Low emissions?

What’s all this Low emissions b/s about in London?
I was coming out of London yesterday afternoon, (In my car), when I fell in behind a T plate London taxi that was kicking out so much black smoke I came to the conclusion he was running on coal dust, WTF?

TfL in Jan 2014:

“The Mayor has already delivered on a number of measures to address emissions from taxis and to retire the oldest vehicles in the London taxi fleet. In January 2012, a 15 year age limit was introduced for taxis along with a requirement that all newly licensed taxis must meet, as a minimum, the Euro-5 emissions standard. Around 3,000 of the most polluting taxis have also been removed from the London fleet. TfL has also undertaken a campaign to educate drivers on the fuel savings and reduced environmental impact that can be achieved by not leaving their engines idling at taxi ranks.”

All new London taxis to be zero emission from 2018, apparently

GasGas:
TfL in Jan 2014:

“The Mayor has already delivered on a number of measures to address emissions from taxis and to retire the oldest vehicles in the London taxi fleet. In January 2012, a 15 year age limit was introduced for taxis along with a requirement that all newly licensed taxis must meet, as a minimum, the Euro-5 emissions standard. Around 3,000 of the most polluting taxis have also been removed from the London fleet. TfL has also undertaken a campaign to educate drivers on the fuel savings and reduced environmental impact that can be achieved by not leaving their engines idling at taxi ranks.”

Thanks for that.
Do I get the impression that anyone outside London has to jump through all the hoops regarding emissions a bleedin’ sight earlier than those that squat there?

It will probably get worse now that that albino buffoon doris is on the tory parties payroll , in his so called zero hrs position ,Things may get really f*cked up in London and maybe elsewhere over the next 5yrs of hell

bestbooties:

GasGas:
TfL in Jan 2014:

Thanks for that.
Do I get the impression that anyone outside London has to jump through all the hoops regarding emissions a bleedin’ sight earlier than those that squat there?

I suspect you are right…the Mayor of London, being elected by London residents, is always going to find it easier to penalise those outside London than in it.

There’s a huge row brewing with coach drivers over the cycle superhighways, which will wipe out many of the most useful coach parking bays in London…but the coach drivers who use them generally don’t come from London, while the cyclists do.