Lorries Ruin Lives

Muckaway:
The A46 was ruined because of NIMBYs in Painswick.

It still didn’t stop me driving through there at night working for R.A Merediths delivering at night to Sainsbury stores in Cheltenham and Glos.

You quite clearly don’t do nights so have absolutely no clue just how bad it is in this country for those of us who do.

No I do not but I have in the past and I do sympathise with you but diversions are put there for a reason. Generally to cause as little disruption as possible which includes stopping lorries going past village houses in the middle of the night.
I know it is not illegal but if drivers keep ignoring signs and causing problems just to save a few miles then things will change for sure.

If your not happy try doing days and sit in the jams like everone else. :laughing:

albion1971:
There was an offical diversion route set out but drivers ignored it because they are selfish and do not care about anybody but themselves.
Don’t blame the residents as I am sure if you lived in the village and were woken up in the middle of the night you would be pi**ed off as well.

+1

This whole full road closure senario at night needs to be investigated at a higher level.
Companies affected need to produce concrete evidence of higher running costs at night not to mention late deliveries etc.
There has to be a better option than a full motorway closure. 1 live lane with temp speed cameras, just to keep the traffic moving.

No weight restrictions or height restrictions then you can bloody go down any part of the queens highway you please. Lorry drivers have to get from A to B as quickly and as safely as possible they can’t be stopping at every village to take a poll if they should take a certain route or not.

Villagers should contact the highways agency and tell them to pull the finger out with the roadworks no be moaning about drivers taking the shortest route which they would do themselves in the same circumstances, hypocritical ■■■■■■■■■ :unamused:

albion1971:
You quite clearly don’t do nights so have absolutely no clue just how bad it is in this country for those of us who do.

No I do not but I have in the past

If in the past is more than 18 months ago then you quite frankly do not have a clue just how bad it has got. The last 18 months have been completely and utterly ridiculous. Take one run I do which is Howden to Northampton to Runcorn to Howden. Usual route is M62, M18, M1s, M1N, M6, M56, M62. One night there was 4 closures on the M6 - J2, J3-4, J8 and I think it was somewhere between J10-13. No problem just go back up the M1 to J24 along the A50 to Stoke on Trent and up the M6 from there. Only problem was M1 J18-19 northbound full closure, J24 full closure, first half mile after J24 on A50 full closure and also there was a full closure on the A5 as well at Cannock so even that wasn’t an alternative. And to top that, J11 on the M56 was closed so it was take the next junction into Runcorn past the chemical works.

and I do sympathise with you but diversions are put there for a reason. Generally to cause as little disruption as possible which includes stopping lorries going past village houses in the middle of the night.

And those of us not using them are not using them for a reason too.

If your not happy try doing days and sit in the jams like everone else. :laughing:

I did do days on Friday. It was a luxury not to have to worry about road closures for roadworks and I managed to do 580km run in a day including 5 drops around Birmingham, Coventry and Nuneaton crawling back home up the M1 from J23A to J31 at teatime in less driving hours than I did a 560km planned run on Wednesday night after all the diversions adding another 40 miles to the job.

Tough ■■■■ if lorries use the road, they should have not bought a house by a road, its like these Nimby ponces that buy a house by an airport then moan about the noise and stop more runways being built .
Or cows mooing wakes them up, the milking machine, the church bells on a Sunday, manure being spread in the fields, the cockerel doing its early am wake up call .
Road fund licence is paid, drive where you want.

Nice one Connor. You make my patch ( Wales ) look safe judging by your map. Most of the immigrants here have developed webbed feet :laughing:

And there’s plenty of n.i.m.b.'y’s here too…

merc0447:
No weight restrictions or height restrictions then you can bloody go down any part of the queens highway you please. Lorry drivers have to get from A to B as quickly and as safely as possible they can’t be stopping at every village to take a poll if they should take a certain route or not.

Villagers should contact the highways agency and tell them to pull the finger out with the roadworks no be moaning about drivers taking the shortest route which they would do themselves in the same circumstances, hypocritical [zb] :unamused:

Well said that man!

understandable if cars and lorries are ignoring the official diversion route,even though I am a hgv driver I would not want these vehicles running a few feet from my windows if I lived there

robinhood_1984:

merc0447:

Villagers should contact the highways agency and tell them to pull the finger out with the roadworks no be moaning about drivers taking the shortest route which they would do themselves in the same circumstances, hypocritical [zb] :unamused:

Well said that man!

