Low bridge on the A428 Althorp

Any locals know what the deal is with the bridge on the A428 at Althorp between Lodge Farm and Crick? Googlemaps shows it as 14’3 on 2009 street view but the new signs at the end of the bypass near Lodge Farm claim it to be 14’0 now. I know you can get round it by going through Great Brington but I’d rather not and that junction at the church is not ideal for artics.

I’ve always known it as 14’3 in the years I’ve lived just up the road, and embarrassingly not noticed the 14’0 sign on the garden centre roundabout!

Will check it out next time I’m in a car, but if I had any doubt I’d shoot down to the A45 via Sandy Lane and jump on the M1 at 16.

Its not 14’3. Our old trailers were 13’10" and went under it OK but we got some new ones at 14’3" and a driver tried it and we were told not to use it anymore. If you’re trying to jump the M1 night closures, once it gets to around 10pm the northbound traffic dies down enough that there is no advantage over following the diversion route which seems to flow very well on a night due to it mostly being HGV traffic at that time.

It is 14ft 3", is the sign for 14ft round or triangular? if it’s round you are prohibited, from even trying to use it, I used to use it with a Tesco fridge T/rs which were any where between 13ft 10"/ 14ft 2" that was before the new sign went up,

About 15 years ago I caught the rear bar on a roll on bin on that bridge, knocked it clean off, luckily there was no one behind me so I reversed, & chucked it in the hedge, probably still there if a local farmer hasn’t chucked it in his scrap pile yet.

:smiley: :smiley: I can confirm that 4.375m trailers based on a 1250 wheel will still go under there. And yes it is a round sign but at 2.30 am… :laughing:

Very handy while the M1 is shut at 16 northbound all this week. :smiley:

Handy to know, cheers.
Been looking at that too, currently using j15, a43, moulton park to a508 &a14.

Just to clarify, it is indeed a 14’0" round sign now, on the approach and on the bridge itself. Strange as no alterations appear to have been made to the road surface etc, but I’d still say it’s not a wise move to use that road if you exceed 14’0" now!

Dav1d:
Handy to know, cheers.
Been looking at that too, currently using j15, a43, moulton park to a508 &a14.

Split off left on the A5199 once you get clear of town instead of staying on the A508. Saves a few mins if you’re running light/empty.

I’ll give it a go sometime.