Lorry driver arrested - Drug driving

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41317350

The driver of a lorry involved in a fatal collision with a pedestrian has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs.

Police were called to reports of collision at City Road, east London, at 12.20 BST on Monday.

A woman pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene. Her next of kin have been informed.

The 44-year-old driver stopped at the scene, according to police.

Police subsequently arrested the man driver on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drugs and drug driving.

Awful situation but will be interesting to see if he was on illegal drugs or medication like strong painkillers as I think there are probably lots on the road who shouldn’t be, often unwittingly because they aren’t aware of the recent law change

switchlogic:
Awful situation but will be interesting to see if he was on illegal drugs or medication like strong painkillers as I think there are probably lots on the road who shouldn’t be, often unwittingly because they aren’t aware of the recent law change

I occasionally take tramadol for a facet joint problem and have done so for years. If its prescribed medication and youre fine with taking it (as i am) with no side effects showing its not an issue…

switchlogic:

Good point.
What’s the Doctor’s part in this? If prescription drugs? Balancing patient confidentiality and encouraging drivers to seek timely help, when a driver could be signed off on a pittance? Ref gig economy and agencies.
Glasgow bin man??

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Would a single co-codemol or a sachet of lemsip be illegal?

ezydriver:

Co codamol contains codeine but the usual 8/500 tablet contains only a very small 8mg, the other 500mg is just paracetamol, the same as in a lemsip and wont do any harm whatsoever…

ezydriver:

Further to what Andrew said,

The codeine in the Co-Codamol is an opiate and that is the part that would show up in a drugs test - Same for Tramadol, Oxycodone, Morphine etc

Paracetemol and the usual contents of Beechams/Lemsip shouldn’t show up on a drugs test - Same for Aspirin

Assuming the drugs tests are looking for Opiates/Opioids; Anti Inflammatories such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen or Diclofenac shouldn’t show up in a drugs test but then Cannabis isn’t an opiate either… :question:

Hyh:

ezydriver:

The codeine in the Co-Codamol is an opiate and that is the part that would show up in a drugs test - Same for Tramadol, Oxycodone, Morphine etc

Paracetemol and the usual contents of Beechams/Lemsip shouldn’t show up on a drugs test - Same for Aspirin

Assuming the drugs tests are looking for Opiates/Opioids; Anti Inflammatories such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen or Diclofenac shouldn’t show up in a drugs test but then Cannabis isn’t an opiate either… :question:

So I’m assuming a post-co-codemol urine test would reveal opiates, and that the sample would be sent for analysis. After the results, would I have broken the law? Would I lose my job? Or would the examiners determine it was a simple co-codemol tablet?

Hyh:

ezydriver:

Correct, the codeine part of co codamol is an opiate but again if its prescribed medication wouldnt be an issue. Any NSAID’s like Ibuprofen, Narproxen or diclofenac sodium are non addictive drugs and are used by millions daily for backache, muscle ache and headaches.
I always keep my repeat prescription from the doctors with me for any medication i occasionally take, would save any grief if stopped and drug tested…

AndrewG:

Hyh:

ezydriver:

Correct, the codeine part of co codamol is an opiate but again if its prescribed medication wouldnt be an issue. Any NSAID’s like Ibuprofen, Narproxen or diclofenac sodium are non addictive drugs and are used by millions daily for backache, muscle ache and headaches.
I always keep my repeat prescription from the doctors with me for any medication i occasionally take, would save any grief if stopped and drug tested…

What about over the counter co-codemol? I often use that to shift a headache of a night-shift. I’d hate to think 1 over the counter co-codemol tablet was illegal.

ezydriver:

AndrewG:

Hyh:

ezydriver:

What about over the counter co-codemol? I often use that to shift a headache of a night-shift. I’d hate to think 1 over the counter co-codemol tablet was illegal.

Taking a couple of 8/500 co codamol wont get you banned as the two combined would only be a paltry 16mg. Police are looking for those that abuse non prescibed drugs, someone with a codeine addiction would be taking a large number of codeine only 20mg/30mg tablets daily which would definetly show up on a drugs swab. A pretty safe bet youre ok with a box of painkillers for the odd headache…

Taking a couple of cocodamol won’t get you banned, but taking 6 in 12 hrs will possibly provide a positive drug swipe test as codeine metabolises in your liver as morphine and that is what gives a positive. Although over the counter meds containing codeine and paracetamol are 8mg to 500mg some prescribed meds, such as codydromol contain higher percentages of dihydrocodeine or codeine, and consequently will give a higher reading of the opiate morphine on the drug swipe test. The swipe test is not very sophisticated and only identifies a range of pre-determined drugs and as codeine is a direct derivative of morphine and that is a direct derivatve of opium it metabolises as morphine and shows up as morphine. At best, depending on who you work for, you will be suspended from work until a proper investigation and blood tests are analysed showing exactly what drug you have taken, at worst you will be convicted of driving under the influence of drugs and banned from driving for a minimum of 12mths, then a tea and biscuits session with your local TC at a driver conduct hearing which could mean your vocational licence is suspended for a longer period than your ordinary licence and may even include taking an extended test if you want to reinstate it after your period of disqualification.

Regards
Dave Penn;

AndrewG:

ezydriver:

Co codamol contains codeine but the usual 8/500 tablet contains only a very small 8mg, the other 500mg is just paracetamol, the same as in a lemsip and wont do any harm whatsoever…

rule 1 for anyone directly employed by a tosco type plobber job…always,carry a couple of cocodamol…as soon as you know your in for a test,get them necked.they will fail you the test.you will go on suspension on full pay.you could have had a twinge of toothache and can take them for anythig really…2 or 3 weeks later itl show it was only a cpl of of cocodamol and nothing else,and back to work with no penalty.
i was on agency for a cpl years and got suspended for 3 weeks with no pay till it came back ok,so they just bunged me anywhere except tosco for the 3 weeks,then as my face fitted,it was invited back,the assessment drive consisted of " drive us about for 20 mins and dont knock anyone down and itl be fine" and back onto your old shifts.its normal practice for the direct employed drivers to keep a cpl handy for as and when such operchancities arise.

dieseldog999:

AndrewG:

ezydriver:

rule 1 for anyone directly employed by a tosco type plobber job…always,carry a couple of cocodamol…as soon as you know your in for a test,get them necked.they will fail you the test.you will go on suspension on full pay.you could have had a twinge of toothache and can take them for anythig really…2 or 3 weeks later itl show it was only a cpl of of cocodamol and nothing else,and back to work with no penalty.
i was on agency for a cpl years and got suspended for 3 weeks with no pay till it came back ok,so they just bunged me anywhere except tosco for the 3 weeks,then as my face fitted,it was invited back,the assessment drive consisted of " drive us about for 20 mins and dont knock anyone down and itl be fine" and back onto your old shifts.its normal practice for the direct employed drivers to keep a cpl handy for as and when such operchancities arise.

However did you manage to cope with the 80kph plob DD…must have been mind numbing… :grimacing:

My brother failed an employers drug test a while back… got suspended with pay. I was as surprised as he was when he found out why…

His lunch that day included sandwiches with poppy seed bread, which apparently contain slight traces of opiates and this is what caused
him to test positive for drugs! :open_mouth:

I’d never heard of this before… It makes me wonder what else is in the foods we consume every day! :unamused:

Lennoxtown:
My brother failed an employers drug test a while back… got suspended with pay. I was as surprised as he was when he found out why…

His lunch that day included sandwiches with poppy seed bread, which apparently contain slight traces of opiates and this is what caused

I’d never heard of this before… It makes me wonder what else is in the foods we consume every day! :unamused:

I’ve seen that on tv

Lennoxtown:

It does sound like a good RDC waiting room story but it is true. I watched a programme about it earlier this year and some old bird at some bagels and poppy seed bread for a few days then got drug tested. The results came back positive.