Lucky to be alive.

In the Somerset Standard it shows a photo of a truck that crashed in to a coach on the Frome Bypass.
If somebody could put a link to show that cab mangled up.One lucky driver.About 20 cars that were behind the truck,all left the scene and did not stop to help him.It was a week or two ago.
The driver was going to take the truck to show the pupils at his daughters school,so had cleaned and polished it.

somersetguardian.co.uk/Lorry … story.html

A lorry driver who was involved in a horror crash earlier this week said he feels ‘lucky to be alive’ having escaped with relatively minor injuries.

David Seymour, 40, from Radstock, was airlifted to hospital after his vehicle collided with a coach full of pensioners at the junction of the A362 Warminster Road and A361 Frome Bypass at about 10.30am on Tuesday (April 29).

The father-of-two suffered a broken leg and lacerations to his face and arms in the smash which has written-off the badly damaged Massey Wilcox Transport lorry.

He has now expressed his heartfelt thanks to all the emergency services, medical staff and members of the public who helped save his life.

He said: “At the time I was in and out of consciousness so I didn’t get the chance to say thank you. It is only when something like this happens that you realise what a fantastic job they do.

“Immediately after the crash there was a Frampton’s lorry driver and an off-duty nurse who did everything they could before the fire engines and ambulance arrived. I just want them all to know how grateful I am for what they did for me. Without them it could have been a very different story.

“There were times I was aware of what was happening and was sure I was going to lose both my legs because of the way they were crushed but when they cut me free and I could feel the pain in my foot and back and thought if I can feel that I must be ok.”

David, who has been working as a lorry driver for the past 19 years, said he was even more shocked when he saw the picture of his crushed lorry on the front page of this newspaper.

He said: “I think that’s when it hit home. I never saw the state the cab was in till I saw the photograph. I can’t believe I was cut free from that. When I look at that picture it gives me flashbacks. Unfortunately I can’t remember much of what happened I just remember seeing the coach and being terrified it was full of children.”

The picture also proved a shocking reminder of what could have been for his mum Margaret and sisters Michelle and Claire who have all been counting their blessings since the accident.

Claire added: “I went up to the shop in Writhlington and saw the picture and just burst into tears. It made me realise how lucky he is to be here.”

Having spent two and a half hours being cut free from the vehicle David was then taken to Bath’s Royal United Hospital by helicopter where medial staff checked his injuries, stitched him up and removed hundreds of small pieces of glass from his face and arms.

He said: “Thankfully there is no were no serious damage and no internal bleeding. When they had finished taking the glass out of me they put it on a piece of paper and said there is your windscreen.”

One of the downsides of such a high-profile accident is the evitable rumours that begin to circulate and David was shocked to learn that people were claiming he had died in the crash on social-media site Facebook.

He is now recovering at home and looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of a truck once his injuries have healed.

He added: “Now I know everyone in the other vehicle was fine the one thing that upsets me is that I had promised my youngest daughter I would take the lorry to St Nicholas School to show her and her classmates.

"I had asked my boss and he was really happy with that and I had even had it cleaned up specially but to be honest I think both my girls are just pleased that dad is still alive and well.”

Read more: somersetguardian.co.uk/Lorry … z31XEFdcrh
Read more at somersetguardian.co.uk/Lorry … Q2Ty4dj.99

Were you the Framptons driver that stopped then Toby?

Massey Wilcox driver should buy a lottery ticket.
That is one hell of a crumple zone.Six coach passengers were injured by flying glass.
A hotel supplied the Oap’ s with tea and biscuits.
Not sure if they made it to Longleat on their trip out.Without any fuss a local coach firm helped out to lend a spare coach.
The air ambo arrived an hour later to fly him off.

You can not blame car drivers for leaving the scene.They knew the road would be shut for most of the day.

toby1234abc:
You can not blame car drivers for leaving the scene.They knew the road would be shut for most of the day.

I’m sure you know the road well Tobes the same as me and it’s a very straight road so not sure how it could happen. :confused:

But yes he was very lucky indeed.

bald bloke:

toby1234abc:

I’m sure you know the road well Tobes the same as me and it’s a very straight road so not sure how it could happen. :confused:

it’ll be interesting to know what happened , like you said that roads like and arrow at that point.

nick2008:

bald bloke:

toby1234abc:

it’ll be interesting to know what happened , like you said that roads like and arrow at that point.

Was the coach in the middle turning right onto the A362 maybe ? you know the turning around the back of Asda.

Trucknet CSI will be along shortly :laughing: i am glad the driver survived, and no one else was killed, one very lucky driver.

bald bloke:
you know the turning around the back of Asda.

by the bridge …
Mind that’s if the paper have the right location :wink:

It is the turn off to Cley Hill, a poor design fault.
If traffic wants to join the bypass coming from Frome,their vuew is blocked by traffic turning to Cley Hill.