LOW TREES

There is one thing that is getting on my nerves is the state of the trees,all over hanging our roads waiting for an unexspected lorry to hit and cause a lot of damage,its not just the damage but who foots the bill the land owner or the local council,when you go across the water its all neat and tidy and cut back,nobody cares anymore do they.

littleman:
‘…the state of the trees … nobody cares anymore do they…’

I care that we give £40,000,000 a day to fund Europe when needs such as these (and soldiers getting blown to bits every day, and minging hospitals, and thick kids) abound.

Ask your MP about it - they give the money to Brussels/Strasbourg since we continually vote for them to do it.

I suspect that this problem is caused by the fact that only the local council authorities are allowed to trim trees which overhang the road now. The bus company I work for (First) used to have an old open-top bus which they sent round all the routes used by their buses at least once a year (I used to drive it as it was licenced as a HGV not a bus and I had the necessary licence :wink: ) and trim any overhanging branches to stop them causing damage to the buses. We have not been allowed to do this for around 3-4 years now and the branches are getting thicker now after this length of time and causing lots of broken upstairs nearside wndows on the double deckers :imp: . Our depot (Weston-super-Mare) get an average of 1-2 windows broken nearly every week. It is worse when it has been raining heavily as the branches hang down lower then.
When a window is damaged the firm has to inform the local authority of the location of the offending branch and the council then has 28 days to remedy the situation, by which time many more vehicles have usually been damaged. Another victory for the “Nambie- Pambies” who are ruining this country :smiling_imp: . It amazes me that as a householder I can legally trim any vegetation which overhangs my property, but only certain people can trim trees which overhang a public road and cause damage to passing vehicles!
Nobody seems to be cutting back roadside bushes either, we seem to have them trimmed up to car wing mirror height and no higher causing them to catch the nearside mirror head when keeping anywhere near the kerb on the nearside. :angry:

Read an excerpt from Highways Act 1980 referring to trees overhanging highways:

(1) Where a hedge, tree or shrub overhangs a highway or any other road or footpath to which the public has access so as to endanger or obstruct the passage of vehicles or pedestrians, or obstructs or interferes with the view of drivers of vehicles or the light from a public lamp, or overhangs a highway so as to endanger or obstruct the passage of horse-riders, a competent authority may, by notice either to the owner of hedge, tree or shrub or to the occupier of the land on which it is growing, require him within 14 days from the date of service of the notice so to lop or cut it as to remove the cause of the danger, obstruction or interference.

For the purposes of this section the following are competent authorities - (a) in relation to a highway for which the Minister is the highway authority and which is in a district or London borough, the Minister and also the council of the district or, as the case may be, borough;
(b) in relation to a highway for which a local highway authority are the highway authority, that authority and also (outside Greater London) the council of the district in which the highway is situated;
(c) in relation to a road or footpath that is not a highway, the local authority in whose area the road or footpath is situated; and “hedge, tree and shrub” includes vegetation of any description.

(2) Where it appears to a competent authority for any highway, or for any other road or footpath to which the public has access -
(a) that any hedge, tree or shrub is dead, diseased, damaged or insecurely rooted, and
(b) that by reason of its condition it, or part of it, is likely to cause danger by falling on the highway, road or footpath, the authority may, by notice either to the owner of the hedge, tree or shrub or to the occupier of the land on which it is situated, require him within 14 days from the date of service of the notice so to cut or fell it as to remove the likelihood of danger.

(3) A person aggrieved by a requirement under subsection (1) or (2) above may appeal to a magistrates’ court.

(4) Subject to any order made on appeal, if a person on whom a person is served under subsection (1) or (2) above fails to comply with it within the period specified in those subsections, the authority who served the notice may carry out the work required by the notice and recover the expenses reasonably incurred by them in so doing from the person in default

Car transporters are the ones who suffer most from over hanging trees the legal maximum running height of a transporter in the UK is 16ft
and on most routes in the UK you will encounter tree damage to cars on a transporter running at 16ft, sadly councils dont give a monkeys!!! :cry:

kickstart:
‘…Nobody seems to be cutting back roadside bushes either…’

Stop being so pompously british (small ‘b’ intended).

Clearly, the Lisbon Treaty has brought with it the quaint charms of a Portuguese dirt track. Why not lighten up & enjoy some more realities of multiculturalism amongst the other retarded facets of diversity that we are told to crave…

Also, be bloody grateful …we probably have to pay the Greeks to grow their trees long.