Low loader work

Anyone on here do low loaders? I’ve always been curious to what it actually in tales! Can anyone give any useful information? Many thanks dan

I did a bit of low loader work before I went on for my Dad. Did a lot of hiab work on and off the trailer and a bit with forklifts, mainly machine moving. Some jobs are a right pain in the ■■■ and others are a doddle. If you aren’t up for doing lifting, get doing a bit of work with a beaver tail trailer, that’s usually drive on drive off work.

I could tell you a tale or two! A lot depends on the company that you work for and what they need to be transported.I drove a low loader many years ago which involved carrying mainly plant vehicles but also a 22 ton crane which involved a police ■■■■■■.
The thing I remember most was the cut in as the rear axles were right at the back of the trailer.
Can be an interesting job if you like that sort of thing.

If you enjoy breaking kerb stones it’s the job for you.

It is a drivers job, I used to do it years back transporting my own machines about, strange how people give you so much more room when you have a big earthmover on the back, interesting work and its what you did your test for.

All depends on what you mean by low loader work.

Most plant, except the real big stuff, is moved on step frame trailers these days. The driver is usually expected to load/unload the machine and any ancillary equipment it requires, securing and marking it for transport and be aware of the ever changing dimensions that each load gives. Mostly this is done without assistance and frequently on your own. Also you will have to perform miracles when arriving at most sites where you will be expected to deliver unwieldy machinery, without marking as much as a blade of grass, despite the best efforts of everyone within a square mile to make your job as impossible as can be.

Proper low loaders are generally used on loads where the GWV is above 85T these days although there are exceptions. The driver is pretty much required to do as above although you have the added hassle in that your outfit will be much bigger and pretty much every load is subject to abnormal load restrictions regarding movement and routing.

This is a very simplified over view and there are plenty of rules and regs involved, especially with the heavy stuff. It can be a very rewarding job although it will also test you both physically and mentally almost on a daily basis. I spent nearly 10 years moving both civil and rail plant around and if the circumstances were right I would love to get back into it.

Cheers
Neilf

I’ve only done so far as moving agricultural vehicles and machinery and also commercial vehicles go. If a job came up locally which wasn’t tramping. … I’d have to think pretty hard about it!

SCANIA730:
Anyone on here do low loaders? I’ve always been curious to what it actually in tales! Can anyone give any useful information? Many thanks dan

Generally speaking, very mucky work and very hard graft if doing plant movements. Absolutely no fun in the wet/winter time up to your knees in mud/grease/oil trying to secure plant onto the bed, working with wet straps/chains and having to lug heavy sleepers about and soaked through to the skin. Summer time isn’t much better either, working in dust bowls, coming home looking like you’ve been up a chimney. The pay is nowhere near worth it for the hassle.

It’s dirty and cold lol -40 and breaking a foot of snow off the neck just to split it lol part from that I enjoy it. Have been shifting mostly farm equipment since Aug last year it can be a challenge at times but it’s worth it. I always get the customer to drive the kit off and on while I guide him that way can get the machine where I want it on the deck. I’ll see if the phone will let me post a few pictures.

Knowing my stupid phone some are probably sideways

Nice motor :sunglasses:
Can we see the inside of it?

She’s a 2012 Pete 388 with a 500 ■■■■■■■ under the hood and a dash like the starship enterprise