Lorry accident

Just after some advice from drivers who have been involved in accidents when driving a company’s lorry as I was invloved in an accident on Friday in the company I work for lorry do I have to inform my own car insurance even though the accident has nothing to do with my own policy

NO

The official question will be along the lines of ‘have you been involved in any accidents or made any claims in the last ■■ Years?’
You can be honest but it’s not going to be worth the hassle and as with most insurance, it’s just a reason to bump your premium up.
I’m assuming you weren’t seriously injured or can no longer operate your car in the normal manner.

We had this issue years ago when I was a bus driver, it was never resolved if I am honest but the general consensus was if it was a blameworthy accident and your insurance asked the question then you would need to declare it, however if they ask have you claimed on your own insurance then answer that question truthfully as the insurance of your wagon is not in your name.

Be careful though to the wording as some insurers ask have you ever made a claim on your own or other persons insurance.
All that said if your not making the claim, in affect your not claiming so the accident need not be declared.

trucker10:
Just after some advice from drivers who have been involved in accidents when driving a company’s lorry as I was invloved in an accident on Friday in the company I work for lorry do I have to inform my own car insurance even though the accident has nothing to do with my own policy

Check your car insurance paperwork, most of them nowadays will make you report accidents/incidents even in a work vehicle not owned, nor insured by you.

As a general rule, an accident at work, will see your personal car insurance go up. All of the insurance companies will also have a no fault clause so even if the accident was not your fault, your insurance premium will still go up and you will lose some or all of your no claims bonus.

If there is nothing in the paperwork, no need to report, if there is a requirement to report any incidents/accidents, not doing so may see you refused for insurance when it comes to renewing this one.

The days of being blase about what happens at work are long gone, the same in reverse, what happens in your personal life will affect you at work.

It wasn’t in my car i was driving one of the company lorrys i hit a car up the back end . We were sat at a set of traffic lights the lights went green the car moved off I then moved of then the car just decided to just stop for no reason and I couldn’t stop in time and ended up driving into the back of it thankfully no one hurt at the time

The way I see it you are on the insurance database as a private customer and all details can be cross checked from previous claims/incidents, on a company insurance only the company comes up as the claimant not the individual.
So how could an insurer check you have had an incident in a company vehicle especially if its non blameworthy?

Drift:
The way I see it you are on the insurance database as a private customer and all details can be cross checked from previous claims/incidents, on a company insurance only the company comes up as the claimant not the individual.
So how could an insurer check you have had an incident in a company vehicle especially if its non blameworthy?

Driver at time of accident is reported, they all use the same database, would take all of a tenth of a second to crossreference that data.

Zb insurance companies, they are all after your hard earned, keep it in your pocket, not theirs, the robbing bar stewards…:imp::twisted:

Nether have done nether will do
What happens at work stays at work

w1ggo:
Nether have done nether will do
What happens at work stays at work

If life was only that simple.

I know quite a few drivers, buses and wagons that have had blameworthy accidents and not suffered any insurance issues, I myself was involved in a fatal (non blameworthy) and I never had any problems with insurance (least of my worries at the time).
After that I went into the office to work and on a few occasions went to court as a company representative when an injury claim was submitted against a driver and their actions driving and the driver was refereed to as the company name after the initial clarifications by the clerk, from then on he referred to as the company name.
It comes under vicarious liability, a risk the employer takes.

The problem arises if you ever have to make a claim on your car insurance.If you have not informed them when you should have then you have a big problem because they will not accept your claim.
Best to keep a safe distance and pay attention in future.!

Keeping schtum is all very well till the carp hits the fan.

Like most drivers we have to produce our licences regularly for inspection/photcopying, as part of the declaration we also have to report any accidents/prosecutions in any vehicle including our own cars.

I suspect those who don’t report a (especially blameworthy) RTA whilst at work to their own insurer could be taking a big risk…if you own you’re own home or have two ha’pennies to scratch your arse with it just might prove not be worth it.

Cheers for all the advice all sorted now I’ve notifed my own car insurance company just to be on the safe side they have just put a note on my policy

snowman77:
NO

Is the wrong answer. Legally yes you should however I doubt anyone does nor do I doubt anything happens as a result.

wheelnutt:
[quote=“trucker10”

As a general rule, an accident at work, will see your personal car insurance go up. All of the insurance companies will also have a no fault clause so even if the accident was not your fault, your insurance premium will still go up and you will lose some or all of your no claims bonus.

This is spot on, in my car at Dover got side swiped by a polish driver in a dutch truck, I was totally blameless and lost 2 years no claims and premium doubled!
That was chaucer insurance who, because they were so inept that they failed to recover full costs from the blameworthy party I had to pay the difference!
Robbing ferkers :imp:

I told my insurance company that of the two collisions I had at work ;I was told I had to report it to them but there was no cost affixed nor was it my fault but they are reported for statistics. They’re zero rated with my current insurer but still listed.

Most bus companies self insure with a high court bond so they’re not even put into the system if they can help it! I guess some Haulage companies are too.

Hiya its one of those things…if you tell them they say it dosn’t matter…
if you don’t they say why haven’t you told us.
A lad next door to me got nicked on his m/bike,his L plate was on the inside
of the little(Blue)windscreen making the L plate Purple, some how he got 3 points
and a fine.after a while he had a car which got nicked from Wilmslow. when he got
payed out he was deducted £160 from the payout because he had not told them about
the points he got on his licence. he was narked because he thought bike licence /insurance
was seporate from car licence /insurance…i don’t know why he got the points maybe he
got a it gobby with the copper.
I never told my insurance even though i got a totting up ban in 74. Things have changed with computers, one time their was some old lady going through files for hours looking up
us baddies. Now all they do is print in your N I number and a scroll a mile long flyies from the printer with every little mistake you ever made…thanks for electronic technology
John

rent a van,t bone your mates car for him to write it off… no lasting worries,he pays the excess for you,and happy days, in theory your meant to disclose everything,in reality,say nothing and 99% itl stay that way,if you dont declare points,then they will see that only when your due a payout,other than that,wreck anything at work in your truck,move employers,and destroy/wreck another few ,the insurance side of things is still not likely to follow you elsewhere.take out a policy as a part time motor trader with no premises,no repairs no public liability…motor trade dosent give ncd so youve nothing to lose. im fully comp to jump into anything with an engine up to 7500 kg…well under £700 a year so thats the car,bike,campervan and any other toys i play with etc. if you change back to a private car policy elsewhere,then youl have the ncb you had when you left them if you wangle it right,works for me?