Lorry driver in court.

Driver of a 32 ton Scania hit a cyclist who died , she was a Doctor, the Crown Prosecution are saying his vision was obstructed by a tray that had a cap , ornaments, trinkets and a sat nav .
He removed the tray to pass the MOT then put it back and was warned numerous times .
Now looking at prison time for causing death by dangerous driving .
If the tat is in the windscreen wiper line , remove it .
Is the pish in the table worth going down for ?
If anyone can put a link up as I can’t .Ref Robert Bradbury .

toby1234abc:
Driver of a 32 ton Scania hit a cyclist who died , she was a Doctor, the Crown Prosecution are saying his vision was obstructed by a tray that had a cap , ornaments, trinkets and a sat nav .
He removed the tray to pass the MOT then put it back and was warned numerous times .
Now looking at prison time for causing death by dangerous driving .
If the tat is in the windscreen wiper line , remove it .
Is the pish in the table worth going down for ?
If anyone can put a link up as I can’t .Ref Robert Bradbury .

Hi Tobes,

Here’s your link…

Some of you might think I’m being harsh here, but I hope he gets sent down for a long time.
Yet another example of a driver choosing which rules he wants to follow and which he doesn’t, and it leading to horrific consequences.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
Some of you might think I’m being harsh here, but I hope he gets sent down for a long time.
Yet another example of a driver choosing which rules he wants to follow and which he doesn’t, and it leading to horrific consequences.

No, I agree with you. A driver at a firm I worked at many years ago run over and killed a pedestrian at a Pelican crossing, and we all knew it was because of the ludicrously oversized tray he had on the dashboard blocking his forward vision. Luckily for him, the Police didn’t pick up on it.

Quite restrained for a Scania driver!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Harry Monk:
Luckily for him, the Police didn’t pick up on it.

I was unfortunate to run someone over, not fatal but serious enough, and the police checked me over with a fine tooth comb as they should, cab check, phone check, eye sight, booze, drugs, shift start time and breaks, cctv from neighbouring buildings, defect log etc, I had a witness who backed me up 100% and I was fine (legally - emotionally not quite!), but if I had been at fault or had anything to hide they would have found it. The lesson I got from that, apart from not running suicidal people over, is stay as clean and legal as you can, you NEVER know when all eyes will be on you.

i would love to hear the drivers version though its a no brainer that he is going to get reamed.

its ticking all the boxes there…female,doctor,graduate,working in a hospital with kids,deffo all the media frenzy fodder all aimed at the driver no matter whos to blame.
i dont really understand all the conflicting points though
it says…he was sitting at a red light behind a van…she was up to 3.5 meters in front of him,he overtook her 30 seconds earlier,then she gets dragged under the truck as he s turning left?
i wonder what his version of events will be though id imagine it would be she was coming up his blindside unaware its not the ideal place to be no matter what lane your in.
if he hit her without the window tat,he would still be getting his good news.

Stuff in the swept area of the windscreen. One of those rules that if police or dvsa pulled drivers and fined them for it everyone would be saying it’s money making and have they got nothing better to do. Just goes to show that the rules are there for a reason. Just not enough police about to properly enforce it like most stuff on the road, but when they do they get the old chestnuts “picking on motorists” “paying for the Xmas party” etc etc and all that ■■■■■■■■.

dieseldog999:
i would love to hear the drivers version though its a no brainer that he is going to get reamed.

its ticking all the boxes there…female,doctor,graduate,working in a hospital with kids,deffo all the media frenzy fodder all aimed at the driver no matter whos to blame.
i dont really understand all the conflicting points though
it says…he was sitting at a red light behind a van…she was up to 3.5 meters in front of him,he overtook her 30 seconds earlier,then she gets dragged under the truck as he s turning left?
i wonder what his version of events will be though id imagine it would be she was coming up his blindside unaware its not the ideal place to be no matter what lane your in.
if he hit her without the window tat,he would still be getting his good news.

This ^^^^

CookieMonster:

BIG +1

I drove a Scania on agency work for a day, after about a hour I removed the dash table. The vision to the nearside front was terrible, you are asking for trouble with one of them in the cab.

