low bridges

any one hit one? was it a scrape? or an all out disaster ?

i scraped one and was in a truck wen it was an all out disaster

scraped one myself daft mistake . bridge was same height as truck , id been driving the same flat bed for years thn out in curtain sider one day. hit a bridge i was used to going under every day :blush: but you learn from your mistakes i suppose . no damage to truck or bridge.

yeh when i did it the bridge was 4inchs higher then the truck but i stopped and crawled under it jst in case was either side of it was on a small hill lol jst a lil scrape on the truck. can try and post pics off the all out disaster 1 later though

aye go for it . 2 weeks after i scraped it i seen same bridge in paper . total disaster .felt sorry for the guy

yeah, just a scape. All because I panicked!!!

Was going under this bridge (as a newbie) and thought “hell thats close” so decided to brake a touch

as we all know, when you brake, the nose of the truck dips and the rear raises slightly (raising the 5th wheel.

This caused the front of the trailer to scrape the bridge. If I hadn’t braked i wouldn’t have scraped

i work out of manchester for r swains.but down at our main depot we do work for dhl and shunt up to a hub every night with tall 16fts since we got them 18months 2 yrs ago 6 to 8 of them i think every 1 has been put inot brigdes but they have been taken back to rochester depot stripped and rebuilt and put back on the road.i even thing 1 of them has been done twice.
spoke to the guy who does the work on them and all our other trailers and trucks after accidents and he says most of the high trailer damage is done by agency drivers.now every trailer the fleet has the hieght on the front of it in 5 inches letters so why is it when these guys hitch they never check the height.
personally i have not had to pull these high trailers at all.but when i do pull any trailer at all i always check the hieght of them so i never get caught out at all.
but ther is one place i have gone with a 15ft trailer and got under a 14,6 brigde with it every time.it is just off the A12 by the silos at ipswitch to get to the coop depot.when i spoke to a lad about he said that all are trailers are marked at 15ft but are actually only 14,6 when hitch up to our cf daf85.so now i do not go under brigdes under 15ft at all

no excuse even when the hight sign is missing. the driver must have a rough idea of the vehicle hight. if in dought stop and have a look. sorry but you can not come the old sign was not right if it looks low stop and check

no, touch wood

I caught one in Holland some years back, funny bit was I was going slow looking up at it, but the bridge was at a slight angle and the other side touched first, Opps!! pushed it back about 18ins on one side, did 18 years on car delivery after that and never hit one, plenty of trees though.