Lorry Driver Killed By Chain

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/108175 … ld/?ref=mr
How can a chain “swing out”? Incorrect reports around this way at the time said it was a skip lorry, clearly not the case.

Well Fred Sherwood do walking floors so it’s a puzzle.

If a chain securing a load is under tension and breaks it will / can ricochet with considerable force. Same as a winch cable.

I thought the same thing. He must if been ■■■■■■■ flying for a chain to get lift and sail through the air. I just can’t see it myself.

I see the flatbed boys and low loaders leave their chains in a bunch on the trailer, always looks as if the weight is good enough to hold them down but clearly not this time.

The A415 Abingdon Road was really rough last year (it’s been repaired this year) so maybe speed+potholes? The way the accident happened it’s a miracle the dead drivers’ lorry didn’t go out of control and hit someone else.

The how and why doesn’t matter it was obviously an insecure bunch of chains left on the back of a wagon which managed to hit an oncoming vehicle.Load security equipment shouldn’t just be left on the back with nothing securing it.

Usually in the case of unused chains,tensioners,ropes etc etc they should preferably be put in lockers fitted to the chassis or if not thrown on the passenger side floor of the cab being that the risk of them being loose on the load deck outweighs that of them flying around the cab if the truck is rolled.

8wheels:
Well Fred Sherwood do walking floors so it’s a puzzle.

If a chain securing a load is under tension and breaks it will / can ricochet with considerable force. Same as a winch cable.

The article says that it was an unsecured unused chain left on the load deck after the load had been delivered.

The Oxford mail says that the dead driver was on for Select Plant hire and the offending vehicle was from Sherwoods, although it would probably be the other way round.

I had a tail end of chain flop down and run under the trailer wheels once, it snapped and fired a short section of chain out like a projectile.

TNUK CSI strikes again.

Carryfast:
The how and why doesn’t matter it was obviously an insecure bunch of chains left on the back of a wagon which managed to hit an oncoming vehicle.Load security equipment shouldn’t just be left on the back with nothing securing it.

Usually in the case of unused chains,tensioners,ropes etc etc they should preferably be put in lockers fitted to the chassis or if not thrown on the passenger side floor of the cab being that the risk of them being loose on the load deck outweighs that of them flying around the cab if the truck is rolled.

How the ■■■■ do you work out that it’s safer for me to get flailed to death than somebody else?? If a truck rolls and the chain is in the cab - I die. If it’s on the bed - possibly nobody dies, but I certainly won’t! You always had these suicidal tendencies? :imp:

The Sarge:

Carryfast:

How the [zb] do you work out that it’s safer for me to get flailed to death than somebody else?? If a truck rolls and the chain is in the cab - I die. If it’s on the bed - possibly nobody dies, but I certainly won’t! You always had these suicidal tendencies? :imp:

Just based on the law of averages if a truck rolls then the chains etc on the passenger side cab floor would have been least of my worries.Whereas as in this case anything left on the back is a lot more likely to cause a hazard.But usually in the case purpose built plant wagons there ‘should be’ plenty of,or at least one,chain locker/s provided anyway.

I tend to clear everything away except for a small set of lifting chains that I leave by the headboard as they get buried in the locker. Chains do not move about and will stay where they are put, it looks messy thats all.

I suppose the answer is to use another to secure them to the deck. Never going to happen though.

Carryfast:

never a good place for chains even though I’ve done it. I eventually made up a box and strapped it down with a lid on the bed of the trailer, It came to me inside the cab was home not equipment storage…

What I can’t see is it says the chain cut through the cab like a cheese wire, now if it was taught and broke then yes maybe it would a couple off months ago we were moving something in the yard when a chain snapped half a second later I’m on my arse with 2 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. But if it was a loose chain from the bed off the lorry then how could it create that much speed and tension to rip through a lorry cab?. Rip to the driver though no one goes to work to expect that either way.

Karl86:
What I can’t see is it says the chain cut through the cab like a cheese wire, now if it was taught and broke then yes maybe it would a couple off months ago we were moving something in the yard when a chain snapped half a second later I’m on my arse with 2 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. But if it was a loose chain from the bed off the lorry then how could it create that much speed and tension to rip through a lorry cab?. Rip to the driver though no one goes to work to expect that either way.

The chain would have hit what seems to have been the cab windscreen and corner pillar/A Post at the combined speed of the two trucks travelling in opposite directions.Possibly around 80-90 mph. :bulb:

I don’t think there is enough information to speculate. I also wonder if the newspaper have got there wires crossed, it does happen. I also much doubt whether a loose chain lying on the bed of a truck would do that sort of damage without being under tension.

Just to clear up a few points
Mick the driver who was killed was a childhood friend of mine we grew up together in the same village.Was driving the Fred Sherwood truck
The offending chain was on the Select Plant truck
Mick was a good friend and great family man and is still sorely missed in the Sherwood group

FarnboroughBoy11:
I see the flatbed boys and low loaders leave their chains in a bunch on the trailer, always looks as if the weight is good enough to hold them down but clearly not this time.

No Problem about that.
But a Chain,Cable or Strap escaping when under full pressure will cut you in half.
A Chain is just that strong as the weakest Link. same for Steel Cable,Ropes and Straps.
Know Double deck Trailer where Topdeck is lifted and hold by Cable,and i trust them not anything. Not that the Rope will break,but,if it breaks theres nothing to help you.

the big un:
Just to clear up a few points
Mick the driver who was killed was driving the Fred Sherwood truck
The offending chain was on the Select Plant truck

Well that does make a bit more sense. Seeing as the paper got that bit muddled it does make you wonder about the actual circumstances of the accident. However it happened it’s a horrific tragedy but it would be good to have some understanding of how it happened.