Lorry Steering MOT

Hi,

Just had my Volvo FH12 Flatbed MOT’d its 1998 with power steering, It has just failed because when the lorry was off you couldn’t turn the wheel (Dry Steer). When you start the engine the steering is fully operation and there are no power steering issues and can dry steer with no issues.

Is this correct?

Thanks

No. Its certainly a new one to me if they’ve introduced that stupid idea into the MOT. I don’t ever recall having an unpowered dry turning test. In fact other than going from lock to lock and rapid wobbling of the wheel to check for leaks, play in the steering arms, track rod ends etc, there’s no other test done.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … t-2015.pdf

Section 30 and Section 54. Section 54 (page 159) is the most applicable. It lays out how the test on the steering must be done. There is absolutely nothing about doing a test without the power steering running (engine off) other than when there is auxiliary stuff powered by a belt from the engine such as a refrigeration compressor and this is for the safety of the tester.

So take it back, shove that in front of them and tell them they’ve incorrectly failed the vehicle. Make sure you speak to the manager of the test centre, show him section 54 and tell him the tester didn’t do the test properly.

What is the actual wording on the failure sheet :question:

neversweat1:

the wording for the failure is - roughness or undue stiffness in the operation of the steering.

The vehicle was not running, soon as the engine started it ran like a swiss watch. I only found out that it failed its MOT 18 days after as been away. So I cant appeal, i’m going to have to do a re-test.

wellsy001:
I only found out that it failed its MOT 18 days after as been away. So I cant appeal, i’m going to have to do a re-test.

So you weren’t at the MOT?

Peering into my crystal ball to unleash psychic powers, could it be that what the man is getting at is that the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column is semi seized?

wellsy001:
The vehicle was not running, soon as the engine started it ran like a swiss watch. I only found out that it failed its MOT 18 days after as been away. So I cant appeal, i’m going to have to do a re-test.

I’m struggling to follow your story. … how do you know the tester failed it for a fault that is only apparent when the engine was not running?

wellsy001:

neversweat1:

the wording for the failure is - roughness or undue stiffness in the operation of the steering.

A failure for this reason requires the tester to assess whether to issue an immediate prohibition.

If the engine was not running, then I’m presuming that the vehicle was not moving, no wonder he had trouble turning the steering wheel.
The steering on ANY vehicle is heavy when the vehicle is stationary, power steering or not!

I’ve just tried mine with the engine off and the steering wheel moves a inch or so to the right and left without any effort. Moves more with more effort applied, it’s not completey locked though.

Bluey Circles:

wellsy001:

I’m struggling to follow your story. … how do you know the tester failed it for a fault that is only apparent when the engine was not running?

Because the driver was there and that is what he failed it for, after he climbed in to the truck and couldnt turn the steering wheel. Sounds like it was incorrectly failed no faults appear to have been found and has stumped most people

Engine OFF. Tester approaches front of vehicle, checks wiper blades and raises front flap, checks condition of wiper linkage. “Apply footbrake driver” - Tester listens for air leaks in footbrake valve area. “rock steering driver”. "lift steering wheel towards your face driver " Tester observes bottom of steering column and u/j listening for creaking noises and looking to see that it moves freely, for any rust stains which indicate it may not and whether it is badly worn, loose on shaft, whether anything fouls it, or whether the steering box top oil seal is leaking. Later he climbs in cab and rocks steering with engine off and then later with it running.

At least that is what they do where I go. It takes less time to do that than it takes to read this.

What will you do to it so it passes then ?

Can’t make head nor tail of this.

Was the axle jacked at the time?

Dry King -pins ? ungreased ?