Lorry stuck in blackwall tunnel

Heard on the radio 2 traffic news the tunnel is closed again because a truck too tall for the tunnel tried to go through it :unamused: , this seems to happen nearly every week :exclamation: :neutral_face: surely there are enough warning signs about the height of the tunnels :exclamation: :exclamation:

I hate that place, I don’t like those swingy things.

I took a 15’ 6" trailer through the tunnel and boy did it look close to the top of the tunnel

Steve-o:
I took a 15’ 6" trailer through the tunnel and boy did it look close to the top of the tunnel

and when you got to your next stop, you got out the cab walked to the trailer, looked up, scatched your head and said

β€œcould of sworn i had a double decker trailer this morning…”

Easy solution, dig the bloody thing out to 17 ft while they have it shut every weekend. The thing’s out dated. You should be able to take a double through there in this day and age

alternately we should just get rid of DD’s and have 14ft height limit like the rest of europe :slight_smile: would mean more jobs

Yes, the only reason we have 5 metres clearances on our motorway network is that it was designed to allow the Yanks to cart their nuclear missiles around in the 1960s. I believe the northbound Blackwall Tunnel pre-dates this, :wink:

Harry Monk:
Yes, the only reason we have 5 metres clearances on our motorway network is that it was designed to allow the Yanks to cart their nuclear missiles around in the 1960s. I believe the northbound Blackwall Tunnel pre-dates this, :wink:

Indeed it does! The first tunnel was opened in 1897! The second [now southbound] bore is dated 1967.

Steve-o:

It would be close, its signed at 15’ 6" on the southbound, did you try the northbound at 13’ 4" ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Trev_H:

Steve-o:

It would be close, its signed at 15’ 6" on the southbound, did you try the northbound at 13’ 4" ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i past a sign on the m2 which said the tunnel was 13,0 north . And yes i could of swore it was 13.4 too cause i used to get a 4m trailer under there

Lycanthrope:
alternately we should just get rid of DD’s and have 14ft height limit like the rest of europe :slight_smile: would mean more jobs

4M = 13’.1"

Big β– β– β– β– :
i past a sign on the m2 which said the tunnel was 13,0 north . And yes i could of swore it was 13.4 too cause i used to get a 4m trailer under there

You can certainly get a 4m truck through the tunnel, but any higher and you will set the alarm bells ringing

Harry Monk:

I meant to reply to this ages ago but only just found the right link:

This was an 1845 act about rail construction.

Every Bridge to be erected for the Purpose of carrying
of Bridges the Railway over any Road, except as otherwise provided by the
ove , oac $ s. special Act, shall be built in conformity with the following Regulations
; (that is to say,)
The Width of the Arch shall be such as to leave thereunder a
clear Space of not less than Thirty-five Feet if the Arch be
over a Turnpike Road; and of Twenty-five Feet if over a public
Carriage Road, and of Twelve Feet if over a private Road :
The clear Height of the Arch from the Surface of the Road
shall be not less than Sixteen Feet for a Space of Twelve, Feet
if the Arch be over a Turnpike Road, and β€˜Fifteen Feet for a
Space of Ten Feet if over a public Carriage Road ; and in
each of such Cases the clear Height at the springing of the’
Arch shall not be less than Twelve Feet
The clear Height of the Arch for a Space of Nine Feet shall not