Looming skills shortage in Australia?!?

mobile.news.com.au/national/nsw- … 6794470866
Truckies might qualify for employer sponsored skilled migration visa, if Australian industry body gets its way.

Am I reading that article right. You can do a 15.5 hour spread over in Australia so long as you take an “extended” 7 hour or more break? Now I’m all for pushing it on and have done some silly things here in Canada like every one else but I’m also a great fan of my bed and once Ive booked off, I struggle to be back behind the wheel in less than 10 hours when you factor in having a shower, cooking food and winding down for a bit.

If these are “tougher” fatigue rules, what on earth are the rules at the moment there? As said, I have nothing against long hours while away on the road but in my opinion it absolutely has to be counter balanced with proper time off at night.

robinhood_1984:
Am I reading that article right. You can do a 15.5 hour spread over in Australia so long as you take an “extended” 7 hour or more break? Now I’m all for pushing it on and have done some silly things here in Canada like every one else but I’m also a great fan of my bed and once Ive booked off, I struggle to be back behind the wheel in less than 10 hours when you factor in having a shower, cooking food and winding down for a bit.

If these are “tougher” fatigue rules, what on earth are the rules at the moment there? As said, I have nothing against long hours while away on the road but in my opinion it absolutely has to be counter balanced with proper time off at night.

That is taking the pee lol , but still where do I sign lol

Hours here are 5 on half hour of, then 5 on and half hour of then, 2 on with an 8 hour min brake, or you can brake it any way you like as long as you have at least a 20 min brake min and half hour before you complete the first 5 hours. Same sort of thing as European but different time scale

However if you go and do a course and listen to someone that wouldn’t know the difference between the front and back of a truck rattle on for the best part of a day, then you can get a Fatigue Management certificate that allows you to drive up to 14 per day 3 days a week or 5 days per rolling fortnight. It’s going up to 15.5 hours a day but we haven’t been given a start date yet.
You also have to do a medical and some of the big things they check are Eye sight, Lung capacity Body Mass Index, ( if your in any way fat or wheezy, your not getting the certificate )

They have been campaigning to import overseas workers for truck driving for a few years but the Rudd/ Gillard government wasn’t going for it, but now they’re out and Abbots in so they’re trying it again.

Jeff…

Fatigue rules can lead to a bit of a rude awakening for European truckies. Fatigue rules differ from state to state. I live in WA and we can do 17 hours provided you you’ve done no more than eleven hours on the previous day and will do no more than eleven on the next day, broken up into five hour driving and twenty mins break blocks. Personally, longest I’ve ever done is just under 1200kms in about fifteen hours with five drops from Perth to Kalgoorlie and back.

Those were the rules for NSW and Vic , none here in Tasmania, but log books rule and can be adjusted to suite when needed. As long as you haven’t driven under any Safety cameras who would know!

Jeff…

If it does happen when would it be likely ? Years/months ?

You’re talking about government decision here, who would know■■?

Jeff…

Jelliot:
You’re talking about government decision here, who would know■■?

Jeff…

Lol if they are like ours then that’s us ■■■■■■

Don’t get me started on incompetent Australian politicians. They would make the British lot seem like a bunch of Einsteins.

Jeff…

come now Jeff we all know that politicians don’t have any grey cells.
ray

Any of you expats got any fit daughters , blonde ■■■■■■■■,nice ■■■, mute button and wants to get married. ? Lol

You dont fancy the colder option on the other side of the Atlantic then Smoggie? lol

at robinhood_1984… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
ray

come on Smoggie89 its not too bad over here , the temp today was -32f which included the windchill factor , so I got a day off cos all the equip was frozen up :smiley: :smiley:

robinhood_1984:
You dont fancy the colder option on the other side of the Atlantic then Smoggie? lol

I would live in BC , I prefer the warm to the cold :p. but anywhere away from England is good lol

flyer747:
come on Smoggie89 its not too bad over here , the temp today was -32f which included the windchill factor , so I got a day off cos all the equip was frozen up :smiley: :smiley:

Fair point haha. I’ve heard that it’s a different cold so it’s not as bad as ya think sort of crisp dry cold, I thought they are clamping down on drivers in Canada not getting pnp as easily etc

Weather here -1 last night +36 by 11 in the morning, wind at a steady 73 kph what more could you want.
Plenty of adds on TV looking for single blokes to join dating agencies. Seems there’s to many single woman.
Got to be worth having a look.

Jeff…

Haha ill sign up later :p. are you in Tasmania Jeff ?

Yehh on the south island as we call it here. I do bit of fly in interstate driving to keep myself amused other than that it’s log trucks mud, dust, and mosquitoes.

Jeff