Lorry crash part of M1 closed

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no … e-42178743

smart motorways section?

Another stationary vehicle rammed. Where are these drivers looking? :neutral_face:

"slowlane”:
Where are these drivers looking? :neutral_face:

Up the arse of the truck in front once they come to an abrupt stop

slowlane:

It’s…

A sort of/kinda/type of sleeping with your eyes open thing.

Because the route is familiar, the driver may still be tired despite a good nights sleep and the driver is bored witless there is no stimulus for the brain so, it just switches off.

I’m not excusing this but offering a possible explanation for such a familiar scenario.

It’s also starting to look to me that, smart m’ways are downright dangerous. Another stop gap sticking plaster solution from out of touch road planners, governments and councils.

yourhavingalarf:

slowlane:
It’s also starting to look to me that, smart m’ways are downright dangerous. Another stop gap sticking plaster solution from out of touch road planners, governments and councils.

How can a straight road be dangerous?!
Idiot drivers are the danger to each and every one of us,widening a 3 lane road to a 4 lane road is not in any way show or form dangerous.

IT happened as the M1 bends round to the left up the hill. Pitch black, stranded vehicle, no where to go and bang. If there was a hard shoulder than at least you have got a chance. These Smart Motorways at night are just ■■■■ right dangerous. Even the safety areas are unlit.

Rich The Stag:
IT happened as the M1 bends round to the left up the hill. Pitch black, stranded vehicle, no where to go and bang. If there was a hard shoulder than at least you have got a chance. These Smart Motorways at night are just ■■■■ right dangerous. Even the safety areas are unlit.

Sorry, he was not driving according to the road conditions … simple be alert and drive at speed where you are able to stop or take the correct evasive actions …

Never any excuse to rear end a vehicle … and truck drivers want to be classed as professional … please when idiots Like this do as such.

I had a front tyre blow on the four track section just before Woodall on the southbound early one morning. It was pitch black, unlit and raining heavily. I expected to be struck from behind all the time I limped the motor at snails pace towards a safety layby. There must have been a mile of collected traffic following behind me and this was at 0600.

One of Huntchinsons low loaders broke down at dark o’ clock this morning on the A1 near Grantham. Live lane, nobody ran into it. Don’t confuse smart motorways with dumb drivers!

carryfast-yeti:
smart motorways section?

What’s that got to do with it? Not trying to blame anything other than probable bad driving.

yourhavingalarf:

slowlane:

It’s…

Because the route is familiar, the driver may still be tired despite a good nights sleep and the driver is bored witless there is no stimulus for the brain so, it just switches off.

I’m not excusing this but offering a possible explanation for such a familiar scenario.

WHAT are you serious? I understand some drivers brains never switch on but I think you are talking about going onto automatic pilot something which can be very dangerous.
Any truck driver finds themselves doing that needs to do something about it and fast. It happen to a lot of drivers but there is a lot you can do to stop it happening.

Telephone

I thought lane 1 of a Smart Motorway reverted back to being a hard shoulder during quiet times only being open for use during busy times, or is that only some of them?

Dr Damon:

yourhavingalarf:

slowlane:

It’s…

WHAT are you serious? I understand some drivers brains never switch on but I think you are talking about going onto automatic pilot something which can be very dangerous.
Any truck driver finds themselves doing that needs to do something about it and fast. It happen to a lot of drivers but there is a lot you can do to stop it happening.

Just blaming the drivers rarely leads to an improvement, when they investigate Air Crashes and find it’s pilot error, they often look further into the it and find that making changes to aircraft design or procedures improves the situation making it less likely for other pilots ot make a simlar mistake.

yourhavingalaf is talking about human nature, not offering an excuse, good road planning and good vehicle design takes human nature into account. Although most accidents are due to human error, sometimes a change in a road layout can result in a major reduction in incidents on that section, because it changes how people react round it.

Another common factor with these seems to be time of day, often seems to be early morning, as species we have evolved as a day time creature, but the modern economy expects many people to work nights, I know some get used to it, but a lot of reseach says it isn’t good for us and as one sleep researcher said about the BBC night shift “scandal” a few weeks ago, if you work a long night shift, you should get some sleep during the shift, how many drivers can do this?

What little we have left of our reputation as “ Professional Drivers” is going down the bog quicker than a turd with the consistency of a brick with incidents such as this.

muckles:
I thought lane 1 of a Smart Motorway reverted back to being a hard shoulder during quiet times only being open for use during busy times, or is that only some of them?

Some do. But the 4-lane section North of J28 does not (likewise some stretches around Toddington/Luton.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

the maoster:
One of Huntchinsons low loaders broke down at dark o’ clock this morning on the A1 near Grantham. Live lane, nobody ran into it. Don’t confuse smart motorways with dumb drivers!

i think there’s a bit of difference between the size of a Hutchison truck/ load ( I’ve 2 mates who drive for them ) and a broken down car in a live lane , even I couldn’t miss a Hutchison truck with my eye sight

muckles:

Dr Damon:

yourhavingalarf:

slowlane:

It’s…

[/quote

Just blaming the drivers rarely leads to an improvement, when they investigate Air Crashes and find it’s pilot error, they often look further into the it and find that making changes to aircraft design or procedures improves the situation making it less likely for other pilots ot make a simlar mistake.

yourhavingalaf is talking about human nature, not offering an excuse, good road planning and good vehicle design takes human nature into account. Although most accidents are due to human error, sometimes a change in a road layout can result in a major reduction in incidents on that section, because it changes how people react round it.

Another common factor with these seems to be time of day, often seems to be early morning, as species we have evolved as a day time creature, but the modern economy expects many people to work nights, I know some get used to it, but a lot of reseach says it isn’t good for us and as one sleep researcher said about the BBC night shift “scandal” a few weeks ago, if you work a long night shift, you should get some sleep during the shift, how many drivers can do this?

Hang on muckles, I never said he was blaming the drivers. I was referring to the part where he was talking about drivers brains switching off and as I said going into ‘auto pilot’ while driving a truck can be very dangerous.

I agree other factors than the driver need to be looked into but when you look at the way some drive it’s inevitable accidents are going to happen. I do not like the way some on here seem to blame anything else but the driver when in fact as you say it is generally is driver error.

Dr Damon:

yourhavingalarf:

slowlane:

It’s…

Yes…

I am serious. Autopilot driving is exactly what I’m talking about. I fail to see your surprise at any part of my post.

Any lorry driver that auto-pilots won’t know they’re doing it. That’s why they drive into stationary traffic on a clear bright blue day.

Jeez!