lorry loaders

Hi thinking about getting into lorry loaders (plant work)
anyone know the best way to get into this sort of field what training if any is needed , is it worth while getting into it >? just would like some peoples views on the matter

ukthugz:
Hi thinking about getting into lorry loaders (plant work)
anyone know the best way to get into this sort of field what training if any is needed , is it worth while getting into it >? just would like some peoples views on the matter

By “lorry loaders” are you referring to HIAB work ?

nope i mean in regards to delivering plant equipment, some agents state that you must have a lorry loader/unloader certificate is that different to a hiab ticket >?

i believe lorry loaders or unloader does refer to hiab or maybe moffet, i could be wrong :confused:

ukthugz:
nope i mean in regards to delivering plant equipment, some agents state that you must have a lorry loader/unloader certificate is that different to a hiab ticket >?

My experience of plant work is limited but I’m sure some of the people who do that type of work regularly will be able to give a more definitive answer.

Like Medaluk i think they’re most likely to be referring to either a HIAB or MOFFET license, for plant work I would have thought a HIAB license would be the most likely.

I also could be wrong though :wink:

I thought it was hiab too but the agent i spoke with told me lorry loader/unloader certificate is something else, basically a course teaching how to securely load/unload plant equipment on.

Although every one in the world seem to refer to a crane as a Hiab, there is a generic term which is lorry loader. My CPCS card is for Lorry Loader - Hook (ie standard Hiab, no attachments)

There is another category which is loader securer which is to demonstrate that you have a basic understanding of how plant works and once you’ve loaded it you can secure it for transport.

There is no way a plant driver could be an operator for all the types of plant you could be expected to move. For example.

360 Tracked excavator
360 Wheeled excavator
180 Wheeled excavator
forward tip dumper
rear tip dumper
twin drum roller
forklift rough terrain masted
forklift rough terrain telescopic

etcetc.
You get the idea.

I’m looking into getting the loader securer but it’s only because one of our customers has made some noises about it. Otherwise I’ve been doing the job for years and never been asked for anything.

Most plant firms will be reluctant to give you a start unless you know a little about plant, it’s potentially very dangerous if you make mistakes in this job.

You might find some advice here.

For an insight in what the job is like have a read of some of these.

Cheers

Dont forget to put the l plates on any roller you are unloading onto a public road, unless you have cat g on your licence :wink:

Tracked vehicles :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

8wheels:
Tracked vehicles :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Then you will need cat h for that :smiley:
g is for rollers :unamused: :unamused:

i did mean in addition to, just couldn’t be bothered to look that one up. :smiley:

I hold an IPAF cert for cherrypickers and platforms and gained my load/unload at the same time. We chained different plant down (tele,mini digger,13t 360, cherrypicker,platform) and made sure it was secure. Could be really helpful if you have no experience but never take chains/straps for granted! Never been asked to show my card tho!