Lowe bros

Colin in Sweden:
Kate and Big-G are correct, but the depot was not in Oldbury it was between Blackheath now known as Rowley Regis and Netherton on Powke Lane just befor the island. Lowes Transport, Powke Lane, Rowley Regis, West Midlands, B65 0AL and the Bosses name was Roy Lowe and if I remember right the transport managers name was Charlie, he banned me from the yard one day :smiley: I wont go into details though. We used to get work from them when we had none ourselves. Happy days :slight_smile:

BigG-Unit:
Can’t remember the name of the road they were in but it was at the bottom of a hill on left hand side opposite a cemetary. They had a fair few motors even back in the '80s.

The name of the road where lowes transport is powke lane, I go up and down it every day.

BigG-Unit:
Can’t remember the name of the road they were in but it was at the bottom of a hill on left hand side opposite a cemetary. They had a fair few motors even back in the '80s.

The name of the road where lowes transport is powke lane, I go up and down it every day.

Yes agree I said this back in 2009 in this thread :open_mouth:

any one no what happened to them they was about in the 70,s and early 80,s they used to run out of oldbury and bedford one bros lived at oldbury the other at bedford bricks up steel down good job then

I remember the name but I can’t get a picture of them, :confused: jog the old memory phil what did they run, what were the colours, where were they from? Sorry mate sounds like the 20 questions program.

altitude:
I remember the name but I can’t get a picture of them, :confused: jog the old memory Phil what did they run, what were the colours, where were they from? Sorry mate sounds like the 20 questions program.

colours grey and red a e c six wheelers Atkinson boarders then in 79 Volvo f10 you made it then

i am sure they are still going maroon and grey they are just called lowes now saw one in northern ireland the other week

didn’t they all have"555" in their registrations?

Still going strong

lowes-transport.co.uk

trucker.phil:
any one no what happened to them they was about in the 70,s and early 80,s they used to run out of oldbury and bedford one bros lived at oldbury the other at bedford bricks up steel down good job then

Phil, the Bedford part of Lowe Brothers were based in Wilstead and was the brother of the Birmingham Lowe Bros, Peter Lowe from Bedford sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago, he was a proper gent, I beleive he started on his own in the mid 60’s with a contract for Eastwoods at Kempston Hardwick, his son Chris has a light haulage business in Ampthill. I think they packed up in the mid 80’s when they sold the wilstead yard for building.

Hope this is some help :wink:

Kate and Big-G are correct, but the depot was not in Oldbury it was between Blackheath now known as Rowley Regis and Netherton on Powke Lane just befor the island. Lowes Transport, Powke Lane, Rowley Regis, West Midlands, B65 0AL and the Bosses name was Roy Lowe and if I remember right the transport managers name was Charlie, he banned me from the yard one day :smiley: I wont go into details though. We used to get work from them when we had none ourselves. Happy days :slight_smile:

Phil, the Bedford part of Lowe Brothers were based in Wilstead and was the brother of the Birmingham Lowe Bros, Peter Lowe from Bedford sadly passed away a couple of weeks ago, he was a proper gent, I beleive he started on his own in the mid 60’s with a contract for Eastwoods at Kempston Hardwick, his son Chris has a light haulage business in Ampthill. I think they packed up in the mid 80’s when they sold the wilstead yard for building.

I seem to remember them being called “K+D Lowe Brothers” and they often used to park in CAEC Howards yard in Rope Walk, another long gone Bedford haulier

Hi Colin in Sweden, What sort of time are you speaking of for doing work for Lowes and were you running your own motor(s) I was based in Bloxwich/Cannock area in '70s/'80s but always did a bit of subbie-ing (!) over the Black Country. People like Thomas & Guest, Gaydons, L.P. and Mark Nixon are some I recall, though never for Lowes, but wondered whether we ever crossed paths.

Big-G you have a PM

I used to have a lot of fun in the yard in Wilstead

lemonmouth:

trucker.phil:

Hope this is some help :wink:

Indeed Pete was a gent lemon, he was always there with a hair ruffle for me when I was a kid. I’m sure the family will be happy to know that we honour a great man in transport on our forum.

BTW my dad worked for them in the late 70’s early 80’s driving one of the aforementioned F10’s. I’m also sure that Pete would be proud to know that I followed dad into the industry, he was a great believer in keeping it in the family.

They never had the best of motors on the road,i used to park up with afew of them,Roger more,shane, and steve,and whoever else was up that way.we’d meet at castleford,ponty,wakefield or doncaster,whatever took our fancy,had plenty of beer and started about 9 on the friday.Oh the good old days.
Tonyb

I worked for LOWE BROS for 5yrs & they did have a depot in Oldbury near junc4 ov the M4, their wagons were grey. I think you are thinking of LOWES TRANSPORT which is another firm altogether. scrumpy