Lynx Express/BRS pics

These are 2 of the trucks I drove at Lynx, Bothwell depot.

damoq:
These are 2 of the trucks I drove at Lynx, Bothwell depot.

I used to deliver cigarettes into the Lynx Bothwell depot after ITL had closed down their depot in East Kilbride
Also I used to run containers into Lynx in Chingford we used to pick them up from Felixstowe
the depot manager at Chingford was called Alan Harris
He came up Nottingham when DHL unfortunately won the contract and he was running a Lynx depot in Hellaby Rotherham he was a nice bloke but he got shafted and sadly replaced by some graduate from the hierarchy within DHL who couldn’t run a proverb able in a brewery I think in modern logistic speak it’s called progress !!!
I’m glad I’m out of transport as such

Gazsa401, yes the depot in Hellaby was a combination of Sheffield and Hull Lynx depots.I keep a look out for memorabeliua from the Lynx era, scouting Evilbay for stuff. :slight_smile:

Anyone got any pics of these two companies available,or do you know any links with pics on?(here or any site).

Would love to see my old Leyland Roadtrian (Lynx) again. :smiley:

Or any good stories to tell about working for these firms.

Hi Greyhound
Take a look at the BRS thread mate,there’s plenty of interesting stuff on their to read about + plenty of photos.Its a great thread.

Cheers ,Stanfield

Hi Greyhound , would like to find some pics of Lynx myself as they have now all but disappeared :frowning: Did you mean the 80 series leyland/daf or the ‘proper’ Roadtrain?
remember Lynx ran alot of ERFs ECs & pulled really old 40’ tandem trailers[ ex Roadline? ]with single wheels . Their depot in Northampton was at Moulton Park, now of course UPS :unamused: Also it’s worth looking at the ‘scrapbook memories’ thread - 116 pages :smiling_imp: as theres bound to be a pic or two on there :wink:

I must admit their Leyland hub had the largest collection of characters I have ever come across! :smiley:

tonyhogi:
Hi Greyhound , would like to find some pics of Lynx myself as they have now all but disappeared :frowning: Did you mean the 80 series leyland/daf or the ‘proper’ Roadtrain?
remember Lynx ran alot of ERFs ECs & pulled really old 40’ tandem trailers[ ex Roadline? ]with single wheels . Their depot in Northampton was at Moulton Park, now of course UPS :unamused: Also it’s worth looking at the ‘scrapbook memories’ thread - 116 pages :smiling_imp: as theres bound to be a pic or two on there :wink:

I meant the proper T45 roadtrain,with a twin-splitter gearbox.
Leeds ran ERFs and Leyland Roadtrains.
Been to the Moulton Park depot, and the old Birmingham depot ,from when i used to do the night shift to Nuneaton.

But sadly,there is not many pics from the ‘Lynx’ era.

Yes the trailers did vary ,mostly oldish.I used to get a regular one in circulation that had the wheels right on the back.A pig to go round some corners.

Never worked for them but used to run Honda parts into the Nuneaton depot 3x a week.Olde worlde or what but a good tip.- Unlike the miserable shunts @TNT Kingsbury
Supplied one of the shunters with a fair few cases of Speckled Hen,on a regular basis. Does anybody still drink that ? Happy days .

Greyhound:
I meant the proper T45 roadtrain,with a twin-splitter gearbox.

I think you mean the Spicer SST10 splitter box. The Roadtrain was a bit before the Eaton Twin Splitter (or even it’s precursor - the Eaton SAMT).

marky:
I think you mean the Spicer SST10 splitter box. The Roadtrain was a bit before the Eaton Twin Splitter (or even it’s precursor - the Eaton SAMT).

It was a ‘K’ reg.definitely a twin splitter,awkward to master ,but lovely once you know how.

Said ‘Roadtrain’ on it .

Was a normal 5 speed box with a toggle of LOW ,MID, HIGH.

Didnt need the clutch on the way up,rev it up on the way down.

Definitely NOT a Scammell . :open_mouth:

Hi Greyhound,
No splitter, range change,twin splitter,or 2 speed back axle in this old girl !! :unamused: :unamused:

Loading at Three Legged Cross Hampshire,and then to Nuneaton Hub, during the last few weeks before the takeover by UPS :cry: :cry:

Regards Richard

Greyhound:

marky:

It was a ‘K’ reg.definitely a twin splitter,awkward to master ,but lovely once you know how.

Said ‘Roadtrain’ on it .

Was a normal 5 speed box with a toggle of LOW ,MID, HIGH.

Didnt need the clutch on the way up,rev it up on the way down.

Definitely NOT a Scammell . :open_mouth:
Hi Greyhound if it was ‘K’ reg then it was one of these :confused:

a leyland daf 80 series-with a DAF engine :frowning:
This is a 'proper Roadtrain usually with Rolls/■■■■■■■ engines & spicer box :sunglasses:

pics- borrowed from biglorry blog if thats ok? if not sorry :blush: :blush:

Definitely the bottom one.A proper Roadtrain. :smiley:

And many thanks for that picture Richard. Nice pic

Heres one i was sent to recover…

Steve

The worst 3 point turn i’ve seen. :open_mouth:

Greyhound:
The worst 3 point turn i’ve seen. :open_mouth:

6ft 6" - 3 tonne Canel bridge 200 yards away - this was one of many !! - Unlike Richard Reads a few months back that actually made it over - albeit minus
its fuel tank and 3 trailer tyres but it got over - Driver was following the diversion apparantly - even though the closed route was a 5 tonne limit road.

Steve

i can remember when the nuneaton hub used to be Federal Express’s before they pulled out of the uk market circa 1991.
used to do a trunk from scotland down to Cpt Cargo nuneaton before we became Fastrack Parcels and the hub moved to wednesbury.

hi,i worked for lynx express at dartford and found a couple of pics of my truck at the time,erf ec8 275hp,it was late 1990 and brand new at the time and had just replaced a volvofl7(wendyhouse)cab,will add some more if i can dig them out
scan0004.jpg
scan0003.jpg