Lorry Pubs

any one remember i think it was the winning post on the a 45. oppoosite side to the red lion .or the montague a short walk from taylors old kent rd new cross and the old voleteer in doncaster

That was a proper pub the infamous “Earl de Gray” it was like a second home to us lot from MIFT. I could tell you some tales about that place that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. The landlord was a great guy called Cliff (same name as me so I never forget) and the barman was called Frank who did not take any stick from anyone. I also have good memories of the Red Lion just outside Northampton and the London and Paris at Folkstone. With the modern trends for truck stops I supose these watering holes are a thing of the past.
Cliff

Archie Paice:

Wheel Nut:

Johnny aka Little John:
I always loved the Punchbowl on the A66 at Stainmore. Many a good night was had in there. :smiley:

Plus one :stuck_out_tongue:

Hullo,
The Earl de Grey ■■
Cheers, Archie

Just up the road from the Montague was the Adam and Eve all the Comedians such as Jim Davidson, Mike Read and so on appeared there long before they became famous. The Red lion at Northampton the original landlord was a scouser and a right miserable so and so , when the guy who turned the place around got it buzzing it used to get so busy they used to park in the centre reservation never mind the grass verges! the same guy bought a pub just up the road in Weedon which he ran at the same time however it proved to much and he moved on. The Juniper Berry in Southampton used to have cartoons all around the walls and the name of one of the drag acts was " Dockyard Doris " . Banbury had a big lorry park and a good selection of pubs including Woolpack ,Inn Within ,The Cross, Three Pidgeons. Happy days.

Anyone remember the Wheeltappers in Rugby always a laugh on a Thursday night.
Or the Graving Dock in Silvertown where the landlord tried to get people to play pool for money and when he lost got violent?..

The Church Inn, Holloway Rd, London,the barmaid used to pick up a coin from the bartop by sitting on it…without her hands…if you get my drift!!!

Many a good night spent in there on my way down to the Docks.

David

[quote="another pub was the ‘Honky Tonk’ in Workington (real name The Ancient Mariner), there were some really rough old birds in there![/quote]
sadly burnt down and demolished a number of years ago ,although wagons still park opposite .its popular with our foreign friends weekending .probably helps having a 24hr Tesco over the road for facilities . I live just round the corner with the other poor folks :smiley:

In the 70’s I would bust a gut to park at our Eaton Socon depot so I could go to ‘The Bell’ on the old North Road, it was run by an old dear (Mrs Day?) she made the finest mixed grill I have ever had. In later years I liked to go in The County at Immingham, a fascinating study in all forms of life and chaos ensued while you had a few beers, I always felt safe there though. I also liked The Railway Tavern at Langley Mill which was just my kind of pub.

Seems like some of you chaps preferred the rowdy establishments. Me in my ■■■■■■ was into upmarket ale-houses and could park most places.
E.G. The Custom House Cardiff where black Pat ( a she by the way ) would perform in the nearest phone box.
The Kings Wark AKA the Jungle in Leith where a group of us watched a young Amazon lift a guy at the bar’s wallet. We didn’t say a word - she was terrifying.
The big boozer just outside Newport docks had a scatter-gun behind the bar - can’t remember the name.
AH! The Old Red Lion Aldgate - couldn’t Jacko (?) handle himself. Woke up in a council house with cardboard in the windows in Dagenham after a session in there. There was also the Arabian Nights in Hackney. They had plasma on draught there.
I was stuck in the Durose Commercial Hotel while Lex Tillotson sorted my Terrier out and some driver with a chip on his shoulder had pulled the handle on all the Scottish wagons and 2 forty footers were on their knees next morning. Learned new swear words that day.
The Long Bar under the Cinema in Manchester where 2 drivers and a certain trailer-mate were “entertained” by a lady for £4. Happy Days. jmcjnr

What about these 3 blasts from the past,all in bethnall green.the greengage,the well and bucket,and the van tromp.And don’t forget a lady[I use the term loosely]by the name slack alice.Happy days.
regards dave.

Wheel Nut:

stevecook:
Don’t forget the County on Immingham docks, can anyone remember the mother and seven daughters plying their trade in there?
Apparantly the husband and father left them - can’t think why!!

I was much braver than that. I once had a kebab in Immingham :stuck_out_tongue:

better then that i lived in immingham for 3 months we had sum trucks running on docks so i stayed wtf was i thinking the county was my local :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :

The Devonshire pub in Devonshire Street Ardwick AKA As Tommys Music Hall, Was a great place on a Wed Night, Good singers & the ale was good too, Used by a lot of drivers , Who stayed in the digs on Hyde Road, The good old days Eh, Regards Larry.

