Lorry Thefts and Highjacking's

Hi folks.

Am just studying for my theory test at the moment, and there is mention of truck thefts and highjacking’s, the DVSA estimates there are over 3000 a year in the UK, I have never heard or seen anything about this in the press or on the forum.

Just out of curiosity how prevalent are thefts and highjacking’s?
Has anyone on here have experience or been effected?

I know thefts of fuel take place and that thieves target farms (my Dad is a agricultural engineer) he’s been hit twice. But the whole highjacking of trucks in the UK is a real surprise to me.

It certainly happens. I got sent to collect a unit from a police compound a few years ago.

The driver had been flagged down by a motorist in distress. When he stopped they pulled him out the cab at knife point and put him in the back of their van. Drove him round for a couple of hours apparently then kicked him out in the middle of Manchester.

First the office knew of it was when he phoned in to explain what had happened. They got away with a trailer full of DVDs

We were reminded we were not to stop for anyone ever and given a laminated sign saying I am not allowed to stop but will follow you to the nearest police station or something like that.

Easy pickings if you think about it. One person in charge of 26 or so pallets of potentially very high value goods.

The office told me they often receive suspicious calls fishing for info on where trucks are going, which are loaded etc.

Just coming up to the time of year when a load of spirits wanders out of Currie’s yard at Heathhall, predictable or what.

If you are transporting high value good then you receive (or should do) hijack training,and as stated you don’t have to stop for an unmarked police car until your office has confirmation that it IS actually the police trying to stop you and not a gang of crooks with a blue flashing light bought from eBay attached to their car.
Generally you would call your office and they would ring the police with the reg to get confirmation.
A trailer full of ■■■■ or spirits even at knock off prices would be worth 150k to a organised gang,for a few hours “work”.

And as for hijackings being in the press,they very rarely are because the companies that it happens to don’t want the bad press.
A big logistics company like UPS ect don’t want it’s customers knowing it lost a million pounds worth of another customers stock.

ckm1981:
And as for hijackings being in the press,they very rarely are because the companies that it happens to don’t want the bad press.
A big logistics company like UPS ect don’t want it’s customers knowing it lost a million pounds worth of another customers stock.

Ah I see, that makes sense.

3000 a year is about 60 a week or somewhere around 9 a day including Sunday. Surely if it was this high we would hear more about it?

You can have mine anytime…as long as you give me a lift to the nearest train station :smiley: :smiley: