Loving the change to 4 on 4 off

Well I started the 4 on 4 off tramping at our place after 17 year of Mon-Fri tramping and I can honestly say it’s the best decision I have made work wise. Started going kickboxing and to the gym, buying a mountain bike to go out on the trails on my days off. The days at work fly by and no more worrying about getting stitched up on the Friday and running in Saturday. Get finished at a decent time on my last shift ready for the other driver to take over the next day.
Last Monday I finished about 17:00 and rang our lass and asked if she fancied going to the caravan in Filey so we set off when I got back and had 4 nights as a family which felt like a mini break and no need for holidays to be put in. Normally it’d be telling our lass that I wouldn’t know if I’d be back on the Friday then running in Saturday morning back to yard and straight off in car to caravan for a day and half. Can’t see me ever going back to any other shift pattern tbh.

Welcome to the light side mate. I’ve been doing 4on 4off for 7 years and would leave the industry before leaving the shift pattern. Wait til you book 4 off and actually get 12 days off. It never grows old.

There will be about 3 consecutive weekends in every 8 where you’re working over all of them, but it’s more than made up for by the 3 long ones you get off.

It’s certainly a shift pattern that interests me more and more.
Wouldn’t tramp it…mind

Id love to do it ,but I need the extra hours at the moment.

You will live longer and be healthier as it gives more time for body and mind to recover.

4 day weeks definitely are where it’s at. I’m not on 4 on, 4 off but I have Wednesdays and weekend off. Definitely put an end to that feeling of the week dragging.

And pre Chinese flu pandemic days , nothing stopping you having a dirty long weekend in Lisbon, Porto, Malaga, Warsaw or Paris by hopping on a paraffin parrot on cheep cheep air line .com
Savings made by booking in advance unless the planner stitched you up like a kipper.

I like my weekends off.
Thank you
And if I want to work weekends which I don’t it’s time half Saturday and double time Sunday.
:unamused:

Jack-knife:
I like my weekends off.
Thank you
And if I want to work weekends which I don’t it’s time half Saturday and double time Sunday.

I like the fact that after using my 20 days holiday I only work 5 months of the year thank you, plus the fact I’m earning nearly as much as I was grafting my knackers off on a 5 day week before :unamused:

Jack-knife:
I like my weekends off.
Thank you

Fair enough, when my kids were younger I was the same. After all, their school gave them weekends off and I doubt they would have changed that to fit in with my work pattern. Now they’ve grown and have their own lives I’m not so bothered, and there can be advantages to having time off in the week.

Whatever floats your boat :smiley:

Tarmaceater:
And pre Chinese flu pandemic days , nothing stopping you having a dirty long weekend in Lisbon, Porto, Malaga, Warsaw or Paris by hopping on a paraffin parrot on cheep cheep air line .com
Savings made by booking in advance unless the planner stitched you up like a kipper.

Chief wafflers in the house take no notice

Just started 4 on 4 off myself, class 2 and not tramping so ideal.

Jack-knife:
I like my weekends off.
Thank you

Having 3 kids I find I never have time for just me and the missus. So a 4 on 4 off rota allows me to have days off during the week, which will be idea when the kids are back at school, as well as having most weekends off to do things with the kids.

One of the biggest issues drivers talk about is relationships breaking down as you are away to much. This rota gives you basically a week off at a time.

I would love to do that shift pattern but rest of my family and friends work conventional hours and I would miss out on too much at the weekends unfortunately

chester1:
I would love to do that shift pattern but rest of my family and friends work conventional hours and I would miss out on too much at the weekends unfortunately

When I book holiday I tend to book 2 days, and book them at weekends. So end up working much fewer weekends over the year.

You work 26 weekends per year doing 4on 4off, but can get this down to around 16 if you’re strategic about booking holidays. That’s 34 out of 52 weekends off.

ezydriver:

chester1:

When I book holiday I tend to book 2 days, and book them at weekends. So end up working much fewer weekends over the year.

You work 26 weekends per year doing 4on 4off, but can get this down to around 16 if you’re strategic about booking holidays. That’s 34 out of 52 weekends off.

I’d then have no holiday entitlement left lol. Old firm had this shift pattern I was envious of the guys on it but as said miss out on to much especially most of what we do is off the cuff and not planned ahead lol

Just had a nice phone call off our gaffer saying we’ve just had a pay rise. From £34,417 a year basic to £40,000 :open_mouth: :smiley: over time after 12 hours a day at £19.10 an hour, extra shifts Mon-Fri at £16.75 Saturdays at £19.10 and Sundays at £25.60. Daren’t tell our lass :unamused: :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Just had a nice phone call off our gaffer saying we’ve just had a pay rise. From £34,417 a year basic to £40,000 :open_mouth: :smiley: over time after 12 hours a day at £19.10 an hour, extra shifts Mon-Fri at £16.75 Saturdays at £19.10 and Sundays at £25.60. Daren’t tell our lass :unamused: :laughing:

You down at Cawthorne? My mate just started this week down there on 4/4

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

You’ll been going back on 6 days a week :smiley:
You still on for Woodlands?