Is’nt there something on the msn page now… contractors will be fined £5000 a day for overrunning the agreed contract time?

m.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14240926 … _rerouted/
North Oxfordshire NIMBYs complaining about lorries that haven’t even started coming through yet.

truckman020:
understandable if cars and lorries are ignoring the official diversion route,even though I am a hgv driver I would not want these vehicles running a few feet from my windows if I lived there

It doesn’t matter though does it. Official diversion routes as you call them are nothing more than an advisory route that the authorities suggest you take in lieu of the closed road. There is nothing compelling you by law to take that route if other legal routes are available, just as there is no legal requirement to actually use the A1 once its opened again if you wish not to and legal alternatives exist.

I wonder how many people live on the actual “official diversion route” and are as equally pee’d off about these menacing hundreds or thousands of trucks per day/night that they’re not used to.

Its a complete non-story. As soon as the roadworks are complete this will be a distant memory and until that time, there is absolutely nothing to be said about motorists driving down a road they’ve paid to use and as a main A category road is entirely suitable for them to use.

Absolute ■■■■■■■■. The A167 is used day and night to get between the A1 and A66 to Teesside from the North or to the North from Teesside, and to be fair it is a busy main road, thus why it has 50/40/30 speed limits as you get closer to Darlington. Anyone who buys a house close to a main road and complains about traffic day or night small or large is the same type of ■■■■■■ who buys a house in the countryside and complains about the noise of sheep/cows/etc.

I live on a main road next to an industrial estate, bedroom window is literally 20 feet from the road, I work night shift and during the day I can count a lorry going past probably every other minute and sometimes you can feel them. Yes there are other easier to navigate roads leading into the industrial estate that they could use, but regardless I don’t complain.

These ZB nimby’s should be told to shut up and put up

I had trip along A66 from M6 - A1 then south to Peterborough, the A1 was closed from A66 junction (Scotch Corner) to the new motorway at Leeming.

Official diversion was A1 NORTH to J60!!! A689, A19 (A168) to A1

What a joke.

My diversion - A1 North, A66(M), A168, A167, A168 (A19), A1 South - Through Northallerton and Thirsk

The official diversion was 49.1 miles from the A66(M) Junction to A168 Thirsk Junction

My diversion was 25.5 miles (from A66(M) Junction to A168 Thirsk Junction)

Sorry, but who on earth do these people think they are to tell me I can not use a LEGAL route and should travel an additional 23.6 miles?

EDIT: It could have been official diversion J59 - A167/A66/A19 - Still 43.7 miles compared to 25.5.

what made me laugh was the number of thick ■■■■■ following the official diversion - its stupidly far out of the way

I remember the M6 being shut two junctions up form the one I needed one night when I was heading to Runcorn. The diversion signs took us through a few sets of lights no problem, the turns to take at roundabouts etc (along the 576 to warrington if I remember correctly) and then the very last roundabout said M6 diversion take left. THE SLIP ROAD WAS CLOSED! No other signs of what way to go or of alternative routes. Luckily I kind of knew what way to go and dropped in via Widnes but the point im making is, just because there is a diversion doesnt automatically mean it will actually take you back on route!
Ans as someone else said, if there is no width, weight or length restrictions on the road then an hgv has as much right to use it as any other vehicle. Just because someone buys a house next to a road does not mean they can have a say of what type of vehicles are allowed to use it

albion1971:
if drivers keep ignoring signs and causing problems just to save a few miles
[/quote]
Alot of the pallet companys had to start double manning their night trunks in Devon last summer beacause the amount of diversions and night closures meant the drivers kept running out of hours, so saving a few miles does make a difference.

robinhood_1984:

truckman020:

It doesn’t matter though does it. Official diversion routes as you call them are nothing more than an advisory route that the authorities suggest you take in lieu of the closed road. There is nothing compelling you by law to take that route if other legal routes are available, just as there is no legal requirement to actually use the A1 once its opened again if you wish not to and legal alternatives exist.

I wonder how many people live on the actual “official diversion route” and are as equally pee’d off about these menacing hundreds or thousands of trucks per day/night that they’re not used to.

Its a complete non-story. As soon as the roadworks are complete this will be a distant memory and until that time, there is absolutely nothing to be said about motorists driving down a road they’ve paid to use and as a main A category road is entirely suitable for them to use.

i did not call it that,i quoted what i read in the link about the official diversion route,despite what i said about living there i personally could not care less about these resident nimbys