Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Even Renaults had 'em for a while! Here’s a recent article from Classic Truck magazine showing which ones and when. Robert

I had a Y reg TR305 that had a 9spd Fuller. It came to grief after a tow home from Dover with the prop still connected, it made it all the way to Swanscombe before the back wheels locked up. It then somehow spontaneously combusted in the yard over the weekend. I wasn’t involved in either the breakdown, the recovery or the pyrotechnics.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
I had a Y reg TR305 that had a 9spd Fuller. It came to grief after a tow home from Dover with the prop still connected, it made it all the way to Swanscombe before the back wheels locked up. It then somehow spontaneously combusted in the yard over the weekend. I wasn’t involved in either the breakdown, the recovery or the pyrotechnics.

Was the g/box installation good, say, on a continuum twixt MAN as SA? lol Robert

No mate, it was like the Seddon Atkis, a round the houses shift pattern, nowhere near as good an installation as on the Big Henry that shared its cab, still it was a fairly decent motor in its day, it went well enough.

It’s looking like I’ll be needing a Eaton box to go behind a 14 litre 525 if anyone has anything to sell .i know the driver will want a synchromesh :unamused: thanks Dan

Just a question that has gone unanswered for me for some years now. Does anyone know of an example of an ERF EC with the Olympic cab being fitted with a 9-speed Fuller? We know of plenty of examples of flat-top ECs fitted with the box; and a handful of Olympics fitted with 13-speed Fullers, but no 9-speed examples. Apart from the obvious solution of blanking off a 13-sp to make it 9-sp, does anyone know of original examples?

R (1).jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Just a question that has gone unanswered for me for some years now. Does anyone know of an example of an ERF EC with the Olympic cab being fitted with a 9-speed Fuller? We know of plenty of examples of flat-top ECs fitted with the box; and a handful of Olympics fitted with 13-speed Fullers, but no 9-speed examples. Apart from the obvious solution of blanking off a 13-sp to make it 9-sp, does anyone know of original examples?

Rowena,

From a 1995 specification-sheet herewith some technical info and I am not sure if any were sold with the Fuller-9-speed.

Happy X-mas!

A-J

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

Rowena,

From a 1995 specification-sheet herewith some technical info and I am not sure if any were sold with the Fuller-9-speed.

Happy X-mas!

A-J

That’s useful confirmation that a factory-fitted RTX14609A 'box was offered in the EC. Merry Christmas A-J!

Rowena

ERF-NGC-European:

I drove an ec Olympic with a 9 speed fuller and perkins 375 . Great motor except for the gearbox , it was an under drive , never saw the reasoning behind under drive. It came in Massey Wilcox colours . The shift was slick , but only full gear changes on 7th and 8th .

rigsby:

ERF-NGC-European:

I drove an ec Olympic with a 9 speed fuller and perkins 375 . Great motor except for the gearbox , it was an under drive , never saw the reasoning behind under drive. It came in Massey Wilcox colours . The shift was slick , but only full gear changes on 7th and 8th .

Thanks for that Rigsby! :sunglasses:

Ro

Does this count?

youtu.be/CKmDpCosetA?t=36

ParkRoyal2100:
Does this count?

youtu.be/CKmDpCosetA?t=36

Well, one of the comment writers had added that it would have had a 690 with a 9-sp Fuller box but I don’t think 9-sp Fullers were around then. I’m not sure even the 10-sp ones were around in 1957. It’s more likely the AEC had a TET 6-sp 'box.

ERF-NGC-European:

rigsby:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thanks for that Rigsby! :sunglasses:

Ro

PS Not sure what you mean about only full gear changes, as the 9-sp Fuller has only full stick shifts (no splitter). Are you sure it wasn’t one of those Eaton ‘S’-type synchromesh 'boxes that went into some ECs? Some of those had the splitshifts negated in low range, giving 12 instead of 16 gears.

Old fuller road ranger advert.

DEANB:
Old fuller road ranger advert.

That’s a useful reference. Perhaps the AEC had a Fuller after all! :sunglasses:

The advert ^^^^^shows the Fuller R 'boxes (R=Roadranger) which would have preceded the RT boxes we know today (T= twin countershaft). :wink: