Lovell's Wharf

pete smith:
N.M.P,

You’re right there Pete,a "classic"car too,notice the geiser having a drink at the other side of the car?

David

Cockney Pete 3
Just browsing the Lovells Wharf thread and thought i’d add my bit.
During the 70s I loaded out of there many times with firms I worked for in the Bridgend area.
John Raymond, Joint Motorways, Blue Line/ D David& Sons . Great memories
Regards Mr Steel

windrush:

DEANB:

Cockney Pete3:
Ithought id fill out this a little. There where regular visitors, Bassett’s, John Raymond, Turners of Soham, A&H Davey, K Transport, Swains of Strood, Gills Tansport, Sheddick. Then loads of others D H Armitage, Silks, Clugston, Stiller, Phil Jenkins i could go on but im probably boring you all now…

Heres a Gill’s Transport DAF. :wink:

I assume that is Gill’s who are (were?) based at Four Ashes?

Pete.

Yes Pete, they have packed up now

5thwheel:

pete smith:
N.M.P,

You’re right there Pete,a "classic"car too,notice the geiser having a drink at the other side of the car?

David

Hi David,
Hope you are keeping well?
The lad needs a drink if he owns that Classic Capri, never thought much of them!

pete smith:

5thwheel:

pete smith:
N.M.P,

David

Hi David,
The lad needs a drink if he owns that Classic Capri, never thought much of them!

Hi Pete,

Yes generally good thanks,bit of a fluey cold at present,but on the mend now thankfully.

I preferred the rear of the Classic than the front,bit of a bitsa looking car really,I think Ford America may have had too much of an influence on the design.

David

5thwheel:

pete smith:

5thwheel:

pete smith:
N.M.P,

David

Hi David,

Hi Pete,

Yes generally good thanks,bit of a fluey cold at present,but on the mend now thankfully.

I preferred the rear of the Classic than the front,bit of a bitsa looking car really,I think Ford America may have had too much of an influence on the design.

David

Get a good slurp of a single malt down you! A nice mark 1 3000 GT would be nice!

Thanks to Dean, Pete for reviving an old thread. Remember all those firms well MRSteel except D David, any pics?

NMP.

Anyone know the make of the cranes ■■? :unamused:

Bloody good question that Dean, the scotch derricks date from the 40s i think and despite years of research theres very little information out there regarding the cranes.
What i do know is they where rated at 5 ton SWL and had a 120 foot jib, the crane on the left lasted until the ‘hurricane’ of 87 that did so much damage that meant it was too expensive to repair.
The small steam crane pre dates Shaw Lovell ownership, they took over in 1922 and started to redevelop the wharf.

This crane was originally from Dublin port, made by Butters and lifted 20 ton with a 100 foot jib, made a hell of a noise with a heavy coil under the hook

Cockney Pete3:
This crane was originally from Dublin port, made by Butters and lifted 20 ton with a 100 foot jib, made a hell of a noise with a heavy coil under the hook

I dont know much about crane manufacurers Pete,but heres a bit about Butters cranes.

Click on page to read.

butters c1.PNG

NMP 1980’s.

Thats the view i remember from my childhood.

Lovells on the right, handling mostly steel
Wimpey Asphalt next door. Tarmac batcher
Badcocks Wharf was used for paper reels, overspill from Erith Deep wharf
Pipers Wharf, famous barge builders
The next yard was STC, making submarine cablins
The silos are at Tunnel Refineries, glucose manufacturers

Does anyone remember loading at Lovell’s Wharf in Greenwich, im interested particularly in the 70’s to when the yard shut in 1989. Im looking for operators, fleet details and hopefully photos. I grew up next to the wharf and i used to stand by the gate taking down the details of the wagons that pulled up that day, over a hundred a day loading steel and aluminium mostly. The reason for asking is im halfway through a model of the wharf, i have a list of around 60 hauliers from memory but details and liveries are a bit sketchy. Thanks all.

Cockney Pete3:
Does anyone remember loading at Lovell’s Wharf in Greenwich, im interested particularly in the 70’s to when the yard shut in 1989. Im looking for operators, fleet details and hopefully photos. I grew up next to the wharf and i used to stand by the gate taking down the details of the wagons that pulled up that day, over a hundred a day loading steel and aluminium mostly. The reason for asking is im halfway through a model of the wharf, i have a list of around 60 hauliers from memory but details and liveries are a bit sketchy. Thanks all.

Cockney Pete,I used to drive for Humber McVeigh’s from Salford,Manchester in the early/mid 70’s,used to collect steel coils from Lovell Wharf,take back’up north,Sheffield,Leeds,wherever,usually on a flat trailer with loose boards,so you could use it as a coiler,good days.

Hope this bit of info may help your project.

Rgds,

David :laughing:

Hi,
In that period Lovells wharf was owned by Craddock Bros from Coven Heath nr. Wolverhampton, they had the contract for hauling the zinc ingots that came in on the boats. The yard foreman was named Tom and he also delivered small ingot deliveries local in the South East on a 7.5 t Merc. I used to stop with him in digs in Tunnel avenue and sometimes if his motor was off the road I gave him a lift back home to W-ton at the weekend.
Craddocks only ran a dozen or so motors and subbed most of the work out, They ceased trading about 89 and their work was taken on by Squires of Bloxwich, they also had the contract to haul the ingots from Avonmouth docks.
At that time I contracted for Delta metals who owned Delta wharf in tunnel avenue.

Hiya…you could load of Lovell,s in Runcorn or Garston in the 70,s was,nt that where John o,farrall did the paperwork
( he always had a white raincoat on)… stopped of in Cannock today for a chat with a chap Dennis Smith his missus
is the daughter of the mr Squires nice lass makes a good cuppa.
John

port talbot based joint motorways loaded coil,flat,beems and bar steel from lovell’s for many years.didn’t the east london division become a part of seaconn’s of millwall.
regards andrew

Cockney Pete3:

I used to load there in early 80s, for KTS (blue 2800 flat trailer)loading for Scotch, sometimes wide loads which were a bit dodgy when coming out due to parked cars on the road out. :imp: I remember the old guy in despatch was called Charlie, a canny bloke that was always helpful, did you know him? and what happened to the site is it still there derelict, or been built on now?

Got some good memories of Lovells Wharf, Pete. (Except unless RobRoy :wink: :wink: or one of his KTS team-mates, had nicked my parking place in that dead-end just outside the Out gate-- and I had to then make my way with no card in to that Industrial Estate about 2 mile along the A13).

I used to go in there with Burnholme Transport from Penrith --( Usually Green Volvo F86,s) up untill 1980. Then with Dark Blue Scanny 111,s and 112,s for DK & JA Lee of Shap. ( are GHS842T or A56EAO in your book?)

I can,t find any pictures in my files at the minute. When/if I do, I,ll post them.

I used to love setting off out of there with a 4 to 6 foot overhang on my trailer, and an improvised marker board on the back. Which the lads in the yard had helped me to make. Especially getting round that “T” junction at the end of the street, and that “U” turn back on to the A13 ■■, when there were cars parked up all along the road.

The people in that yard were great. Always helpful and good for a laugh. Thanks for the memory Pete.