The Woolpack just South of Normans X At Sawtrey Fen, Another fave for the Geordies heading for the Smoke on a Sunday, In fact some of them used to cab it & wake up on The Monday morning still on the car park, Oh Dear, But they just fired up and went into London, Tip, & Phone around for a back load, The old doggy days Eh, I wonder if there is still some of them about that can remember this, Regards Larry.

jmc jnr:
Seems like some of you chaps preferred the rowdy establishments. Me in my ■■■■■■ was into upmarket ale-houses and could park most places.
E.G. The Custom House Cardiff where black Pat ( a she by the way ) would perform in the nearest phone box.
The Kings Wark AKA the Jungle in Leith where a group of us watched a young Amazon lift a guy at the bar’s wallet. We didn’t say a word - she was terrifying.
The big boozer just outside Newport docks had a scatter-gun behind the bar - can’t remember the name.
AH! The Old Red Lion Aldgate - couldn’t Jacko (?) handle himself. Woke up in a council house with cardboard in the windows in Dagenham after a session in there. There was also the Arabian Nights in Hackney. They had plasma on draught there.
I was stuck in the Durose Commercial Hotel while Lex Tillotson sorted my Terrier out and some driver with a chip on his shoulder had pulled the handle on all the Scottish wagons and 2 forty footers were on their knees next morning. Learned new swear words that day.
The Long Bar under the Cinema in Manchester where 2 drivers and a certain trailer-mate were “entertained” by a lady for £4. Happy Days. jmcjnr

Bit scary this, I knew most of these places :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: The young uns don’t know what they’re missing. Regards Kev.

The Woodman, also known as “Fraggle Rock” at Pontefract?

The Shepherds Bush Tavern ? on the corner of Shepherds Bush Green and Goldhawk Road. Park on the lorry park opposite the B.B.C. Television Centre on Wood Land, where the railway sidings used to be which had a railway carriage as a café. Walk past the Portacabin toilets and cut through the indoor tennis/squash courts which brought you out next to Shepherds Bush tube station. Turn right, get an elephants leg kebab with Garnish (it tasted just like salad) from the Greek takeaway and the pub was on the far side of The Bush next to the Empire Theatre.

norfolk:
Just up the road from the Montague was the Adam and Eve all the Comedians such as Jim Davidson, Mike Read and so on appeared there long before they became famous. The Red lion at Northampton the original landlord was a scouser and a right miserable so and so , when the guy who turned the place around got it buzzing it used to get so busy they used to park in the centre reservation never mind the grass verges! the same guy bought a pub just up the road in Weedon which he ran at the same time however it proved to much and he moved on. The Juniper Berry in Southampton used to have cartoons all around the walls and the name of one of the drag acts was " Dockyard Doris " . Banbury had a big lorry park and a good selection of pubs including Woolpack ,Inn Within ,The Cross, Three Pidgeons. Happy days.

Norfolk, do you remember the blind kid who used to play the electric organ in The Montague Arms in New Cross about 1973/74, the same time as Jimmy Jones used to be the regular comedian there.

mushroomman:

norfolk:

Norfolk, do you remember the blind kid who used to play the electric organ in The Montague Arms in New Cross about 1973/74, the same time as Jimmy Jones used to be the regular comedian there.

That guy was called Lenny Peters who later on became Peters and Lee. Jimmy Jones was a proper Comic (kinel)

I’ve been in a lot of these pubs mentioned (well most of them really which maybe says a lot about me :blush: :laughing:)
A lot of todays drivers sat in their cabs in lay bys :unamused: have missed a lot in the job, others associate and can’t differentiate between going for a pint on a night out and getting rat arsed, so if you do ask them if they fancy a pint they look at you as if you have just ■■■■■■ on their shoes.
The Red Lion at Aldgate was the first real dodgy pub I ever went in as a young lad travelling with a mate about 1976, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing on the “live entertainment” :open_mouth: until then I thought that Guinness bottles were just used for putting Guinness in :wink: :laughing: , I reckon the PC lot have knackered those sort of pubs now, good days!

robroy:
I’ve been in a lot of these pubs mentioned (well most of them really which maybe says a lot about me :blush: :laughing:)
A lot of todays drivers sat in their cabs in lay bys :unamused: have missed a lot in the job, others associate and can’t differentiate between going for a pint on a night out and getting rat arsed, so if you do ask them if they fancy a pint they look at you as if you have just ■■■■■■ on their shoes.
The Red Lion at Aldgate was the first real dodgy pub I ever went in as a young lad travelling with a mate about 1976, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing on the “live entertainment” :open_mouth: until then I thought that Guinness bottles were just used for putting Guinness in :wink: :laughing: , I reckon the PC lot have knackered those sort of pubs now, good days!

You never spoke a truer word rob,happy days gone for ever.
regards dave.

dafdave:
What about these 3 blasts from the past,all in bethnall green.the greengage,the well and bucket,and the van tromp.And don’t forget a lady[I use the term loosely]by the name slack alice.Happy days.
regards dave.

Hoo Dave, you forgot to mention the White Horse, Crown, Ship and Blue Ball, Dolphin, Knave,
Jolly Butchers, Panther, Blade Bone, Marquis of Cornwallis etc.
Green Gate was my favourite though! (Better looking “entertainers”). :smiley: