Lost my no claims discount wtf?!

So I Got a new car recently and received a request for proof of no claims. I gave it to them and they told me because its older than two years it counts for nothing!!

That’s common nowadays. Use it or lose it.

i had the wife on my motor traders policy for 3 years and when she went to insure in her own name she lost her ncb as it lapses after 2 years.

I didn’t know until recently that you can only use your no claims discount on one car at a time.

I tried to insure the wife’s new car in my name to get it cheaper as I’ve more NCD only to be told I couldn’t as I’m using my NCD on my car.

Yeah you also can’t transfer NCB from motorcycle to car and visa versa, but they want to know about any claims from either modes of transport. Scum of the earth insurance companies are worse than agencies!

As a professional driver, You can get a letter from your employers insurers to confirm that you’re a low risk. Then again you may drive like mr magoo for all i know, So it might be a bad idea. :laughing:

I found out NCB counts for next to nothing when you get a bit older, 2 quotes 2 different companies, one with 0 years NCB and one with 5 years NCB, hardly any difference in price, and a lot cheaper than my renewal quote, but to be fair they did match it!

I think it’s a two year gap for it to lapse - ie two years in which you had no insured vehicle on the road anywhere in your name.

If you were on someone else’s policy as named driver, then providing the “multi driver” insurance didn’t have any claims from any of the drivers, as well as yourself, the NCB should be intact as that insurance holder should be able to provide evidence of being on theirs with no claims.

Whatever happened to insurance companies talking to EACH OTHER with regards for so-called “Proof of no claims”?
FFS - “Hey bud, has this guy ever claimed through you? - Nope? Ok. That’s proof enough for us.”
I thought insurance records were like credit records these days - there’s only a handful of places where your details, claims, and driving history are all marked down - and it ain’t DVLA in this instance, or THEY would be providing any “proofs” needed by anyone asking for £3 a pop - yes? :confused:

limeyphil:
As a professional driver, You can get a letter from your employers insurers to confirm that you’re a low risk. Then again you may drive like mr magoo for all i know, So it might be a bad idea. :laughing:

I doubt very much that would work, the cost of insurance is based on statistics and we’re high risk!

Tarrman:
I didn’t know until recently that you can only use your no claims discount on one car at a time.

I tried to insure the wife’s new car in my name to get it cheaper as I’ve more NCD only to be told I couldn’t as I’m using my NCD on my car.

did not know this either! i just uploaded my proof of no claims for my 2nd car, 2 different insurance companies, does that mean they will not let me use it? :open_mouth:

a couple of years ago my ins at the time swinton, well i moved at the end of the policy as they were not cheap, they would not send proof of no claims, as they said I had a accident, which i had not and asked for details, the only details were a tel call to the local office saying I had had an accident… no names, nothing, no claim… took ages for ombudsman to get it removed so i can continue with NCD…

Had the same thing when I had a company car.

Best thing to do is buy a 50cc moped and keep it insured.

rambo19:
Best thing to do is buy a 50cc moped and keep it insured.

Got to agree with that. I’ve got a 50cc scoot that’s not been ridden for years (goes in van for MOT) but I still have a Riders Policy - anyone remember them? So for the £20 a year I pay it’s invaluable.

kaode:

Tarrman:

did not know this either! i just uploaded my proof of no claims for my 2nd car, 2 different insurance companies, does that mean they will not let me use it? :open_mouth:

I think that would be fine if you have had two cars and built up NCD on each. I’ve only ever owned one car up until recently where I tried to use my NCD built up with one insurance company on another policy at the same time. If that makes sense. You can only transfer from one car to the next. If you have NCD with two insurance companies then you have two lots of NCD to play with.

Saaamon:

limeyphil:

I doubt very much that would work, the cost of insurance is based on statistics and we’re high risk!

That’s right , we are considered as complacent behind the wheel as we drive all day ! Crazy , also I found when I went to renew my insurance it shot up , I asked why & queried it , reason was because the year before I was involved in an accident at work where some plonker came too fast round a bend & hit the front of the lorry & as a result my name & details were on the database as being involved in an accident & ongoing claim , I argued & disputed it , eventualy after a long time they came to their senses , well after the crash investigation report was sent to them …

dle1uk:
a couple of years ago my ins at the time swinton, well i moved at the end of the policy as they were not cheap, they would not send proof of no claims, as they said I had a accident, which i had not and asked for details, the only details were a tel call to the local office saying I had had an accident… no names, nothing, no claim… took ages for ombudsman to get it removed so i can continue with NCD…

I had a similar problem with them a couple off years ago. ,so I get the renewal quote and it were £150 or so higher than previuos year, which was half as much again than the previous year. So I do some searching and find something cheaper,I ask Swinton for proof of no claims and buy the other insurance, after about a month and several phone calls and emails to Swinton I still hadnt got the proof of no claims, then the new Insurer(kwik fit) were getting a bit arsy, so when I spoke to Kwik fit they said give us your old policy details and we’ll contact them direct. Next day the the guy from the Kwik fit rings me and says that Swinton claimed I had 3pts on my licence other than tha 3pts which were spent but within the 5 years parmetor that they knew about, I had to send a photo copy off my licence to them to prove that I was giving the correct info to them. Swinton are complete areses, and I’d been insuring with them for about 5 years, and had allways got a reasonable quote not the cheapest but I was happy enough with, but I will never do any business with again :smiling_imp:

kemaro:

Saaamon:

That’s right , we are considered as complacent behind the wheel as we drive all day ! Crazy , …

They really do make it up as they go along. I was told in a similar vein “that as you have been driving for a whole day, you’ll be fatigued at the wheel when returning home” as in at the end off your shift, to which I pointed out and this was directed to the lass on the phone “so youre a high risk as being stuck behind a monitor in a call center you’ll be mentaly fatigued too”, “oh no I love my job, it doesnt make tired” she says,“me too” I reply, but she dont make the rules she just reads them out. :unamused: