Low riders.

Just a quick query from myself, it’s possibly been discussed at great length before here but alas, a search has turned up nothing.

I’ve spotted many arctics in the UK, usually of Polish origin cruising along with the rear suspension dropped right down and the tops of the mud guards missing. I’m not looking to start a Polish bashing thread or any kind of “should this be allowed” debate. I’m simply curious as to what the benefit is? There can’t really be any real weight saving advantage, perhaps it reduces drag and gives better mpg for long international drives?

It’s to get standard trailers under the 4.0m Euro height limit.

That makes much more sence. Not sure why a height issue didn’t cross my mind. :unamused: Thanks for that, I shall wonder no more!

We run them here to, Scania low rides. Can raise the 5th wheel from 960 level to 1250 keeps a mega cube trailer under 4, the mudguards have to come off as they would foul the trailer underside, the same underside takes careof any spray or debris that you might get without guards,

They are quick on and off so when solo or with a step frame they can be put back on

I drive a Scania low rider and as the others have said its a height thing

The only issue that I see at our depot with them are new drivers who are use to having 5th wheel ramps. So when they either try and ram under the trailer or pull away without dropping the suspension its bye bye mudguards and lights :open_mouth:

Dexter-M:
cruising along with the rear suspension dropped right down

its not dropped right down that is the proper ride height.
As the trailers cant be over 4metres high, they buy the lorries ‘low ride’ to make the internal height of the trailer higher than a standard trailer, but still keeping under 4metres, thus giving more internal space to fit more stuff in the trailer.

What Kindle said!

There’s a few HERE, albeit mainly UK motors.

Apart from 5th wheel and lower profile tires, what makes a low liner tractor unit low over a conventional one?

Is the suspension totally different, lower tanks etc ?

Are they better to drive being a lower center of gravity ?