Loss of Confidence

Hi, I’m Andy, and am new to the site. I passed my class 1 6 years ago. I had approached a local distribution company beforehand who had said they could give me work at weekends which suited me initially as I could keep my existing job. Passed my test on the Thursday, phoned the company who asked if could drive to Milton Keynes on the Friday night. No worries with that and the run was pretty simple. Nobody told me about the steering axle on the trailer tho, and that I had to lock the axle to reverse onto the bay. You can appreciate the mess I got in to!!

Couple more trips later I was sent to Birmingham to collect pallets. This was about my fourth trip out. Ended up towards city centre, totally lost, and had to turn in a housing estate blocking a road while I was trying to reverse! Dry mouth, soaked in sweat, I eventually got it round, found the place, collected and got back to depot. Since the I haven’t driven. Knocked my confidence big time, and whilst i really want to start driving again, the thought of it sends me into a panic after these things happened with no experience. Any tips you guys can give me?? Sound like a right wus don’t I !!!

Andy

You need something like this lorrydrivertraining.co.uk/co … aining.htm scroll down to refresher training. You should find a trainer near you to to do it with

Firstly it sounds like you got thrown in at the deep end on your first run, and someone should have had the decency to run you through the trailer axle set up, the other one sounds about normal, theres always some smacktard bound to pull up when your in a pickle, just ignore them, after all chances are they havent a clue what it takes to manouver an artic and there wasnt any damage or injuries. Getting mildly stuck/lost somewhere happens think about getting a truck atlas and a hgv sat nav that should help a bit, then just get out there and drive. you know you can do it you passed your test. :slight_smile:

Look on the positive side you will learn from your experience. There is so much to learn so if your not sure dont be afraid ask someone.

The way I see it, if I take a wrong turn, get in a pickle and have to turn around blocking the road. People can either moan about it or let me get on with it. If they chose the latter and not the former, well I am more than happy to sit there all day if that’s how they want to play.

I had a similar scenario myself 3-4 weeks ago, although rather than being stuck I had to make a delivery which resulted in the road being blocked for 10-15 minutes. Obviously after that length of time there was a queue of people wanting to get through, the ones behind were being patient as were most of the ones in front. When it comes to moving off though one idiot from in front of me decided to drive up to me practically bumper to bumper and refuse to move, basically expecting me to reverse. That wasn’t going to happen when I have 10+ cars up my backside.

In the end I got out went over to the cars behind and in front of me and said “really sorry about this but as you can see the idiot in the green car is refusing to move to let me through so everyone can continue moving”, after a few more minutes people started getting impatient and a couple of fairly big chaps walked down from behind me, walked right past and went to the idiot in front, telling him to move is backside NOW before he gets a clobber around the head, in less polite words :slight_smile:

He soon moved out the way, and because everyone could see what was happening, those in front of me pushed up slightly so the only way this idiot was going to get out the way was to reverse on to the main road and have to take the long way around.

Justice was served!

Thanks for your comments an advice. Think refresher training sounds ideal, and knowing that these things can happen to even experienced drivers is good to know! Thanks again :smiley:

Why don’t you try for a job on class 2’s to start with, then when you feel ready go for class 1 work.

I got told to always look before you turn in, if in doubt pull up before your turning (safely of course) and check your map or get out and have a little walk. Saves getting into a mess.

That was a bit of advice given to me by an experienced trucker.

Tarrman:
I got told to always look before you turn in, if in doubt pull up before your turning (safely of course) and check your map or get out and have a little walk. Saves getting into a mess.

That was a bit of advice given to me by an experienced trucker.

And good advice that is too!

