Lorry servicing

How long would you expect a truck service to take?

Its a tri axle rigid!

They had mine all day yesterday, but still need to do the oil change and filters! So I’m now sat in my car for the next 2 hours at least, waiting!!!

Safety inspection 1.5 hour max ,service at least 5 hours .

No one knows.
They may be in the middle of a call of duty marathon so could be a few days. :grimacing:

How long’s a bit of string?
Did it need new pads/discs or some new steering suspension joints/parts sourcing and fitting, coolant or transmission fluid change etc.

Never set out to collect a vehicle until you have been told that it is ready to pick up. Unlike an MOT a routine safety inspection is supposed to assess not just whether the vehicle is roadworthy today, but whether it will remain so substantially until the next scheduled inspection. The actual condition, cleanliness and age of the vehicle will significantly affect how long it takes to do the inspection, as will the type of body fitted if the servicing contract includes more than its security. The manufacturer’s service schedule will list several levels of work required, the biggest service taking a considerable time to complete.

When dropping a vehicle off (assume its a dealer) I would expect a short conversation about when it would be ready:
"Heres the keys, The mileage is ■■?. See you at 7am tomorrow, OK?" Any change, Id expect a phone call to be made by the dealer. “Sorry, we found a broken ■■? It wont be ready til lunchtime*”
If the workshop called an office number and the message wasn`t passed on to the collecting driver? Would not be any sort of shock to me.

*Lunchtime is from 11hr30 to 14hr30 and “about lunchtime” (11 to 3) is a great time to quote if you don`t have a clue!

cav551:
Never set out to collect a vehicle until you have been told that it is ready to pick up. Unlike an MOT a routine safety inspection is supposed to assess not just whether the vehicle is roadworthy today, but whether it will remain so substantially until the next scheduled inspection. The actual condition, cleanliness and age of the vehicle will significantly affect how long it takes to do the inspection, as will the type of body fitted if the servicing contract includes more than its security. The manufacturer’s service schedule will list several levels of work required, the biggest service taking a considerable time to complete.

It was at the in house workshop, got it back at 9.30 left yard at 10am.

Stephenjp:

In which case how long it’ll take also depends on what defects drivers bring in which need rectifying before they go out to do their work. Our night shifts start between around 3.30pm - 7.30pm so any truck that’s in the garage for service during that time is likely to have it extended when the night shift drivers do their checks, go pick up their trailers and find the defects the last person to use that unit or drop that trailer couldn’t be bothered to report and take it to the workshop to be sorted before doing their run. A simple curtain repair for example will tie up 15 minutes so there’s 15 minutes the service gets delayed by.

In the transport game when it comes to waiting two hours is just the blink of an eye. :sunglasses:

Conor:

Stephenjp:

In which case how long it’ll take also depends on what defects drivers bring in which need rectifying before they go out to do their work. Our night shifts start between around 3.30pm - 7.30pm so any truck that’s in the garage for service during that time is likely to have it extended when the night shift drivers do their checks, go pick up their trailers and find the defects the last person to use that unit or drop that trailer couldn’t be bothered to report and take it to the workshop to be sorted before doing their run. A simple curtain repair for example will tie up 15 minutes so there’s 15 minutes the service gets delayed by.

That reminds me of night shift in house and being questioned next evening why an inspection hadn’t been done the previous night. There had been so many defects to do they had taken up 3/4 of the shift to clear. Left was an inspection and a oil level check and grease service. The service was done leaving the inspection for the next night. No one seemed to grasp that the Inspection would probably raise defects which would need rectifying or putting the vehicle off the road until cleared whereas with the service done and no driver defects reported it could go out. Management’s answer? You were only going home to bed both should have been done and the defects cleared. A fortnight later, oh dear: Service done, inspection done, all but one defect rectified and the broken road spring lying outside the office along with the new spring, the gas axed U bolts and the wrong length new U bolts.

If it’s a Merc, and you’re using the Swansea dealership, you’re lucky if it even gets inspected.

Picked mine up on Monday morning, following morning the drive axle brake pads warning flashes up 3,000 miles till change, followed by the steer axle later in the day. Given that I’m tramping, hardly likely to last till the next inspection; luckily we have our own workshop so it was in on Thursday and we changed them ourselves.

Euro Commercials have got form for this, did the same to my Actros rigid a couple of years ago when I was at ForFarmers.