Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

richmond:
Nick bulls progress! Not mine its around his place and he is doing the job, he just sends me some pics here and there

I’ve got several pics (from the internet) of Nick Bull’s series 2 Scanias, one (some) of which he had converted to 13-speed Fuller. Any idea which ones exactly were converted? Here’s a selection of pics to work on! Robert :smiley:

010_Astran_Scania_142-143-1.jpg

My KW had a 14613 in it at the time this photo was taken,it did a fine job pretty close to 2million kms with a couple of bearing/seal kits and splitter synocro fitted and was replaced with an 18speed which I didn’t like half as much and had to have 2 oil cooler radiators fitted to keep temperatures under control when pulling triples.

cheers DIG

Trucks1.jpeg

Dig wasn’t she the one with the KTA ■■■■■■■■
Would have been stretching that box (rated at 1400ft lbs?) as the KTA’s start at around 1500 ft lbs.
There must be a huge overload factor built into those boxes for her to clock up so many trouble free miles.

Quite correct Cargo,originally when I first purchased the truck the K 19 was set at 450hp no after cooling and had a 15speed RR after a couple of years I purchased the 13 speed second hand and it had half a million kms under the belt then but I knew the owner and he was/is an extremely good operator,we stripped the box and put bearings seals etc and away it went for another million which at that time I did an out of chassis engine rebuild and upgrade to 525hp but inter cooled not after cooled, ■■■■■■■ said it couldn’t be done but we did it and the engine performed extremely well so did the 13 speed but I always felt it was on its limit so after about 100000kms i traded it in on the 18speed,
I have to say though the box showed no signs of problems and the dealer fitted a couple of overdrive gears as they were through the hardening and on sold it. Probably still going.

Cheers Dig

robert1952:

richmond:
It. Fits

@Richmond: bravo! I’m watching your progress with interest (and encouragement). Robert :smiley:

@Tip-top: Hey, Eric! Your signature reads, A Fuller driver is a happy driver! Does this come from an old advertisement? And if so, which one? Robert :smiley:

Hey Robert, that looks realy nice, That’s the way to go, the maxim is self made, but that what the pic here shows must has been a common sight for at least four decades. :grimacing:
I learnt after driving some Daf’s, after years on Volvo and Scania mostly, that it was the box to go for
(for me an RTO ■■■13 :smiley:) Not the the Volvo boxes weren’t good, they were nice with 16 speeds. But never liked the 12 speed with only 3 base selection and the stick standing forward :angry: .
Scania boxes were ok until the 0 series came, weren’t uprated for more power, the shifting became harsh and the planetary splitter broke constantly. The first Range change came end '71 better to shift, but even a worse
(now planetary range change). So (keep it simple drive Fuller)
Even today wouldn’t need a book to build together a Scania box, I did some decades ago, so you can think.
But Fuller’s with over a million km on the clock, we rarely opened one AND with (compressor PTO’s on them).
OK a good driver could manage a lot of kilmeters with a scanny box, BUT to be a prudent driver in days with only about 280/300hp and 30 tonnes on the back, no motorways and 800/1000km a day would be difficult to be :slight_smile: .

Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:

richmond:
It. Fits

@Richmond: bravo! I’m watching your progress with interest (and encouragement). Robert :smiley:

@Tip-top: Hey, Eric! Your signature reads, A Fuller driver is a happy driver! Does this come from an old advertisement? And if so, which one? Robert :smiley:

Hey Robert, that looks realy nice, That’s the way to go, the maxim is self made, but that what the pic here shows must has been a common sight for at least four decades. :grimacing:
I learnt after driving some Daf’s, after years on Volvo and Scania mostly, that it was the box to go for
(for me an RTO ■■■13 :smiley:) Not the the Volvo boxes weren’t good, they were nice with 16 speeds. But never liked the 12 speed with only 3 base selection and the stick standing forward :angry: .
Scania boxes were ok until the 0 series came, weren’t uprated for more power, the shifting became harsh and the planetary splitter broke constantly. The first Range change came end '71 better to shift, but even a worse
(now planetary range change). So (keep it simple drive Fuller)
Even today wouldn’t need a book to build together a Scania box, I did some decades ago, so you can think.
But Fuller’s with over a million km on the clock, we rarely opened one AND with (compressor PTO’s on them).
OK a good driver could manage a lot of kilmeters with a scanny box, BUT to be a prudent driver in days with only about 280/300hp and 30 tonnes on the back, no motorways and 800/1000km a day would be difficult to be :slight_smile: .

Eric,

Brilliant, Eric! You are a man after my own heart! And bravo for inventing a catch-phrase which Fuller could have successfully used for several decades if they had thought of it first. Well, in my case, a Fuller driver is a happy driver - indeed! Robert :smiley:

The last, and possibly most expensive but so far, purpose made prop shaft, think that’s the last bit to be bought

richmond:
The last, and possibly most expensive but so far, purpose made prop shaft, think that’s the last bit to be bought

Fingers crossed, mate! Robert :smiley:

Behold: a Mercedes NG 2028 with a 13-speed Fuller. Tip-top has already suggested that they were available as an option, but this one clearly was one of those examples. Even better: it is in LHD with a Middle-East spec external air intake pipe. I have posted a picture below.