Although personally I would file that under “common sense”, but we’re not all fortunate enough to be equipped with that. :wink:

As they say “common sense isn’t so common any more”

Do not give up Andy, it is a minor set back, and i get lost all the time, and have got in sticky situations, it is the nature of the job.
A few times going down lanes i have thought it would be a crane job to get me out, we all make mistakes, ignore the cars waiting and beeping their horns, they should have got up earlier and are in a mood and blame you for a hold up.
I passed my class one in 91, and learning all the time,if you do not know the area it is not your fault.Get on the horse and start riding again as the saying goes.
Transport planners are too lazy to check if the truck is the correct size to fit down rural lanes, they should send a smaller one but are just trying their luck and the driver will sort it out.All they have to do is go on Google maps.

I went into the middle of Nottingham last week on my fourth day in my new job, and first day in a different truck (slightly bigger than I’d had for the first three days, and a manual box not auto). First collection was right in the city centre and I almost missed it so ended up driving in nose first and giving myself a tricky shunt or two to turn around. Second collection was another tricky reverse and shunting job to get round the back down a little alley which was also a building site with cars, fences and a cherry picker in the way! Third collection was on Nottingham Road in Arnold - traffic was nose to tail in both directions so I had to pull onto the kerb on my nearside and run across the road to go check with them where I was picking up, then go turn round in a car park to come back at the place from the opposite direction and then pull across oncoming traffic and block the road to reverse down another alley! Managed all three with no dramas and minimal fuss, and was quite proud of myself when I looked back on it later! :smiley:

Stick at it, and as someone else said maybe try 7.5t/class 2 work for a bit til you build your confidence back up.

andyH1967:
Hi, I’m Andy, and am new to the site. I passed my class 1 6 years ago. I had approached a local distribution company beforehand who had said they could give me work at weekends which suited me initially as I could keep my existing job. Passed my test on the Thursday, phoned the company who asked if could drive to Milton Keynes on the Friday night. No worries with that and the run was pretty simple. Nobody told me about the steering axle on the trailer tho, and that I had to lock the axle to reverse onto the bay. You can appreciate the mess I got in to!!

Couple more trips later I was sent to Birmingham to collect pallets. This was about my fourth trip out. Ended up towards city centre, totally lost, and had to turn in a housing estate blocking a road while I was trying to reverse! Dry mouth, soaked in sweat, I eventually got it round, found the place, collected and got back to depot. Since the I haven’t driven. Knocked my confidence big time, and whilst i really want to start driving again, the thought of it sends me into a panic after these things happened with no experience. Any tips you guys can give me?? Sound like a right wus don’t I !!!

Andy

Andy, I’m having a giggle at your post - in the same way you will be doing in a year from now when thinking back at that job.

I’ve felt that same cold sweat, the blood pump to my head and thinking to myself “bitten off more than I could chew!”

You won’t be the first, and surely not the last. As time goes by you’ll build a map up in your head and knowledge \ experience will kick-in and you’ll know when things need double checking. Call it instinct or common sense, either way it will come.

DON’T LOSE CONFIDENCE mate. You got there and got the job done.

P.S. I hate Brum as well :wink:

why dont you give a clue as to where you are someone might let you go out with one of their trucks double manned to give you a little guidance and practise.

Hi mate ive been in these situations on a few occasions and as someone said earlier dont sweat it too much, not worth the heart attack, just take plenty of time and double check everything before entering any yard or residential road.after a while you take every situation as it comes youll soon stop freting as much. remember plan every thing before going in.lots of other drivers will help if you get stuck even car drivers will help,Dont give up it took me almost a year to do what i have said, just wish id taken my own advise then as i wouldnt have got into half the problems if i only asked.Good luck

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to my comments. Its reassuring to know that things will get better and that even the most experienced guys have faced the same problems. Have thought about doing some rigid work. That might help with the confidence. And if anybody does want a passenger to get some tips, i’m in the shrewsbusy/mid wales area!!

…oh and apologies to anybody waiting at the Tescos depot in Milton Keynes in April 2006 for the newbee to get his trailer onto the right bay instead of the one either side. You now know why!!!

Hi again you are better off sticking with the artic as rigids just slow your progress,well that`s what i found anyway,i also found a lot of rigid work are shops in villages and can be just as frustrating.just my opinion