Low ride.

Somebody is going to answer me with an obvious answer no doubt :smiley: , that has gone over my swede :unamused: …but here goes.
Why are low ride trucks and trailers not as popular, and more widely used in this country as they are in Europe?
It would cut down a hell of a lot on bridge bashing by the moron contingent at least, and would make a high percentage of roads more usable and accessible to trucks, than if they were running on standard height.
Can’t for the life of me remember the running height, but I remember getting under the 13’ bridge numerous times 2 mile from my house when I was on them.

Just a thought as I’m sat here bored ■■■■ less waiting to tip, watching a Dutchman in front of me with a low ride Euroliner outfit. :smiley:

robroy:
Somebody is going to answer me with an obvious answer no doubt :smiley: , that has gone over my swede :unamused: …but here goes.
Why are low ride trucks and trailers not as popular, and more widely used in this country as they are in Europe?
It would cut down a hell of a lot on bridge bashing by the moron contingent at least, and would make a high percentage of roads more usable and accessible to trucks, than if they were running on standard height.
Can’t for the life of me remember the running height, but I remember getting under the 13’ bridge numerous times 2 mile from my house when I was on them.

Just a thought as I’m sat here bored [zb] less waiting to tip, watching a Dutchman in front of me with a low ride Euroliner outfit. :smiley:

International traffic has a 4.0m height limit. Many outfits run at 4.2 or so, and “N****?” run at 4.4m, but that doesn’t make it strictly legal.
And some countries have national laws regarding heights, no pleasure running Swiss, Germany, the Low Countries(!) if high. So if you want more cubes you drop the floor, rather than raise the roof. But some of those low profile tyres are more costly than other sizes.

Probably because it costs more to set up, plenty of double deckers running in Europe at 4m, not only could it possibly reduce bridge strikes it would also save diesel, but as with most things connected to UK haulage if it costs more initially then firms are unlikely to invest in it even it will save you money in the long run. The quality of trailers in the UK is way below that of most European firms.

Won’t cut down on bridge bashing in the UK because due to the fact there’s effectively no height limit other than 16ft 6in the methods used to get those low trailers we’d just use to fit even more on a trailer. And in fact that’s exactly what happened with the pallet networks. They fitted low profile tyres, lowered the floors and it allowed them to get an extra couple of feet internal load height and stay under 16ft 6in. External trailer height still remained unchanged.

Volumes will drop which will increase the number of vehicles to carry the same amount of light loads.

Drive axle mudwings, i’m not sure about UK legislation but would you get away with running permanently with the top sections of drive axle wings removed, you’d need to, also with our higher weights in the UK and our barely fit for purpose road network i’m not sure how long our vehicles would last undamaged given the sheer number of junctions where you have to turn whilst in a dip, trailer front overhang likely to rip the catwalk to shreds on turns.

Bridge strikes are not an issue for lorry drivers, it would be just another layer of dumbing down to make everyone run under height because a few twerps who should never have been allowed anywhere near a lorry are allowed out unsupervised.

Juddian:
Volumes will drop which will increase the number of vehicles to carry the same amount of light loads.

Drive axle mudwings, i’m not sure about UK legislation but would you get away with running permanently with the top sections of drive axle wings removed, you’d need to, also with our higher weights in the UK and our barely fit for purpose road network i’m not sure how long our vehicles would last undamaged given the sheer number of junctions where you have to turn whilst in a dip, trailer front overhang likely to rip the catwalk to shreds on turns.

Bridge strikes are not an issue for lorry drivers, it would be just another layer of dumbing down to make everyone run under height because a few twerps who should never have been allowed anywhere near a lorry are allowed out unsupervised.

Running without the top sections of mud guards is legal as long you have a trailer on and are carrying the wing tops in case you need to move with no trailer on.

Mazzer2:

Juddian:

Running without the top sections of mud guards is legal as long you have a trailer on and are carrying the wing tops in case you need to move with no trailer on.

Thanks for that Mazzer, haven’t pulled a normal trailer (fridge/curtain) for so long i hadn’t a clue it was legal in the UK.
Why then do you see so many wrecked wing tops, when it takes seconds to remove and refit.

A lowride combination is more expensive to buy and much more costly in upkeep.

It also useless anywhere else than perfectly even ground. I remember a terminal in Porto where you had problems turning into the yard with a lowride, nevermind ferries and so on.

You don’t buy one unless you absolutely have to.

Juddian:

Mazzer2:

Juddian:

Thanks for that Mazzer, haven’t pulled a normal trailer (fridge/curtain) for so long i hadn’t a clue it was legal in the UK.
Why then do you see so many wrecked wing tops, when it takes seconds to remove and refit.

Iirc you can run without wing tops, if the clearance between too of tyre and bottom of trailer is less than 100mm(10cm)

10cm isn’t much to play with, i see some drivers having a right struggle to get under the fronts of heavily loaded curtainsiders in particular without scraping the wing tops.

Seems a lot of hassle when all it needs is drivers to pay attention to what they’re towing and where they’re going.