The article does not give enough information about what actually happened to make any sort of informed conclusion :-

Was she 3.5m in front of him when they were stopped at the junction ? In which case she should have been easily visible, surely ? (Unless the tray thing reached halfway up the windscreen)

Did the truck completely pass the cyclist ? If not then did she undertake him, through his blindspot and shoot out onto to the roundabout just as it was turning left ?

Lots of others too which I would hope come out in the court.

Either way it’s all very sad as some level of stupidity / carelessness / lack of action in either one or both of them has ended with one dead and the other carrying that with him for the rest of his life, as well as the possible legal consequences.

I ride a bike and, part time, drive a truck. I try and treat cyclists the way I would want to be treated and 99% of the time that respect is returned although I rarely drive or cycle in cities (and that’s the way I want to keep it :smiley: )

I do believe there needs to be more opportunity, maybe even compulsion, for cyclists to learn how to sense what a truck is about do, how to position yourself for you and the truck drivers benefit, how to pick the right option when maybe you have got into a potential bad situation etc. (Whoever might be at a fault) OK there will always be the classic “lycra lout” that ignores the lot but I think I am right in saying that it is much more the “less aggressive” cyclists that are being killed. Women especially in London ?

Be interested to know what other drivers who also cycle think, and yes there are lots :laughing: (I believe)

I know it’s from the Torygraph :unamused: but this gives a bit more info :-

telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 … ard-court/

especially this :-

“The court was told Dr Bull was wearing bright pink clothing, and was recorded on the lorry’s front-facing camera in the moments before the collision.”

Depends what “moments” means of course and if the camera was the same view the driver should have had.

manski:

“The court was told Dr Bull was wearing bright pink clothing, and was recorded on the lorry’s front-facing camera in the moments before the collision.”

Depends what “moments” means of course and if the camera was the same view the driver should have had.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
reading the telegraphs version then what was in the screen was nothing to do with anything and its just another example of an organ donor on a bike,cycling up the nearside of a truck,not seeing the big picture and not keeping out of the way.
id think the only question to lay blame was if his indicators were on or not.
it wont matter who really is to blame,the drivers going to get reamed as a matter of course as he wont have the money to afford a proper lawyer to prove anything on his behalf.

dieseldog999:

manski:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
reading the telegraphs version then what was in the screen was nothing to do with anything and its just another example of an organ donor on a bike,cycling up the nearside of a truck,not seeing the big picture and not keeping out of the way.
id think the only question to lay blame was if his indicators were on or not.
it wont matter who really is to blame,the drivers going to get reamed as a matter of course as he wont have the money to afford a proper lawyer to prove anything on his behalf.

Think you have jumped a bit too quickly to a conclusion there, the police normally put up the video evidence after the trial, usually after a guilty verdict…

Agree with you about the indicators.

You might be right about the lawyer, does not give his name but I guess it will appear later and he can be vetted on here :slight_smile:

well he wont be affording mr loophole,or better call saul goodman,so itl just be your average duty type bod who will get paid no matter of the outcome.
no matter whos driving,then if one of these 2 wheeled organ donors decides to commit suicide beneath your back wheels,then you are going to be deemed guilty till proven innocent as thats the way the media will portray you and the judge will want to be seen to be doing his job no matter what he personally thinks.

So.there saying nothing in the widow etc obscuring the drivers view.
1st what about lane departure sensor thing that’s on the middle.of windscreen on a man?
And also new merc with no wing mirror.
I haven’t personally driven one. But have seen one and it has a huge I pad screen thing mounted on the inside window frame post thing. And I imagine it causes a huge blind spot on the passenger side front which to me.is.quite a danger

dieseldog999:
well he wont be affording mr loophole,or better call saul goodman,so itl just be your average duty type bod who will get paid no matter of the outcome.
no matter whos driving,then if one of these 2 wheeled organ donors decides to commit suicide beneath your back wheels,then you are going to be deemed guilty till proven innocent as thats the way the media will portray you and the judge will want to be seen to be doing his job no matter what he personally thinks.

You are jumping to conclusions again.

I agree with you about the media but there has been a couple of “drivers” recently who have not really helped that situation.

We don’t know which wheels it was at the moment.

Thanks Diesel Dave for putting up the link , my phone works on steam . I still use an abacus to do my VAT books.

Maybe worth pointing out, just because someone is clever enough to be a doctor does always not mean they have any common sense!