low wages

Evening all, I have had my class 1 for 6 years but only drive artic’s a handful of times due to difficulties getting a start, 2 years experience ect ect, so give up driving as was fed up doing class 2. Now I have been offered class 1 work but the pay is only 7.50 ph which is crap even for n.Ireland, on the other hand I really want to get back into driving, would i be mad to take it.

The wages arent good but looking for a job without 2 years experience of driving at £7.50 p/h is even worse

are you on more money driving class 2?

I personally wouldn’t bother, I was earning £9 driving a sprinter van just to put the wage into perspective.

I’m not driving class 2, I got fed up with multi drop which was paying more six years ago when I last drove.

Ask them for a decent wage maybe? If they can’t or won’t then you could just keep looking if you want to do the C1 work, or go with that company while you find somewhere better paid.

c1,2008:
Evening all, I have had my class 1 for 6 years but only drive artic’s a handful of times due to difficulties getting a start, 2 years experience ect ect, so give up driving as was fed up doing class 2. Now I have been offered class 1 work but the pay is only 7.50 ph which is crap even for n.Ireland, on the other hand I really want to get back into driving, would i be mad to take it.

Let me get this right. You’ve a class one licence and you’re not an experienced driver by your own admission. But you want to do it. It pays £7.50 per hour. And you want advice ? Here’s my advice for what its worth…don’t take the job, the pays crap. Hold out for £10 plus per hour, then when you apply tell them you’ve no experience, they’ll surely train you up. Just hold out for the good hourly rate, don’t sell your inexperience short.

Reaching the end of your tether Mike? :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
Reaching the end of your tether Mike? :smiley: :smiley:

I know we all like a moan about wages but they just seem to be gathering momentum. Its like the friggin favourite topic. I could be wrong but i have a stereo type in my head of every smart arse who could save up 2 or 3k to get a lorry licence, now thinks he’s Ayrton Senna or some sort of road expert. And…i’m sure its the fellas telling us everyone should be on 50k a year, then registering with a new name and asking how to strap a pallet down and can i work this saturday i’ve been on all week !! :laughing:
I think its hitting some of them hard that the qual they got is worth £7.50 PH, unless you’re good at what ya do !! :smiley:

Yeah I feel your pain mate, but I know where you’re coming from though. So to that end, once I become PM (see Calais thread) I’m gonna put provisions in that any new members of TNUK will have to be rigorously vetted by yourself, Rikki and every other mod before they are allowed to post. Perhaps we can pick up cheap some kind of “mystery bus” as featured on Scooby Doo and you can do photo diaries of your vetting road trips?

Or perhaps the cheep beer is getting to me a little too much? :smiley:

The DCPC is kicking in this way, and there are some good employers struggling to get drivers. Just take what you can get for now and build up your experience, and then trade up to a better paid job.

the maoster:
Yeah I feel your pain mate, but I know where you’re coming from though. So to that end, once I become PM (see Calais thread) I’m gonna put provisions in that any new members of TNUK will have to be rigorously vetted by yourself, Rikki and every other mod before they are allowed to post. Perhaps we can pick up cheap some kind of “mystery bus” as featured on Scooby Doo and you can do photo diaries of your vetting road trips?

Or perhaps the cheep beer is getting to me a little too much? :smiley:

Its the cheap beer mate. Thats all to complex. Work on a more basic level…driver on a happy wage. Wants to whinge about a low wage offered, why ? What other humanitarian thoughts go through their head ? World poverty, water shortage ? No. Low driver wages that they aint doin’ !! Go figure :smiley:

Christ. Ma first wage on class 1 doing bulkers was 4.50 ph.(1992) lol. Passed ma test the week before.
My advice.
Take it. Build up ur experience then move on.

I have over ten years experience on class 2. With kids and a mortgage I just don’t think doable.

c1,2008:
I have over ten years experience on class 2. With kids and a mortgage I just don’t think doable.

Well you’ve answered your own question. You’re gonna have to wait until you find someone to pay you what you need for your inexperience. What i can’t fathom out is your post is titled “low wages”, so you know its low, a few hours later you don’t think its “doable”. You must have known a few hours ago if you could live on £7.50 an hour ? Tip: don’t apply for a job if it requires Maths skills.

c1,2008:
the pay is only 7.50 ph which is crap even for n.Ireland, on the other hand I really want to get back into driving, would i be mad to take it.

It’s not for me to say weather you should take it or not. Only you know if you can live on £7.50 an hour. It comes down to how much you want to drive artics. Me personally,I only ever wanted class 1 driving. And I paid the whole £2500 myself because that was the one I wanted. I got my class 1 three years ago and was turned away from lots of places for having no experience. Eventually I got a chance from a company who dealt with containers. Was long days (usually 6am till 7-8pm) and a lot of sitting about while driving a '03 plate bone rattling Scania. But I used it as a stepping stone for 18 months and then I had the experience to apply for better paid jobs and I will always remain grateful to said company for giving me the chance I was desperate for. Now im on £12 an hour (albeit agency) because I can bypass the crap wage adverts and go for the ones with the bigger wages saying “experience required”.
Yes,I know plenty of you on here say we should refuse to work for that money to try and force wages up. But it’s not that easy for guys like OP. Someone will always take a low paid job just for the experience so why shouldn’t it be the OP? Guys with experience who have a job and only need to worry about finding better paid ones sometimes forget how hard it is to get a start.