Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

richmond:
Lots of heavy haulage boys did this conversion and also Aussie road trains had them I think. You would have thought scania would have a how to do manual on it but they knew nothing

No we use 18 speed Road Rangers , to much of a jump with the 13 speed… you still have to rev the clackers of them some times…

Jeff…

New Zealanders shoehorned an RTO 9513 into this it was the only bit I couldn’t remove during restoration without doing a lot of damage

Laurie Dryver:
New Zealanders shoehorned an RTO 9513 into this it was the only bit I couldn’t remove during restoration without doing a lot of damage

Noel ?

richmond:

Laurie Dryver:

Noel ?

Correct = who am dis pls?

We mix in the same circles but I don’t think you know me karl Skilton ask Bob corpe if ya know him or william

richmond:
We mix in the same circles but I don’t think you know me karl Skilton ask Bob corpe if ya know him or william

I Know of you Karl but we’ve not met as for Corpy - what can I say - love him to bits
speak soon regards Noel

richmond:
Lots of heavy haulage boys did this conversion and also Aussie road trains had them I think. You would have thought scania would have a how to do manual on it but they knew nothing

Well, I take my hat off to those who can re-engineer a unit to accept a ‘foreign’ gearbox! This has been an exciting project and it’s a privilege to have been able to follow its progress through this thread. Robert :smiley:

Terry T:

Good lord. We got drivers who scream like children on the waltzers if we run out of alcohol wipes to clean the dashboard and steering wheel.

God knows what they’d do if they were handed the keys to that :astonished:

But Terry, mate: that’s the interior of (hushed tones here) an ERF NGC ‘European’! - (a pause to sigh) - If you were given the keys to a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost you’d pardon the slightly foxed leather and the cracked steering wheel for the privilege of driving it! Same goes for one of these. :laughing: Robert :smiley:

fryske:

Armstrong:
This one had a 13spd Fuller and ■■■■■■■ 325, it was a powerful lorry in its day.

Regards ,Armstrong

Snapped that a couple of weeks ago at a dealers

Where abouts did you see her fryske ? probably residing in a warmer climate by now.
Regards Armstrong

Well I went to nicks on Thursday and
Collected the scania , it works a treat takes a bit of getting used to, but he has done a brilliant job and the clutch and box and gearstick are the best they have been since I have owned it. Should have been a factory option, brilliant

back in 2000 i drove L 71 PUM , also a foden, long wheelbase hiab lorry . 290 rolls ( perkins ) 13 speed fuller . the fuller installation was spot on even with the cable change .dave

richmond:
Well I went to nicks on Thursday and
Collected the scania , it works a treat takes a bit of getting used to, but he has done a brilliant job and the clutch and box and gearstick are the best they have been since I have owned it. Should have been a factory option, brilliant

That old Fuller stick will become an extension of your right hand and brain in no time at all. Marvellous. Robert :smiley:

it doesn’t matter which hand robert . strangely enough i learned to drive on a gmc 6x6 lorry , so i am ambidextrous with a gear lever . i agree with you that the fuller sat naturally in your hand and changing gear just happened without thinking about it . dave

rigsby:
it doesn’t matter which hand robert . strangely enough i learned to drive on a gmc 6x6 lorry , so i am ambidextrous with a gear lever . i agree with you that the fuller sat naturally in your hand and changing gear just happened without thinking about it . dave

You’re absolutely right about the hand Rigsby (or left about the hand for that matter!). I too am ambidextrous with a gear lever. I’ve worked for companies that have had both RHD & LHD in the yard and some days I’d drove both (not at the same time, you understand :open_mouth: ). To complicate things further I’ve run RHD and LHD cars so even getting home after a trip was another reorientation experience. Puts hairs on your chest does that - well, I’ve got six on mine, and they’re loose! Robert :smiley:

Here’s another example of a Turk-spec DAF 3300 6x4 (flat roof) with 13-speed Fuller supplied new (not the bonetted one). It’s in a well-written article by George Bennett who accompanied half a dozen new DAFs on a promotional tour of Turkey. I’ve scanned the whole piece, as it makes fascinating reading. Robert :smiley:

richmond:
The box came with a pto on it so we fitted it just out of laziness so a pto will still fit on, however it leaked so we had to take it off again !

Any pics yet ? I especially want to see the clutch cylinder.

Will do mate it’s all in and working a treat

richmond:
Will do mate it’s all in and working a treat

Hello mate, is the old 13-speeder still stirring the soul as well as the gearbox? Give us a shout if you want the odd delivery done! Robert :smiley:

These 3 all had 13speed r/rangers. The F12 still retained the Volvo engine, whereas the Daf engine was replaced with a M11 ■■■■■■■■
All 3 by the way, have been taken off the road within the last 2 years.

colinwallace1:
These 3 all had 13speed r/rangers. The F12 still retained the Volvo engine, whereas the Daf engine was replaced with a M11 ■■■■■■■■
All 3 by the way, have been taken off the road within the last 2 years.

Blimey, that’s impressive! They look like Oz lorries. Those F12 were comfortable to drive anyway, but with a Fuller they’d be marvellous. Cheers Colin. Robert :smiley: