Lorries with Eaton Twin-splitter 'boxes

And here are some more Stratos with Twin-splitters - just a sample, mind! Robert :slight_smile:

big ■■■■■■■ and twin splitter.jpg

scan0030.jpg

robert1952:

Pirate:
My first experience of driving a HGV1 was in the army. It was a Seddon Atkinson Strato and all of the Royal Engineers Stratos had the Eaton Twin Splitter. After my first couple of drives, which were disastrously tuneful, I become quite skilled at bunny hopping my way up through a twin splitter. I got great satisfaction out of pulling an out of gauge load, block changing up and down and not missing a gear. It’s a real shame they are not fitted in modern vehicles. I find it strange that the emissions laws have outlawed the constant mesh boxes, I can only guess because you need to blip the throttle when changing gear? However, the modern auto boxes blip the throttle when changing up and down? Now how does that work?? :unamused:

Ha-ha, your’re right Pirate, the automated Eurotronic 2 double-declutches all by itself (I can do that: gissa job!) but alas the Twin-splitter wasn’t outlawed for air pollution but for sound pollution - it was too noisy!
Iny
To cheer you up, here are some Twin-splitting armed services Seddon Atkinson Stratos like the ones you drove. Robert :smiley:

They be the ones :smiley: ahhh, happy days. There`s some for sale on Truck trader, I think fir around 6K. I was tempted but the Mrs was having none of it :laughing:

I try to avoid the bunny hop when ever possible unless on a uphill with some weight on ,I’d sooner let my foot off the alluminium pedal very quickly and watch the rev counter needle bounce back before re accelerating ,I do sometimes double clutch from 10th to go down in to 9 th if approaching a down hill at speed to ensure a smooth and definite change down ,the jake is excellent for this gearbox to bring the revs down each time prior to down change .

We cannot leave Stratos without mentioning the one-off ‘Supercruiser’, with the DAF Super-space cab and, of course, a Twin-splitter! Robert :smiley:

bennets big a.JPG
big_a.jpg

I’ve perhaps mentioned this before bit above said lorry has the engine and 2 back axles taken from a EC14 .

Dan Punchard:
I try to avoid the bunny hop when ever possible unless on a uphill with some weight on ,I’d sooner let my foot off the alluminium pedal very quickly and watch the rev counter needle bounce back before re accelerating ,I do sometimes double clutch from 10th to go down in to 9 th if approaching a down hill at speed to ensure a smooth and definite change down ,the jake is excellent for this gearbox to bring the revs down each time prior to down change .

Absolutely! Part of the brilliance of the Twin-splitter is that, being utterly a ‘driver’s’ gearbox, it can be used in a variety of ways with a variety of techniques to suit the personal preferences of professional drivers. It gave us CHOICE. Why in God’s name anyone ever thought that what has replaced it was ever going to be any better is completely beyond me IMHO (not so humble!). Robert :unamused:

This was one of two LHD ERF E14s with Twin-splitters that EH Nicholls had. The driver of one of them posted briefly on TNUK some time ago saying it was the nicest truck to drive he’d ever had! Robert :smiley:

4184700742_38ff8cda15.jpg

Here’s a nice E-series ERF with a Twin-spitter. E-series had them as standard fitment, with Fuller RRs being an option. Robert :slight_smile:

■■■■■■■ Twin Splitter    F974EDS.JPG

robert1952:

gazsa401:

robert1952:

Here’s my last lorry I drove before I packed up driving and took a yard shunting job
It was fitted with the magnificent twin splitter and coupled to a 375 Perkins/Rolls engine it was a cracking motor
Sorry about the photo 1

It was clearly an excellent hill-climber, Gaza! Never mind, I’ve straightened it up for you. Robert :smiley:

Thanks Robert I’m not used to this 21st century technology yet
I came off a Gardner powered E12 also fitted with a twin splitter I’ll try and find some photos of that lorry
Our fitters even fitted a couple of Gardner 8LXCT ERF C40s with the twin splitters

Good man Gaza! Look forward to them.

Another fine example of an E-series with a TS 'box. Robert

6051669537_7842f57db8.jpg

Like the E-series, the ERF EC-series also had Twin-splitters as standard equipment; but it was the last ERF model to do so. Robert

V250GBF.jpg
EC Olympic.jpg

That ERF would appear to be re cabbed as it’s clearly a V reg but the interior would suggest its a lot older?

No Dan, the two pictures are unrelated - I should have said!

Like the DAF 85, the Foden 3000 range which used the same cab could be bought with a Twin-splitter as an option. Here are a couple proof pics! Robert :smiley:

img765.jpg
img767.jpg

And of course the Twin-splitter was a favourite with many of the users of bigger Fodens. Robert :slight_smile:

■■■■■■■ 325 twin splitter box.jpg

You could get a decent Ford Cargo with a Ford 'box, a Fuller RR 'box or even an Eaton Twin-splitter. Here are some examples. Robert :smiley:

gaydon5.jpg
Steelboys085.JPG
TS.JPG

Hino what this is! It’s a 350 with a Twin-splitter! Robert

1993 Hino 350 Twin splitter.jpg

Just look at this little gem! It was for sale in Holland about 4 years ago: a double-drive Eurotech with LHD and a Twin-splitter. It would have made a nice winter-weather long-hauler if you could put up with the poor cab build-quality. I’d have loved it! Robert :slight_smile:

f_182368_HLV_show.jpg
f_182368_HDA_show.jpg
f_182368_HLA_show.jpg

And here’s a LHD Eurostar with a TS 'box. The interior picture doesn’t go with the exterior one! Robert :slight_smile:

5_big.jpg
img713.jpg

This Eurostar had a 520 V8 and Twin-splitter- fantastic! Talking to drivers of these (when I had a 420, this happened from time to time!), I discovered that 520s were usually fitted with SAMT, which was an automated version of the Twin-splitter, to stop drivers mis-using the massive torque available and straining (not breaking, you notice!) the Twin-splitter. Most people agree that SAMT was crap and had their vehicles converted to manual Twin-splitter. Robert

V8 Eurostar 520 Twin-splitter.jpg

As I loved Eurostars with Twin-splitters, I’d like to treat you all to a further, small selection of goodies… Robert :laughing:

IMG Eurostar with Twin-splitter.jpg
3714974213_5fe26eabf9.jpg

img724.jpg