Lorry drivers blamed

for bridge collapse

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-he … r-36395403

there are trees growing out of the side of it, this bridge has collapsed through neglect, council / roads department are to blame.

and looking at the googlestreetview
google.co.uk/maps/@52.31813 … 312!8i6656
No weight restriction, and no signs saying “Unsuitable for HGVs” at either junction to the road leading to the bridge.

Weak bridges always boil my ■■■■. If it’s 7.5ton for structural reasons, why let fully laden buses use them? And coincidently, there was a bus in top when it collapsed

OVLOV JAY:
Weak bridges always boil my ■■■■. If it’s 7.5ton for structural reasons, why let fully laden buses use them? And coincidently, there was a bus in top when it collapsed

Any excuse to get angry about something for some drivers, isn’t it?

No there wasn’t a bus ‘on top of it when it collapsed’, and there is no suggestion to say that the bus that narrowly avoided the collapse was heavier than 7.5t. I’d imagine that the 17 idiots with HGV licences that one of the locals claims to have seen may have a lot more to do with causing it to collapse than a school bus with a few kids on it.

It’s not any excuse at all. Just a general observation that local councils don’t mind a double decker full of passengers go over a bridge, but not a rigid with a dozen pallets of crap :unamused:

Position Position Position.

If something chooses a moment to break - it’s usually the last thing involved that is “The straw that broke the camel’s back”.

If you drop a bottle, and catch it on the up-bounce without it breaking - it won’t suddely shatter whilst sitting on the shelf later on.
It will take something to nudge the weakened thing over the edge - even a sharp noise might do it but it WON’T do it by itself.

Abuse by laden buses that are not subject to weight limits. That’s who I’ll point the finger at here.
The bus driver even admits to “starting to drive across, saw the collapse starting, and backed off”.
How heavy are 11 kids anyway? - Especially bearing in mind today’s sugar-laden fatties. :stuck_out_tongue:

My logic the bridge didn’t fall down when the lorries went over it but fell down when the bus went over. So it’s the bus drivers fault :laughing:

If a bridge is even remotely in risk of collapsing it should be inspected more than once a year. Bet the inspection is only 5 a minute visual thing too.

It’s obvious that the bridge was never designed for 20th or 21st century heavy vehicle road traffic and should have been subject to clear weight limits ideally enforced with width restriction posts.Leaving large vehicles to make a diversion of a few miles if that. :unamused:

As the person throwing the accusations is the Councillor responsible for Highways, I’d suggest it might be somebody quick to fire the blame thrower before it gets fired at him.

Lorry drivers blamed yet the coach drivers a hero?!
An 18T wagon will weigh less that a 56 seater coach…go figure.

xichrisxi:

Bus drivers take nimby’s off on their jollies.

xichrisxi:

The bridge by Lewes railway station is like that ! lorries banned but buses allowed across :imp:

Olog Hai:

OVLOV JAY:
Weak bridges always boil my ■■■■■ If it’s 7.5ton for structural reasons, why let fully laden buses use them? And coincidently, there was a bus in top when it collapsed

Any excuse to get angry about something for some drivers, isn’t it?

No there wasn’t a bus ‘on top of it when it collapsed’, and there is no suggestion to say that the bus that narrowly avoided the collapse was heavier than 7.5t. I’d imagine that the 17 idiots with HGV licences that one of the locals claims to have seen may have a lot more to do with causing it to collapse than a school bus with a few kids on it.

Olog hai,are you a bus driver by any chance,if not are you going to say you have never gone over a weight restricted bridge when you should not have,not a pop at you just curious,have to admit though lorries carrying stones is a fair bit of weight,if they are to blame then they should have used a bit of common sense

xichrisxi:

it does say in another article that it was a mini bus.

It must be my fault then… been over it 3 times this year well 6 times as I came back the same way
in 18t delivering to houses.
that councillor is talking out of his arse…there are no weight restriction signs and no unsuitable for hgv signs
just trying to cover up the fact the bridge has been neglected and deflect the blame onto lorry drivers.
does make me worry though when I think of what could have happened.

I heard the local farmers banging on about ‘7.5 tn lorries going over here all the time’…

Never mind the average weight of a modern 250 ish hp tractor being 11tns or so. And how often would they be buzzing over with all manner of implements, trailers, EU farm payments…? :unamused:

mexy:
It must be my fault then… been over it 3 times this year well 6 times as I came back the same way
in 18t delivering to houses.
that councillor is talking out of his arse…there are no weight restriction signs and no unsuitable for hgv signs
just trying to cover up the fact the bridge has been neglected and deflect the blame onto lorry drivers.
does make me worry though when I think of what could have happened.

So it is no different to the 2013 streetview I linked to earlier.?

What always hacks me off with the media is how blame is always levelled at the ‘Lorry Driver’. Why not at the Haulier or the Council.

The trucks in question are apparently leading stone in connection with road works, so is it the council who has brought in the haulier? knowing there was a weak bridge did the council specify a route? If not the haulier will have went for the most economical to take part in the cut throat tendering process, every penny counts in this game.

And then when it all goes pear shaped they point the finger at the person probably being paid the least, who has the least say and who is just following instructions - seems a bit unfair to me.

Radar19:

xichrisxi:

Bus drivers take nimby’s off on their jollies.

…Down the bingo hall, off to day care centre, or to stand in the pension queue outside the post office 55 minutes before they open as they do. :unamused:

xichrisxi:
An 18T wagon will weigh less that a 56 seater coach.

The vast majority of large coaches and service buses, both single and double deck, are plated at 18 tonne.

The bus in this case was an Iveco Daily 12 seater which would plate at 12 tonne.

muckles:
As the person throwing the accusations is the Councillor responsible for Highways, I’d suggest it might be somebody quick to fire the blame thrower before it gets fired at him.

My thoughts exactly. Poor maintenance by the council, which would show up in their detailed documents if ever a proper investigation takes place.