Lubrication for landing legs

No it’s not a Question regarding my ■■■■■■ prowess…Pulling trailers that seem to have no attention to greasing the trailer legs…3 winds and I have to take a 2 minutes rest…is there a remedy…because no one else seems bothered… When you highlight the problem… Thanks in anticipation

Thats usually not a lack of greasing, its a sign they’re bent.

If it’s a newish Dennison they had problems with their yard flooding. Loads of their trailers have duff legs. Mankitime have about 100 sets to replace, we have about 30 but they are struggling to supply replacements and keep up with production.

Try pulling Continental Cargo Carriers tilts, would imagine a lot have these have been yard shunted with the legs down or at the very least scraping on the floor, a lot of them are a real pain to wind up. As previously mentioned most likely bent and knackered winding gear…

Tug Drivers - Discover your LIFTing 5th wheel!

Winseer:

Why would they do that its an extra 20 seconds work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rog270:
No it’s not a Question regarding my ■■■■■■ prowess…Pulling trailers that seem to have no attention to greasing the trailer legs…3 winds and I have to take a 2 minutes rest…is there a remedy…because no one else seems bothered… When you highlight the problem… Thanks in anticipation

Jost are quite a popular brand of legs that are fitted to most trailers. We used to grease the bit of the leg that moves in and out. Until Jost told us to stop doing it as it was ■■■■■■■ the legs up, as the grease was attracting dirt, which was being pushed up in to the mechanism. Jamming them up.

As for people not being bothered about them. That to do with price… Iirc a Jost leg is somewhere in the region of 300 each. So many people will only replace them when they don’t work. As you can be certain that someone else will bend them.

A couple of months ago, I got called to a trailer with bent legs, so I replaced them. And sent it on its way, next day, had to replace them again as someone managed to bend them again…

The worst thing you can do is grease trailer legs.
The outer box and the leg clearance is at least 5 mill.
Once you put grease on the leg crap starts to stick between the leg and the outer shell.
If the outer shell and leg were meant to be greased then they would fit a grease point.
The only thing to grease is the gearbox(if it has a ■■■■■■)
The problem with trailer legs is numpties bending the legs or straining the input screw by dropping load on the legs and damaging the bevel gears.600 quid a pair and an couple of hours to fit because somebody just cant be assed to use them properly
A pair of legs should last the life of the trailer.

If only people would drop and pick up trailers correctly using leveller etc would make life so much easier for the next person!

Bent legs . Bend em even more then refuse to take it they have to fix em then :wink:

nick2008:
Bent legs . Bend em even more then refuse to take it they have to fix em then :wink:

Hate to say it, that’s the only way, just don’t get caught doing it…

Doesn’t help when you get muppets do what I saw at Toys r us rdc in Coventry , backs trailer on bay disconnects air lines etc pulls pin lowers legs then pulls unit out and trailer drops about 1foot (no that was not a young driver either in late 50’s )

Winseer:

I used to watch them coming down the ramp off the boat at Purfleet, the majority got the bent legs treatment.
I just about needed ■■■■ oxygen :smiley: sometimes after winding the bloody things up.
Their other trick was to leave them dropped too bloody high, when you backed under them with a low ride unit they were about a foot too high, and as difficult to wind off as they were up.

Thats the Shunters :exclamation: Not lifting the Trailer high enough and hitting Bumps by Speed. we have a few such Trailers and i watched them doing it,why i know it.
Lubrication outside on Trailer-Leg would just collect Dust

blue estate:

Winseer:

Why would they do that its an extra 20 seconds work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They tell you off at Fedex if you put the trailer brake on as well… It seems daft to me that one site’s H&S is another site’s “ignored”.

Winseer:

blue estate:

Winseer:

They tell you off at Fedex if you put the trailer brake on as well… It seems daft to me that one site’s H&S is another site’s “ignored”.

In that case I’d be getting a bollocking every time I went there. If there’s a trailer brake, it’s meant to be used… end of !

peterm:
In that case I’d be getting a bollocking every time I went there. If there’s a trailer brake, it’s meant to be used… end of !

Let’s get other folks feelings on this… I personally hate trailer brakes and will only use one if I’m split coupling, and I’m of the opinion that the reason that they have a tiny and slippery button is because they are only there for fitters to use during routine maintenance. If they were meant for drivers to use there’d be a bloody big handle on them.

You take your air lines off and the brakes come on. If the air escapes from a dropped trailer the brakes stay on. A number of years back people didn’t use trailer brakes but gradually we have become brainwashed (well, certain people have) that to not use a trailer brake is somewhat akin to buggering a nun!

And putting them on when you’re on a slope? Watch it roll away

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Looks like I’ve dropped a clanger :blush: I was talking about the old fashioned trailer brakes, usually found on Scammell pick ups.

Sorry 'bout that. Showing me age.

blue estate:

Winseer:

Tesco does. They have the Buttons on the Headboard