m.p.g

been in our new autos for a week and were all using about 160 litres a night[ was using 130], , the old motors were 380 ■■■■■■■ erfs, new ones 350 :open_mouth: m.a.n,s autos, boss thinks were not driving them right , but were thinking theyve not got enough power, i.e in the erf id drop a gear max on one of our routes but the m.an, s droping 3[ 12th down to 9th, erf 16th down to 15 th.
whos right , :question: or could it be engines are new and m.p.g wiill improve as they bed in

ady1:
or could it be engines are new and m.p.g wiill improve as they bed in

That’ll be part of the reason.

the engines being new and tight will be one of the reasons but perhaps you aren’t driving them right.
have you read the manual for the truck?
they usually have tips in them for more fuel efficent driving and how to get the best performance too.
perhaps when you come to a hill there is a hill climb mode that requires activating, maybe there is a retarder fitted that should only be turned to the on position when it’s needed.
read the instruction manual and then see if you are making a mistake, a lot of people had the same trouble with the iveco stralis auto box, because they hadn’t read the instruction manual.
you have to drive the stralis in manual for a few days to teach it how to drive, if you don’t it will use every single gear and half gear every time, it requires the driver to teach it how to block change etc.
perhaps the man is the same.

johnny:
you have to drive the stralis in manual for a few days to teach it how to drive, if you don’t it will use every single gear and half gear every time, it requires the driver to teach it how to block change etc.

Can you teach the Merc IPS coz that could use a lesson or two in gear pre selection, half a gear at a time when empty (especially when entering a fast moving road) And block changing 2 to 3 gears when you are fully freighted and almost maxing 44t on an incline (ruddy germans)

And what the hell is that ruddy clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick about :unamused:

And the biggest laugh is IPS stands for Intelligent Pre Selection :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I thought on the old SK series Merc’s they were EPS, and on the Actros’s they were originally called Telligent?

ady1:
been in our new autos for a week and were all using about 160 litres a night[ was using 130], , the old motors were 380 ■■■■■■■ erfs, new ones 350 :open_mouth: m.a.n,s autos, boss thinks were not driving them right , but were thinking theyve not got enough power, i.e in the erf id drop a gear max on one of our routes but the m.an, s droping 3[ 12th down to 9th, erf 16th down to 15 th.
whos right , :question: or could it be engines are new and m.p.g wiill improve as they bed in

Not necessarily. At our place we have some Volvo FM 360’s and a mix of DAF 95XF 435/MAN TGA 420.

The MANs and DAFs regularly outperform the Volvos on fuel economy simply because they’re not having to work as hard.

Also gearchanges. One thing they drilled into us when I did an economical driving course was to reduce the number of gearchanges. On a set route, we were expected to lower the number of gearchanges by 50%.

Reef:

johnny:

Can you teach the Merc IPS coz that could use a lesson or two in gear pre selection, half a gear at a time when empty (especially when entering a fast moving road) And block changing 2 to 3 gears when you are fully freighted and almost maxing 44t on an incline (ruddy germans)

And what the hell is that ruddy clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick about :unamused:

And the biggest laugh is IPS stands for Intelligent Pre Selection :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its a ■■■■■■■ joke,you try to change quickly to keep the revs up for a heavy load and the thing clicks at you and wont go into gear and you lose all your speed,Thats my only gripe with the merc.
Im averaging about 8.5 mpg by the way

bikemonkey:

Reef:

johnny:

Its a [zb] joke,you try to change quickly to keep the revs up for a heavy load and the thing clicks at you and wont go into gear and you lose all your speed,Thats my only gripe with the merc.
Im averaging about 8.5 mpg by the way

When changing up empty ,Press clutch,lift splitter switch and push eps lever forward together, and it will go up a full gear.
The clicks are caused by either not pushing the clutch right to the floor or moving the eps lever before the clutch has fully disengaged
Geoff

as Johnny above says,on the MANS,make sure the retarder is switched off and only used where necessary,we were taught this on our safed course.

gbtransp:
When changing up empty ,Press clutch,lift splitter switch and push eps lever forward together, and it will go up a full gear.
The clicks are caused by either not pushing the clutch right to the floor or moving the eps lever before the clutch has fully disengaged
Geoff

Umm surely its easier to press thumb button (right hand button on lever) and push lever forward (or back) to change whole gear (seeing that is what it tells you to do in manual anyway)
And 99% of the time its not the driver using the clutch wrongly its the ruddy thing needs half an hour to think about changing the gear

And thats not my point anyway the whole point of IPS is to push lever forward german brain then decides the next best gear for you to be in then you dip the clutch and hey presto little gearbox fairies do their magic and away you go (supposedly in the next right gear for your revs) Otherwise whats the point of it being pre selectable
they may aswell have put a stick with a hi/low trigger on the front and a splitter switch on the side and called it a ZF box coz your better off manually selecting/changing whole or halfs yourself than letting boris the brain do it for you

Reef:
And 99% of the time its not the driver using the clutch wrongly its the ruddy thing needs half an hour to think about changing the gear

My point entirely,you have to do everything so slooooooowly or the ■■■■■■■ thing wont have any of it :laughing: :laughing:

I always used the Merc pre-selector as a manual box. And no probs. as I was always in the gear that I wanted to be in ,not the computers airy-fairy fancy. If I wanted to block change I would knock the lever forward a couple of times then dip the clutch.

johnny:
the engines being new and tight will be one of the reasons but perhaps you aren’t driving them right.
have you read the manual for the truck?
they usually have tips in them for more fuel efficent driving and how to get the best performance too.
perhaps when you come to a hill there is a hill climb mode that requires activating, maybe there is a retarder fitted that should only be turned to the on position when it’s needed.
read the instruction manual and then see if you are making a mistake, a lot of people had the same trouble with the iveco stralis auto box, because they hadn’t read the instruction manual.
perhaps the man is the same.

read manual and its basically more about driving a manual than auto, did notice on sat though that the three new ones at the parcel depot are 390,s , ours our 350, they run a lot lighter than us so im told so ill query that on monday