Lorries with Eaton Twin-splitter 'boxes

Let’s not forget that the roaring Iveco Turbostar was also available with an Eaton Twin-splitter! Robert :slight_smile:

Turbostar with twin-splitter GB.jpg

Now the T45 Leyland Roadtrain, in its various guises, could also be had with an Eaton Twin-splitter - including the high-cabbed Interstate. Here is the evidence! Robert :slight_smile:

2135545-2.jpg

roadtrain NT-E14 & TS box.jpg

The later Leyland 80 had the Twin-splitter 'box as standard equipment. Robert

img774.jpg
Roadie.jpg

I ought to point out that, like the Road-Ranger, the Twin-splitter came in all sorts of variations according to the use to which it might be put vis-a-vis torque-load, ratio requirements, heavy-haul, long-haul etc etc. They also came as TS or TSO (overdrive ‘top’), as follows:

FOR EXAMPLE:

TS 11612 Direct Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter
TS 12612 Direct Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter
TS 13612 Direct Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter
TSO 11612 Over Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter
TSO 12612 Over Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter
TSO 13612 Over Drive Eaton 12 Speed Gearbox with Twin Splitter

Robert :slight_smile:

The French manufacturer, Loheac, used Fullers but in later models he sometimes fitted Twin-splitters. Robert :slight_smile:

MAN F8s could have ZF, Fuller or Eaton Twin-splitter, like this example being tested by one of the trade magazines. Robert

I showed a picture at the beginning of this thread of an MAN F90 I drove with an Eaton Twin-splitter in it. Here are a couple more examples of these. Robert :slight_smile:

And a fine LHD Portuguese example of a 6x4 version!

1_big (2).jpg
5_big.jpg

Bet you didn’t think you’d see a Scania on this thread! Robert :smiley:

Earlier I gave examples of Seddon-Atkinson Strato mark 1s; here are some Strato mark 2s (and Stratocruisers), which also had Twin-splitter 'boxes as standard. Robert :slight_smile:

Strao3.jpg
Stratocruiser.jpg

img744.jpg

img745.jpg

SA with Eaton Twin splitter.jpg
img742.jpg

Another quick look at mark 1s. Robert

img759.jpg
Stratocruise interior.jpg

The old wedge-shaped Steyr was a much-underrated wagon, if posters on this forum are to be believed (and I believe them). These came with Eaton Twin-splitters and the examples I give here certainly did. Robert :slight_smile:

Gaydon1.jpg
Twin splitter in this one.jpg

Here are some more ERFs known to have Twin-splitter 'boxes. Robert

double drive 380 Twin splitter.jpg
746460276282175160vb.png
img762.jpg
0012244001283780817l.jpg

E16 with Twin splitter and Gardner 320 bhp.jpg
img760.jpg
showpicCA1VXMCU.jpg

The MAN F8 had an Eaton Roadranger gearbox fitted, as did the very first F90’s. The Roadranger was a range change with splitter on the top four gears which could be engaged without the clutch. The gear knob had three positions like a twin-splitter but if working correctly should of had a spring loaded first position to stop accidental low range selection. I only ever saw one ‘D’ reg F90 with a Roadranger fitted but dozens of F8’s. The salesman at the time were telling customers that the F90 was an F8 with a different cab, which it wasn’t, pretty much only the back lights were the same.

robert1952:
MAN F8s could have ZF, Fuller or Eaton Twin-splitter, like this example being tested by one of the trade magazines. Robert

Interior of E14 with Twin-splitter, waiting to cross to France in early '93. Robert

poleman:
The MAN F8 had an Eaton Roadranger gearbox fitted, as did the very first F90’s. The Roadranger was a range change with splitter on the top four gears which could be engaged without the clutch. The gear knob had three positions like a twin-splitter but if working correctly should of had a spring loaded first position to stop accidental low range selection. I only ever saw one ‘D’ reg F90 with a Roadranger fitted but dozens of F8’s. The salesman at the time were telling customers that the F90 was an F8 with a different cab, which it wasn’t, pretty much only the back lights were the same.

robert1952:

The Road-Ranger could be a 9 or 13 'box and I have two long-running threads on here about those (see ‘Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Road-Rangers’ and ‘Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Road-Rangers’). The 'box you describe was the 13-speed version, which I drove in several F8 MANs. But the early F90s I drove had Twin-splitters, not 13-speed Fullers. If you read on through this thread you’ll see that I’ve posted other examples of both F8s and F90s with Twin-splitters - they were probably only available in UK! BTW I think F90s came on stream on E or F-plates. Cheers, Robert :slight_smile:

Ah-ha! I’ve just found in the depths of my files, an article on the Twin-splitter by Pat Kennett. I’ve scanned it and here it is. Robert