A very nice web-site is dedicated to this vehicle and I can recommend it. Here is the link:
truckblog.co.uk/2014/08/18/marty … nz-2028ls/

LHD Merc 2028 with F13 and pipe pic 1.jpg

The spec is quite impressive:

— Left hand drive (enormous steering wheel!)
— L type sleeper cab with twin bunks
— Red orange cab
— Red oxide colour chassis
— Jost sliding 5th wheel
— MB 14.6 litre naturally aspirated V8 engine. 276hp.
— Fuller roadranger constant mesh 13 speed gearbox. 4 speed + range change + splitter on top 4 gears and a crawler. Very unusual as it would have normally been a ZF Ecosplit.
— 12R x 22.5 tyres
— Centre axle permanently steered with air suspension above a steel spring load transfer device.
— Rear axle. Hub reduction, full four bag air suspension with in cab level control
— GVW was 20,330kg
— 3,750mm outer axle spread — the prop shaft was as thick as a telegraph pole!

Reflecting on my last post, I have to say that this old girl ticks quite a lot of boxes for me:

Low-tech, LHD, 14-litre, 13-speed Fuller, Middle-East spec air pipe, spread-axle 12m tilt… Robert

LHD Merc 2028 with F13 and pipe pic 6.jpg

Yes, simple big, naturally aspirated engine.

My problem with those Mercs was that they sounded like my Perkins V8. As described by Bill Keith of W Keith and Sons, Flookburgh. ‘A bag of nails, shaken’

The only V8 which sounded balanced to me was the Scania.

Having said all that, the Mercs seemed to perform OK, even in the extreme heat of the Saudi Sumer.
John

robert1952:
Behold: a Mercedes NG 2028 with a 13-speed Fuller. Tip-top has already suggested that they were available as an option, but this one clearly was one of those examples. Even better: it is in LHD with a Middle-East spec external air intake pipe. I have posted a picture below.

A very nice web-site is dedicated to this vehicle and I can recommend it. Here is the link:

hey Robert,

Eric,

160434188.jpg

tiptop495:

robert1952:

hey Robert,

Eric,

Cheers Eric!

John West:
Yes, simple big, naturally aspirated engine.

My problem with those Mercs was that they sounded like my Perkins V8. As described by Bill Keith of W Keith and Sons, Flookburgh. ‘A bag of nails, shaken’

The only V8 which sounded balanced to me was the Scania.

Having said all that, the Mercs seemed to perform OK, even in the extreme heat of the Saudi Sumer.
John

All true enough! Give me a 14-litre straight six any day. Mind you, I did one Morocco trip with a Merc SK V8 500 bhp and it didn’t half iron out those fearsome Spanish hills. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:

I remember BPV 543 Y very well. We had lots of adventures together. I had forgotten it had a Fuller. It was always Fred’s pride and joy. But was never very good when it came to traction; the air dump for the middle axle was outside by the battery box. Also the air-suspension always attracted a lot of moisture into the air tanks and it was prone to freezing various valves in various places. Normally it was a trouble-free engine and gear-box; but I can remember the time when the fuel filters froze in northern Romania. I built a wall of snow around the cab to keep the heat in and had diesel fuel fires in empty food cans; which I stood on a couple of tilt boards and slid under the engine.

Thanks for adding the detail, Chris :smiley: .Robert

Hey, found out that the MB’s had the non overdrive RT9513 which had the adantage that the gap
between fourth and fifth was smaller. With low power everythings counts.
Of course you could use the high crauwler on the RTO, but never did.

Eric,

richmond:
Well progress is slow but moving on, here is a clutch bully had modified and re coned for the job

What exactly had to be chanced to work with Fuller box ? A friend of mine bought completely new clutch meant for Sisu and machined Scania flywheel to accept it. The reason was he wanted to use clutchbrake like Sisu is using even if I recommended Iveco style transmission brake.

This Stralis had originally ZF box but it kept breaking something from the splitter part so the owner changed an overhauled 18-speed Fuller in place. It was completely done after about 3 months so he bought a 13-speed from scrapyard, it lasted a couple of weeks, so he went back to ZF and kept repairing the splitter every now and then.

V8Lenny:
This Stralis had originally ZF box but it kept breaking something from the splitter part so the owner changed an overhauled 18-speed Fuller in place. It was completely done after about 3 months so he bought a 13-speed from scrapyard, it lasted a couple of weeks, so he went back to ZF and kept repairing the splitter every now and then.

How bizarre! I loved the Stralis I drove but hated the ZF Eurotronic thingy. Shame the Fuller didn’t last in your example. Robert