M1 (16-18) avoid

Been a serious accident between these two junctions in the roadworks
Avoid the area , going north come off at J15 and use the Northampton ring road east, avoid the A5 as everybody is using it

pierrot 14:
Avoid the area , going north come off at J15 and use the Northampton ring road east, avoid the A5 as everybody is using it

Yes, more details:

Westwards: M1, Northampton
On the M1 northbound between junctions J15 and J16, there are currently delays of 40 mins caused by congestion due to a serious accident closing the road between junctions J16 and J18. Road expected to re-open from 10:45 am.

What a load of crap
Happened around 3 this morning , one car and one lorry involved, according to Radio Northampton ,.they reckon it won’t be open till 10.45

WHY !!!

pierrot 14:
WHY !!!

Because they can

If it warrant’s investigation due to the type of accident ie a death occurs the one of the party’s may be negligent in their actions which could change the outcome for a family ( insurance claim for death ) .

One of our Trunkers reckoned that it happened just behind him this morning, he saw a car stopped with hazards & brake lights on, in the 1st lane & what looked like someone having a ■■■■ on the verge, on his way back down the motorway, same car was down a ditch & a Wagon (think he said a Stobbies) with smashed nearside stopped near it. !

What is it with that stretch of the M1 between Crick and Milton Keynes? There seems to be an accident there either Southbound or Northbound every week sometimes even more.

One dead acording to the local paper.

BBC also saying 1 dead

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no … e-30493438

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
What is it with that stretch of the M1 between Crick and Milton Keynes? There seems to be an accident there either Southbound or Northbound every week sometimes even more.

Yep, it’s the law !

The Numpty’s who decide to dig up mile after mile after mile (about 15 miles in this case) & reduce the lane width so every body is squeezed together (especially when you’ve got 2 wagons & a car passing each other) should be laid in the road & driven over, then left there, like a flattened Badger.

Why don’t they limit any stretch to 5 miles (Max) that way people might not be so impatient & loose concentration & maybe we’d all get home safe (most of the time !)

Also, why dig up the A43/A5 at the same time ■■? Durrrrrr !
Surely it would have been better to concentrate on one or the other & not close both together, as they’ve done on many occasions (overnight) over the last few months.

as I say if there owt on the hard shoulder
move to the middle lane

martinviking:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Yep, it’s the law !

The Numpty’s who decide to dig up mile after mile after mile (about 15 miles in this case) & reduce the lane width so every body is squeezed together (especially when you’ve got 2 wagons & a car passing each other) should be laid in the road & driven over, then left there, like a flattened Badger.

Why don’t they limit any stretch to 5 miles (Max) that way people might not be so impatient & loose concentration & maybe we’d all get home safe (most of the time !)

Surely it would have been better to concentrate on one or the other & not close both together, as they’ve done on many occasions (overnight) over the last few months.

How is this affecting Fortec depot behind Watford Gap services btw?

It’s worrying if you can only concentrate for 5 miles at a time Martin Viking. Shouldn’t you be concentrating 100% of the time, as any driver should, especially professional drivers?
It is not roadworks that cause crashes, it’s the drivers driving in them. Thousands of drivers travel through that stretch daily and manage not to hit anything. I did on Saturday and last night. With no hard shoulder, if anything, I’m concentrating 110%.

Winseer:

martinviking:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Yep, it’s the law !

Not sure Winseer, but they were still queuing from south of J15, an hour ago, if you’re coming from the north, you’ll probably be ok.

extrucker:
It’s worrying if you can only concentrate for 5 miles at a time Martin Viking. Shouldn’t you be concentrating 100% of the time, as any driver should, especially professional drivers?
It is not roadworks that cause crashes, it’s the drivers driving in them. Thousands of drivers travel through that stretch daily and manage not to hit anything. I did on Saturday and last night. With no hard shoulder, if anything, I’m concentrating 110%.

Yea, 5 miles & I’m sooo tired, I have to pull onto the hard shoulder & have a little nap, takes me ages to get to Birmingham !

martinviking:

Winseer:

martinviking:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Yep, it’s the law !

Not sure Winseer, but they were still queuing from south of J15, an hour ago, if you’re coming from the north, you’ll probably be ok.

I’m not going in there - have not been there for over 3 years in fact. I just imagine it’s a bit tough if the only approaches as they are are A5 from north (J18) or A4500 Weedon/J16 from the south. In any case, it all seems clear right now.

Meanwhile, I’ve gotta dash off to work myself for tonight, and it looks like there’s been another accident coming off the Island again, like on at least 4 other occasions in the area these past few days…

pierrot 14:

To be fair it was saying long delays on the A50 before 0900 hrs, anyone who got stuck in it after that has no sympathy from me as it was well advertised.

I came S/B this morning and it was all clear. N/B still looked horrible from 16 down to 15. It didn’t help the amount of trucks parked on the hard shoulder no doubt for a 45 - there was also an emergency vehicle trying to get through.

What doesn’t help with roadworks like these is drivers driving so close to the vehicle in front they can’t react. I don’t normally upload “boring” footage but this highlights what happens when driving so close you can’t see the road ahead. This was through the same roadworks that the accident happened this morning. The driver ends up going up over the verge as he doesn’t see the kerb narrow in (right at the very start of the video). He continues to stick it up the exhaust of the truck in front even after his little scare.

youtube.com/watch?v=aFTB6k2 … e=youtu.be

It’s not just in roadworks though - as soon as it gets a bit congested everyone and his dog bunches right up instead of doing the sensible thing and maintaining (or even increasing) their separation. I get the impression they are worried that someone will steal “their” place and they’ll lose 5 seconds in the Motorway Grand Prix.

Northamptonshire’s a no go area now, M1, A43/A5, A14 Kettering and Catthorpe, that takes some serious cunning (speeling) or stupidity of biblical proportions to dig all routes up at once.

This stretch of the motorway even before the roadworks was where you would hit bumper to bumper traffic heading back up the M1 on a Friday. You would get from Lutterworth to Donnington with your foot to the floor then be bumper to bumper again all the way upto Medowhall.