Loss of confidence

Talking to a driver yesterday who iv known a while says he is looking to got away from driving trucks because he has “lost the edge” he said.
Basically he doesn’t have the confidence he once had.
He is only 39 and I worked with him for quite a while but he said he has started worrying about tight deliverys and going to new places and seems to lack the spirit he once had too.
Anyone else known this happen to a driver??

Is it the job or is something in his personal life making him depressed, and i don’t mean feeling a bit ■■■■■■ off with summat either.

Pressures at home for any one of a thousand reasons for example.

Juddian:
Is it the job or is something in his personal life making him depressed, and i don’t mean feeling a bit ■■■■■■ off with summat either.

Pressures at home for any one of a thousand reasons for example.

Don’t know but he used to be full of confidence and loved the job.
Says if he goes to a strange place he freaks out,and the more he worry about it the more agitated he gets about the job.
Felt sorry for him,hope I catch him again I will try and help him.

I would advise him to have a chat with someone about this as it could be an underlying issue that has manifested itself as a fear of strange locations.

Im no doctor but sudden irrational fears can mask something else. That said if I had to do London everyday it would put the willies up me (and not in the good way).

I got like this a couple of years ago and ended up having a bit of a nervous breakdown.
The root cause was nothing to do with work but personal life problems. Got sorted out and I’m fine now.
Hard to advise the person but my gp was great.

Had a similar thing happen to me last year. . Few months off and its all sorted now…

The same happened in a documentary I once watched, guy lost it and Maverick and Goose had to step up and take his place.

the maoster:
The same happened in a documentary I once watched, guy lost it and Maverick and Goose had to step up and take his place.

Keep sending him up! Sorry out!

I feel the need.

I love this place :laughing:
Get him on here, it’s a good distraction :laughing:

Was a guy who could not go on motorways, he got sussed because it was taking way to long to make his deliveries. Am sure the guy was from Hull…

It happened to a lad I worked with about 20 years ago. An excellent and confident driver of many years experience who just lost his nerve really, if given a job he hadn’t been to before he couldn’t cope and eventually finished driving at around his mid forties. I was running with him on his last trip, a long one for us as it happened, he was in a very nervous state and as far as I know he hasn’t worked since?

Pete.

I blame it on your every move being recorded by the trackers nowadays it puts more pressure on drivers because for example if you take a wrong turn somewhere and end up being late for a delivery you can’t blame anyone else and with planners planning everything so tight it doesn’t leave any room for error.
Reason I say that is because a few months ago I went to deliver to a place I hadn’t been before and all was good I was only a few minutes away from the place and I was going to be there on time but didn’t i take the wrong turn off a roundabout and had to drive 7 odd miles out the road to get turned around and then sit in the traffic all the way back in it. By the time I got to the delivery I’d missed my slot by a half hour and was told to come back in two and a half hours. Rang the office and needless to say they weren’t one bit impressed but it was just one of them things, ■■■■ happens but had it not been planned so tight id have made the delivery slot the first time round.

I had the same a few months back, was convinced I couldn’t drive, got overly nervous of anywhere new, panicked at reversing anywhere tight. Saw the quack who put me on some happy pills and now all good. I still can’t drive worth a ■■■■, but I don’t stress about it any more :slight_smile:

he needs to talk to someone…
and the boss needs to know…

hitch:

Yep,they have a duty of care and i im sure any good employer will understand.

Dipper_Dave:
I would advise him to have a chat with someone about this as it could be an underlying issue that has manifested itself as a fear of strange locations.

Im no doctor but sudden irrational fears can mask something else. That said if I had to do London everyday it would put the willies up me (and not in the good way).

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:

It’s quite refreshing to see you lads not ridiculing the op. I didn’t expect so many to be so forthcoming about their own similar experiences. Hope I never get like that.

It sounds like depression or anxiety, Boots sell Kalms, a natural herbal remedy with dried lettuce and Valerian, to sooth the nerves.

hitch:

pressure of work,home lifestyle environment,or family issues would def be the most likely underlying issues. depending on the type of boss,then the bosses 1st duty of care will be to the truck,and will wangle him into jacking it in before he wrecks something.(depending on the boss)…or, if you were the boss,would you be happy with someone that’s not switched on going out to play in your £100k worth of kit?..(assuming its decent tackle hes driving)