ended up with said bridge which was up for about 40 years, also anyone here know gallows corner flyover the single lane one where the a12 meets the a127 at romford that is now in such a state of disrepair that it is often only open one way In have anothewr mate who grew up in that area and he told me in the 60s the royal engineers spent a weekend putting up that temporary bridge which is still with us after more than 40 years, why does it take such time do put things right maybe its an essex thing

Yea ubym its disgusting the state of the country’s roads !! If the government spent only half of the money they take in road tax we would , by now, have the finest road network in the world !! Bewick.

Bewick:

ubym344:

Yea ubym its disgusting the state of the country’s roads !! If the government spent only half of the money they take in road tax we would , by now, have the finest road network in the world !! Bewick.

absolutely :smiley:

Bewick:

too right, i find it unbelievable that the M6-M1 flyover, one of the most important motorway interchanges in the country, is limited to 44te vehicles - the detour we have to take heavy is only up to j.20 and return, but how can they let such an important structure get into such a bad state? :imp:

and now we have all the potholes from the bad weather we had how long before they get filled in its really bad if you are on 2 wheels

iirc. from my younger days the baily bridge was off of junc 29 at doe lea heading up the hill. subsidence caused the collapse. right smack bang halfway up the steep hill. just past the turning for doe lea village. i remember biking it from home to look at them building the bridge that must have been around 1974/1975 ?

the bridge was actually on the northbound !