Low height 5th wheels

I’ve tried the search button, but i can’t find out why uk trucks don’t use them?

are they not approved by the MOT?

most uk fridges run at about 4.1m…and i’ve heard loads of stories of dropping suspension on unit when going “swiss”…could using low height solve this?

Surely it would be slightly more aerodynamical…and improve mpg…maybe

We use dual height fifth wheels on some of our fleet of Axor tractor units that most of the time pull our double deck trailers.The tractors have lowered suspension,and with the fifth wheel set in the low position,it must be about 8" lower than a standard height.The fifth wheel can be set to the high position when coupling to a standard trailer.
I’ve also seen them on some of B & Q’s FH 12’s.

had them at halfords on the fhs

I meant Halfords,not B & Q. Doh!

my topline has got a low 5th wheel as it used to b on the continent b4 we got them but has we run sliders i cant have runners fitted to my unit as the 1’s the fitter put on everytime i raised the mid-lift the caught the chassis on the trailer resulting in them being ripped off the unit

all of eu use them as standard, just wondered why we don’t…not the most pressing issue…i know :laughing:

eurodad:
all of eu use them as standard, just wondered why we don’t…not the most pressing issue…i know :laughing:

maybe because there’s a height limit over there but not here …

Your mudgaurd tops will get ripped off -thats why.

oh i see…but i’ve seen eu units with full mudguards, although granted, most don’t have the top bits, cheers anyway

Most of our European cousins run with 5th wheel heights of about 1150mm for standard units whereas we have1250mm as standard.
So if you pull european trailers with a standard Uk tractor a 4m tilt will actually be 4.1m because of this.I think it’s just because our old trailers were made this height where now most are european.
You normally find dual height 5th wheels on Mega units so they can pull standard trailers.

Look at any old British truck and it will have home made run up ramps made of scrap metal, with a fifth wheel plate bolted onto more scrap metal. The trailers were built from scrap metal too.

If you look at any Euro spec unit, it will have the plate designed to suit the chassis, mindful of the important 4.0 metre limit in Euroland.

I still see UK trucks with air suspension fitted with run up ramps. Why?

Wheel Nut:

The use of run up ramps is:

1- to stop drivers dropping trl. on rear mudguards

2- to help drivers hitch up a trl. that is too low

Although i agree with you that, there is no need for these ramps, if you drop/raise the suspension correctly, the problem is some drivers can’t be bothered or have’nt been trained properly.

Also for companies that have their units changing trls. 2 or 3 times a day, there’s bound to be driver error somewhere along the way, so it’s probably easier just to keep them fitted

Try picking trailers up of the dock then you see why we have run up ramps! :smiley:

But then you see drivers who doesn`t use air suspension at all.

grahamA:
Try picking trailers up of the dock then you see why we have run up ramps! :smiley:

But then you see drivers who doesn`t use air suspension at all.

GrahamA. I have probably done more ferry trailers than you are giving me credit for :wink:
Before air suspension we had to wind the legs up on loaded trailers with our own winding handles and a bolt or valve stem.

Run up ramps were originally designed to depress leaf springs gently rather than snap them like a carrot in cold weather.

If all the fifth wheel heights were standardised it would allay the problem of ramming an expensive unit into an expensive trailer and missing the pin :open_mouth: or even of fouling the trailer chassis running with a raised tag axle.

It happened all the time with these RTR hire trailers.

Wheel Nut:

Just saying why some UK trucks still have run up ramps! :unamused:
Yes was there before air suspension and it was a bloody pain, and we still get alot of trailers without winding handles, or winding handles to long so you hitting the trailer next to you!!!
So yes been there got t-shirt :laughing: