Loosing a mudflap

got back fri to be told id caused a load of hassle as the trailer id used on wed had no mudgaurd when the next driver had gone to use it.
when he told me which trailer it was i told them i couldnt remember loosing a mudgaurd [ lost 2 over the years , both with a bang as you reversed back], also id had to go round the back on the 2 bays id been on and there was no mudgaurd i remember.
anyway eventually hesays it wasnt a mudgaurd missing but a mudflap.
anyway he eventually said in a funny way the bad winds probally blew it off :unamused: :unamused: .
but honestly would you notice a mudflap falling off , its something ill check when i get back now but ive never walked round checking before when ive got back

It’s a PG9 for a missing mudflap & Mr TOSSA, sorry VOSA will issue one everytime & then it’s a visit to the test station & that won’t make you too popular with the boss man :cry:

If it was there when you did your circle checks and you havent knocked it off, I would not worry about it. but I always walk around the trailer when I drop it off just to make sure I didnt forget anything.

I suppose a nil defect sheet on every trailer change wiould identify the problem sooner.

I did get a verbal warning over Christmas for using a trailer with wire poking from the tyre tread.

What actually happened was that the trailer I was supposed to load was in the yard. I checked the doors first and found it was still loaded. I couldnt reach anyone so took another trailer to load and left a note.

2 weeks later a callout bill from ATS for a blown tyre dropped on the office mat and the trailer was traced back to me :stuck_out_tongue: Some back pedalling was done when I suggested the duty manager should carry his phone and that I never even coupled to that trailer. I took a decision to load another trailer, and that warning was quietly dropped :wink:

Was giving a guy a guide in to a bay thursday , not sure if he was new or just not confident enough to get into the bay ( c my diary for a few days , tight bays) , despite SHOUTING at him to stop as he was hitting the corner , he kept going ripping his mud flap and guard off!!!
Thankfully my shouting and waving arms eventulay stopped him before he hit the warehouse , but not before the wreaked guard was under the three wheels of the trailer !

I wouldn’t worry too much about a mudflap…

I nearly lost the roof on Wednesday. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Working time infringements and losing mudflaps, you’re gonna be behind bars with Bubba if you’re not careful! :wink:

ady1:
got back fri to be told id caused a load of hassle as the trailer id used on wed had no mudgaurd when the next driver had gone to use it.
when he told me which trailer it was i told them i couldnt remember loosing a mudgaurd [ lost 2 over the years , both with a bang as you reversed back], also id had to go round the back on the 2 bays id been on and there was no mudgaurd i remember.
anyway eventually hesays it wasnt a mudgaurd missing but a mud flaps.
anyway he eventually said in a funny way the bad winds probally blew it off :unamused: :unamused: .
but honestly would you notice a mudflap falling off , its something ill check when i get back now but ive never walked round checking before when ive got back

I also encountered this kind of problem. I thought I lose the mud guard but it was the mud flaps. No big deal.

Recently during my walk-around I noticed that a mud-flap was beginning to split at the join with the 'guard. Decided to defect it, and when one of our mechanics had a look at he discovered that the whole thing was beginning to split (the flap is a continuation of an anti spray thing that runs up the inside of the guard) and fall off. He replaced it, and used proper nuts, bolts and washers instead of the stupid little plastic things that Daf use.

Point is, I very nearly missed it coz it didn’t look that serious, and it would have definitely got me a ticket from VOSA, or worse if had come off and caused an accident. So mud-flaps are definitely worth a closer look on your checks.

When you have drivers and planners who will start an investigation rather than get the fault repaired, it is even more important to do a proper walk round check. Years ago a missing marker light, faded long vehicle sign or cracked reflector would be tolerated and would be picked up on a service or fitters inspection, now a VOSA vehicle sees a mud flap and wonders what else you have missed.

It is one of the things that have both improved and got worse at the same time, no more taking trailers out with dodgy tyres, but a mass bollocking or fine if you miss something on the driver checks.

i know the hassle it causes ady,i picked up a trailer from unilever at donny a few months ago,when i did my checks i saw the n/s rear spray flap was missing off the trailer.it took 3 hours to get it sorted,there was a guy waiting at barlborough for the load to take it onto swindon,so he was late as well.

Caused a load of hassle for a spray suppresor that takes about 10 minutes to fit ?
Really , that much hassle LOL

paul@midway:
Caused a load of hassle for a spray suppresor that takes about 10 minutes to fit ?
Really , that much hassle LOL

er,yeah,as the fitter that was called out had to finish the job he was doing,then drive about 35 miles to site,took an hour to fit it as the mudguard had to come off for it to be fitted right,stobart trailers have the skirts on so you can’t get into the mudguard properly to fit the spray flap,so all that takes time.
meantime,i’m getting paid to sit in my cab & there’s a guy waiting for the load,who’s also getting paid to wait around,all this because someone didn’t do there checks right or knocked it off & never said anything.trailer will have been onsite for ages so could have been fixed long before i went in to pick it up if someone had defected it.