Ltd company drivers

…how do you get around the IR35 regulations?

And, how do you charge for nights out?

Do you pay yourself a wage…or go for the minimum wage plus dividend route?

Just been looking at doing this myself, and came up against these quandaries.

Having more than 1 customer means IR35 does not apply, night out money is billed as exactly that, min wage + plus divi no real tax benefit to doing it this way, but you reduce your NI liability.

I predict all the “experts” will be along shortly with the usual misinformation about IR35 and how HMRC will shut us all down tomorrow. :unamused:

Left hand down!:
I predict all the “experts” will be along shortly with the usual misinformation about IR35 and how HMRC will shut us all down tomorrow. :unamused:

+1.

Have more than one customer on your books avoids IR35. All expenses get put through the books, as has been said, minimum wage, I think it’s around £600 per month and the rest in dividends. Mrs ■■■■■ can be a director so doubles the income. Consider flat rate VAT and most of all get a decent respected accountant.
Good luck, it works for me.
Paul

How often do you need to work for the extra customer, 1 saturday a month enough?

Looked at flat rate vat but couldn’t work what category the business would come under…found one, temporary employment supply or something which was 12%.

I thought it was 10% so probably didn’t find the right category?

Your work as courier services and have a van that I insured as a courier van

DonutUK:
Looked at flat rate vat but couldn’t work what category the business would come under…found one, temporary employment supply or something which was 12%.

I spoke to an accountant last week about it, he suggested 12%, he said 10% would be too low and would likely attract unwanted interest from the powers that be.

sonflowerinwales:
Have more than one customer on your books avoids IR35. All expenses get put through the books, as has been said, minimum wage, I think it’s around £600 per month and the rest in dividends. Mrs ■■■■■ can be a director so doubles the income. Consider flat rate VAT and most of all get a decent respected accountant.
Good luck, it works for me.
Paul

What would be a average monthly or yearly rate for a decent respected accountant.
Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses:

MikeDBristol:

DonutUK:

I spoke to an accountant last week about it, he suggested 12%, he said 10% would be too low and would likely attract unwanted interest from the powers that be.

Just done my returns showing Gross Invoiced Income of £5,831, VAT due on this is 9%, (Flat Rate for this year is 10%, but you get a 1% discount in the first year of trading).
This gives a VAT liability of £524.79
Hope this helps

Just done my returns showing Gross Invoiced Income of £5,831, VAT due on this is 9%, (Flat Rate for this year is 10%, but you get a 1% discount in the first year of trading).

Is that for a year ■■ I’m on the same scheme & my Vat is more than that every quater

essexandy1963:

Is that for a year ■■ I’m on the same scheme & my Vat is more than that every quater

Its Flat Rate VAT Return For May 2014 to July 2014

Oh yeah understand now :smiley:

essexandy1963:

Your not working hard enough. My last was £950.

jessicas dad:

essexandy1963:

Your not working hard enough. My last was £950.

LOL :laughing: a 3 day week suits me fine :smiley: :smiley:

When I was SE, I was OK for the employer bit, but had problems with the rule that I had to supplu a replacement if I was unavailable. How do you get round that?

Any one used (Cheep Accounting) a online accountant. ?

Santa:
When I was SE, I was OK for the employer bit, but had problems with the rule that I had to supplu a replacement if I was unavailable. How do you get round that?

Go direct and cut out the agency. Seriously once you’ve got a decent reputation with the firms you go to that is the way you want to be heading. You get a greater cut of the pie, avoid the IR35 and life is good. You do need to build up a bit of money in the bank first as it can be a couple of months before the money starts rolling in but the way I did it was to do so much on agency at the same time. If you’ve got a mate or two who you KNOW are good drivers then give them the odd bit of work when you’re busy or want some time off.

In regards to the whole working for an agency IR35 stuff HMRC re-wrote the manual in April - I put in a few links in another topic a month ago - and put in some additional conditions which involve who is really in charge, acting on the orders of whoever, who decides when and where you’re working and reading them it basically stuffs up the whole umbrella company thing and even drivers on Ltd working for an agency who have a total employee count of one, themselves, and work for just one agency are on a very sticky wicket. I work for a guy who is drives as Ltd with an agency but he has at least four people working for him that I know of including subbying them through the same agency he is at and he has his own contracts as well. He’s safe.