Lost for words

Tipper Tom:
Over 65 they should have to retake their test (all of it) every five years.

Over 75 retake every year

Over 80 banned

Yes, and you’ll stick to that till you’re approaching 65 and you realise it’s gonna cost you. It would not happen anyway, any government who proposed it on your terms would face immediate electoral defeat.

Older drivers are not necessarily bad drivers. I’d far sooner make a compulsory eyesight test a condition of insurance after age 50, then repeat every five years. No proof of test, insurance invalid. Get caught, go to jail, do not pass go, etc.

Tipper Tom:
Off topic slightly but where do you out your sat nav

In the lorry I have mine in the top right side of the screen because the chances of me having to react to anything in the sky is limited at best.

In the car it’s in the dash and the van it’s behind the arm if the rear view mirror (again because I won’t have to react to anything in the sky)

I tend to listen to the sat nav more than watch it anyway

Volvos are great for this as the big cubby hole to left fits mine nicely, I place a ■■■ packet up the corner to sop it wobbling so I dont have to stick it down. As my eyesight isnt that good I find this is the best place.

Being on agency I can tell where all the other buggers have had theirs with the big circle marks on the windscreen.

would never mount a Sat-nav on a screen.
mine mounts on dash of my daf. doesn’t obscure the screen at all,
same in car.

pet hate seeing Navs on screens blocking views.
plus it is an offence to mount a Sat nav in screen band a or b.
instant mot fail if mount in that area!

Eyesight test is already part of your HGV medical every five years from age 45. No pass no licence etc.
As for the sat nav I only use it to find out my arrival time so it’s mainly in the bag. I prefer the map book.

Tipper Tom:
Off topic slightly but where do you out your sat nav

In the lorry I have mine in the top right side of the screen because the chances of me having to react to anything in the sky is limited at best.

In the car it’s in the dash and the van it’s behind the arm if the rear view mirror (again because I won’t have to react to anything in the sky)

I tend to listen to the sat nav more than watch it anyway

Bottom right of the windscreen, If I could I’d have it on the centre console but there is no surface it will stick to and I don’t want to start modifying someone else’s truck.

10-08:
Bottom right of the windscreen,

Mine too

Dipper_Dave:
Being on agency I can tell where all the other buggers have had theirs with the big circle marks on the windscreen.

I’m proper fussy about that. Always have to clean them off before going anywhere.

Same for footprints on the windscreen :unamused:

dri-diddly-iver:

10-08:

Mine too

Same for me

brados:
I have a papery map.

Same here mate, my droid thingy phone has two sat navs on it, one for cars and one for trucks, I think I used the car one once in the last year when we were driving to our holiday hotel in some out of the way ■■■■■■ town in Connecticut.

The truck I have has a reverse camera screen screwed to the middle of the dash within the sweep of the wipers. It was fitted by the supplying dealer from new and has been through 6 MOT’s with it aswel. So ■■■■ knows. :confused:

Slackbladder:
Eyesight test is already part of your HGV medical every five years from age 45. No pass no licence etc.

It is for us… so why should it be any different for car drivers? Just because our lorries are bigger does not mean that their eyesight can be worse.

Anyone around the age of 50 will know that print magically gets smaller as you approach that age, starts with you blinking a bit to refocus and ends up at Specsavers a few months later. OK it doesn’t necessarily mean you need specs for driving straight away but your eyesight does deteriorate, particularly your peripheral vision. Once that goes, your all-round observation goes with it and you become a greater risk to yourself and other road users; trouble is it don’t happen overnight and many car drivers simply don’t notice till its too late and they hit something, or worse, someone.

selby newcomer:
It’s the foreigners who make me laugh, driving around with 2 sat navs on the go at once, I really can’t see the point or am I missing something

Before I was made redundant (October), I had 2 sat-navs on the go most days. Though I kidded the yard guys it was so I could be in 2 places at once, the real reason was that the Snooper Truck Nav took me places, but the bluetooth was rubbish, and the TomTom (car version) wasn’t good at avoiding crappy roads or low bridges, but the bluetooth connectivity and cracking speakers were excellent for keeping in touch. Raised a few eyebrows, though. :laughing: :laughing:

dri-diddly-iver:

10-08:

Mine too

Do you not find that it blocks your view of pedestrians coming from the right?

Tipper Tom:

dri-diddly-iver:

10-08:

Mine too

Do you not find that it blocks your view of pedestrians coming from the right?

Not really because what it blocks was in your view a few seconds before and tbh if the pedestrians are that close you should probably stop driving on the pavement. :wink:

When I got stopped by vosa before I had it in the middle of the windscreen as it was cloister to the ■■■ socket. Vosa told me to put it to the right hand side of the windscreen

Smoggie89:
When I got stopped by vosa before I had it in the middle of the windscreen as it was cloister to the ■■■ socket. Vosa told me to put it to the right hand side of the windscreen

Sometimes I think they just have to say something, there’s nothing to ■■■■■ about, nowt wrong with truck or tacho, pick on the sat nav. If your sat nav wasn’t there, they’d have pointed out that your steering wheel was too shiny and you could easily lose grip or the glare off your marque badge on the steering wheel is a danger so stop polishing it

waynedl:

Smoggie89:

Sometimes I think they just have to say something, there’s nothing to ■■■■■ about, nowt wrong with truck or tacho, pick on the sat nav. If your sat nav wasn’t there, they’d have pointed out that your steering wheel was too shiny and you could easily lose grip or the glare off your marque badge on the steering wheel is a danger so stop polishing it

I think that’s what it was as there was a little cut in 1 of the mudguards and he said defect that and move ya sat nav lol