Loved every minute of class 1 training assessment

Class 1 assessment booked for next Wednesday.

Can’t belive I’m actually going to drive an arctic. Everything has been leading up to this. The saving, theory test, wearing my lucky pants and cutting toe nails before taking class 2 test.(I’m not superstitious at all)

I just hope it’s everything I want it to be. I’m still amazed at the sheer size of these things and I wonder if I will manage it.

Any tips regarding first drive will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Don’t worry. So far as size goes, the w+d you learned on is only 1 metre shorter than a normal artic (13.6m trailer). Simple solution to the steering is : make the sharp end (the bit you’re sat in) go the long way round any junction or bend. Remember that a roundabout is nothing more complicated than a series of bends - left, right and left. So position it accordingly.

Don’t rush. If you’re not sure about the controls, ask. Nobody expects a newly qualified driver to know everything. You’ll earn respect by asking sensible questions.

You could, of course, come back and have time on an artic for comfort as an alternative.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the advice Pete. The guy that booked me in said Tim would be going out with me which is great as he taught me in the eurocargo. Call me old fashioned but I want to learn and pass in an arctic.
Dan

Dan,you are right in my opinion to train in an artic.

3 months ago I was where you are now. Now I can spin the thing on a sixpence,get it into some seriously tight gaps,blindside into docking bays etc.

Its the first week or two that cause you some teething problems,but now I can honestly say I prefer driving my artic to my car!!

In class 2’s ,car drivers tend to try and push you around a little. In an artic they [zb] themselves mostly when they are near to you!!
You will love it mate. Its amazing how they bend around. Much easier to drive than a rigid with a turning circle similar to an ocean liner lol.

Thanks for the advice Pete. The guy that booked me in said Tim would be going out with me which is great as he taught me in the eurocargo. Call me old fashioned but I want to learn and pass in an arctic.
Dan

My apologies. Totally misread the OP. Thought you were going for a pre-employment assessment.

Will curl up in my comfy armchair with the Horlicks, pipe and slippers!

BTW, enjoy the assessment. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Had class 1 training assessment today and loved it. I found the Man Arctic great to drive and I negotiated several mini islands and even did a reverse! Booked to do training in July in petes tgx xxl so can’t wait.

You’ll love it! And thanks for the booking.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

They really are so much better to drive than a horrible rigid

Ive been in one of our 12 tonne turds today Dave.

Awful experience. Crappy DAF LF with a seat position when fully back that’s only any good for Ant & Dec. 180 hp engine. Gutless piece of sh*t. Add to that the turning circle of the Ark Royal. You wont look back soon mate!

eagerbeaver:

Awful experience. Crappy DAF LF with a seat position when fully back that’s only any good for Ant & Dec. 180 hp engine. Gutless piece of sh*t. Add to that the turning circle of the Ark Royal. You wont look back soon mate!

You have such a way with words lol, :grimacing:

’ In order to seek the truth,one must speak the truth.’

E. Beaver 2015. Acknowledgements to yt03; A man who recognises it.

eagerbeaver:

I always thought my old LF 12 tonner had an awesome turning circle, but I had been driving a MAN 7.5 before it. I had a 220 engine in mine, went like the clappers. It’s hardly been used since I left, wonder if they’d flog it to me. lol. I’d gladly sack my car off for that. Used to fly around London in it. Was getting better mpg than the bulk of the 7.5 lads too.

Little wonder our 12 tonners with 250 in go well then!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

eagerbeaver:

On the subject of ships and seats, what’s with the seats in arctics? Feels like driving sitting on a bouncy castle!
Note to self- Take sea sickness tablets when training :smiley:

Moonpigdan:

eagerbeaver:

On the subject of ships and seats, what’s with the seats in arctics? Feels like driving sitting on a bouncy castle!
Note to self- Take sea sickness tablets when training :smiley:

There is a switch/lever or whatever you want to call it, to adjust said bounciness. On all the air seats I’ve used, it’s the second one back on the right hand side just behind the one that dumps the air out completely.

You are right about those MAN vans Paul. Quicker to get recovered by a crane than do a 134 point turn in some old biddys driveway.

As regards the seats on an artic,they have to have so many settings and positions because superior beings MUST be comfortable when plying their trade. My Scania has a very handy reinforced pocket in the dash for my wallet.