Lorry Watch article - what do you think?

Hey guys,

We’ve been doing a lot of research at Snooper lately about the Lorry Watch scheme and we’re keen to hear what everyone thinks of it? We’ve written this article - and we’re eager to see how you guys feel about the situation? snooper.co.uk/news/the-lorry … prejudice/

How effective do you think the scheme has been? Do you feel that lorry drivers are being targeted unnecessarily? Do you think the scheme should continue?

Its made me consider buying a Garmin or Tomtom that can route round weight restrictions.

Apart from that i just hope the ‘volunteers’ are trained in vehicle size and weights so they can accurately judge vehicles exceeding weight limits.

As trucking is one of the most widely targeted professions for scrutiny its no big deal really, just a good chance for the Nimby’s to get out and about once in a while.

Apart from the odd thick driver, the main problem is signage. As has been discussed here many times, there is no point in sticking up a weight limit sign at the point of no return. I am someone who tries my best to plan routes, but like everyone I have been caught out by weight limits quite a few times an on occasions where there is no obvious escape, risked it and carried on.

In all instances like Bradford-upon-Avon, there should be signage about the weight limit well in advance complete with a diversion. This signage should be in the form of symbols so that foreigners can clearly understand it, quite often all you get is a blue sign saying “Weight limit ahead use A666 etc.” which our foreign friends probably wouldn’t even notice.

I have a Snooper Truckmate and like most technology it messes up sometimes & not to be relied on 100%. They are not the answer to the problem.

i cant download updates on my Snooper s6r-neo thru the phone line connection ,im paying monthly for the updates, if i posted it into you Snooper, would you update it for me and post it back ?

I agree with rob22888 100% about poor signage and lack of on the ground route information.
Also sat nav devices can not be relied upon at all, I have a new up to date Truckmate as much as I like it this does not spot all restrictions and then takes its time sorting itself out to re route often telling me to turn around and go back to the original route, this is not the only device to act like this colleagues state other manufacturers are the same, its not common but it does happen.

As for the Police/Courts issuing fines on the say so of the untrained general public I find this ludicrous, I think the only other law to get close to this is a section 59 that a motorist can be prosecuted on the say so of the public for causing a nuisance again a one sided law without the chance of explanation at least not without considerable expense.

Drift:
telling me to turn around and go back to the original route

Yes. JoeSnooper, why does an expensive sat nav designed for HGV’s ask drivers to perform u-turns? 99/100 this is never safe or possible.

Hang on, has there already been a thread on this. The article states:

“Some UK lorry drivers have also expressed their opposition towards the scheme in the popular lorry drivers’ forum Truck Net UK. Some claimed to have felt deliberately targeted, not for weight restriction, but for the inconvenience and ‘unsightliness’ that LGVs and HGVs can cause when using residential roads. This questions some volunteers’ motives for signing up to the scheme.”

Are you just after an update or blatantly plugging Snoopers… :wink:

There is this one
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106355&p=1594167&hilit=lorry+watch#p1594167

corij:
i cant download updates on my Snooper s6r-neo thru the phone line connection ,im paying monthly for the updates, if i posted it into you Snooper, would you update it for me and post it back ?

Last update I had from snooper required me to put in my serial number, then it told me of an update on it’s site, ran the update and it trashed it.

So I now just don’t do any updates now I’ve had it back as Snooper were more interested in selling me new gear than fixing what they had helped break!

I wouldnt buy a snooper if my tomtom broke and they were selling nothing but snoopers…

Absolutly ■■■■ customer service, warranty department and software.

Snooper can not compare in any way shape or form to the tomtom 7150 pro. I am suprised that they stooped so low to post this ■■■■■■ spam post up on here.

I use the tomtom7150 not had any issues with bad routing but when I know of a faster/better route it does tell me to turn around in places like small areas I.e. Around a farmers yard etc. for a certain amount of time it is only as good as the info it gets

The Tomtom 7150 is highly regarded in trucking circles. I tried to get one but was let down by a supplier so went for the Garmin 560 dzl, I find its ideal but occasioanly comes up with some strange routes, very useful as an aid rather than the primary tool which is still my trusty mapbook.

Maybe if the OP would like to ask her boss if she could give away a snooper to TrucknetUK or sponsor a competition to win one it might be better than some blatant spam with little interest in what any one has to say.

JoeSnooper:
Hey guys,

We’ve been doing a lot of research at Snooper lately about the Lorry Watch scheme and we’re keen to hear what everyone thinks of it? We’ve written this article - and we’re eager to see how you guys feel about the situation? snooper.co.uk/news/the-lorry … prejudice/

How effective do you think the scheme has been? Do you feel that lorry drivers are being targeted unnecessarily? Do you think the scheme should continue?

Maybe Snooper could consider “snooping” on some other industry?

I have an S2000, (I recently upgraded the mapping so not sure if it still does this) it used to warn me about bridge heights as I passed the sign warning of a low bridge■■? Not what I thought I was buying. Also try’s to take me down roads with weight restrictions. Why Snooper why??

If i saw the sign that had been cable-tied onto a lamp-post(as in the first picture in the link) i would ignore it, i would expect it to say something like ‘Garage sale at the village hall this weekend’, and not to be a legal sign regarding weight limits.

kindle530:
If i saw the sign that had been cable-tied onto a lamp-post(as in the first picture in the link) i would ignore it, i would expect it to say something like ‘Garage sale at the village hall this weekend’, and not to be a legal sign regarding weight limits.

Exactly. It looks like nothing more than some johnny quango temporary placard that’s been cable tied to the first thing they’ve come across in the same vane as similar things promoting candidates at the next local council election. Certainly not a legal road traffic sign. What a load of crap.

The sign coming into BOA from Bath is currently smashed to pieces on the verge.

The volunteers seem to have all but given up now as since the signage was improved on the Holt road into BOA it appears the pickings have become too slim and the volunteers/Nimbys have got it through their thick heads that most of the nasty lorries coming through they thought they could get rid of were perfectly entitled to do so.

The whole thing was just driven by busybody retirees with time on their hands and pathetic empty lives.

Sorry guys, not trying to spam at all - just wanted to start a bit of a discussion and find out more about the scheme from your perspective. And I do have an interest in what you all have to say, or I wouldn’t have posted in the first place! We want to know as much as possible about your work and your opinions on things like this.

Also sorry to hear some of you have technical issues with your Snooper products. All I can do is pass on the details to the technical department so if you send me a PM with details of your problems that’d be good.

Thanks to everyone else for your feedback/views. We obviously would like to think technology - not just Snooper products - can help avoid many of the issues brought about by something like Lorry Watch but clearly there’s more to it than that. If anyone would be interested we might write up another blog post at a later date containing some of your thoughts on the issue as a kind of follow up piece. It can be anonymous if necessary, of course.

Thanks and happy holidays.

The snooper I have refuses to let me get through London at all on regular settings, which is odd. I have to change the ‘truck’ setting to ‘London & Bus’ and then just consult paper maps and guides. But it does encourage me to plan ahead :wink:

In light of everything, it is unlikely I’d get another snooper. There are now cheaper and easier options out there.

The biggest problem lorry drivers find with weight limits is the lack of a properly signposted alternative route.