Loose Wheel on m62 27/1

anyone else see the powder tanker parked up on M62 w/bound between 27/26 yesterday?
looks like he’s lost both n/s drive axle wheels!!! :astonished:
saw 1 of them up against the concrete central resevation about 400 metres away from the truck,how it didn’t hit anyone as it went along the hard shoulder armco then across the 3 lanes of m/way is a bloody miracle!!
good to see those concrete barriers work though,must have saved someone fom getting hit by the loos wheel
vosa incident van there inspecting the tractor unit so not sure of what the outcome will be for the driver & firm.

Oh dear.

I heard a rumour that the nuts are more likely to go slack on the n/s drive axle, unless its been more serious?

When I started my apprenticeship as a mechanic with the co-op they had a few old ldvs that had left hand threads on the n/s wheel nuts, no idea if anyone still does this or not but it’s to prevent this happening.

darkseeker:
When I started my apprenticeship as a mechanic with the co-op they had a few old ldvs that had left hand threads on the n/s wheel nuts, no idea if anyone still does this or not but it’s to prevent this happening.

All the trailers I originally worked with had this, but fairly certain they were all changed to standard thread in the late 70’s

The last time i changed a unit wheel was on a Scania 80 they were left and right thread the rule being that they would always tighten with forward travel. Always funny see some one trying the first time getting a longer length of scaf pole on the brace and jumping on it. then go and undo it with a 3 foot length for them.

I lost two off the n/s drive axle about 15 years ago, bit weird when you get overtaken by your own wheels!

cliffpark06:
I lost two off the n/s drive axle about 15 years ago, bit weird when you get overtaken by your own wheels!

I have only ever lost one wheel, actually it was two complete with drum, hub, bearing and brake shoes. when we found the wheel near Stanton and Staveley the wheel nuts were still tight :laughing:

i had a front wheel come loose on the m5 but i heard it banging and managed to pull in strensham before it fell off :open_mouth: