Lost in Translation

Anyone got any amusing stories where there’s been a language ‘issue’?

I’ll give you an example of what happened to me in Belgium in the summer of 2006.
Me and the Belgian forkie had just finished hand-balling a load (yes it does still happen) onto my trailer on this absolutely blistering day - 41 degrees according to my dashboard- and we were walking back to the office drenched in sweat when the conversation goes as follows:-

Forkie- ■■■■?

Me: :open_mouth: Pardon?

Forkie- ■■■■? You want some?

Me: (about to draw my fist back) Do i want some ■■■■?

Forkie: Yes! (points to the vending machine) Cocka Cola. You want some?

Me: Ahhh (the penny drops) Yes please. I’ll have some ■■■■.

And fair play to him, he stuck a Euro in and bought me a can. :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: hehe had me laughing…at least he bought you a drink which was a nice gesture…see thee are some nice fork drivers out there…

jayeastanglia:
see thee are some nice fork drivers out there…

Oh they’re everywhere mate…its just you wont find any in our “great” country!

Many years ago I was shareing a house with several people in South Africa. We were having a barbecue and an Austrian guy who was doing the cooking asked me to go into the kitchen and get the lemon paper. I found the cling film and the tin foil but not the lemon paper. He kept shouting, hurry up with the lemon paper. After searching all the cupboards and draws, I said I can’t find it.
When he came in to the kitchen, he pointed at the spice rack and the jar of Lemon Pepper and said " what do you call this in English" ? :blush: