Looks nasty - A47 Guyham closed for a while

Just because he hasn’t been arrested at the scene doesn’t mean he won’t. I had a friend had an accident and then after further investigation they decided to prosecute.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

on tv saw a case -on forensic detectives ,in the US- Where on one stretch of road fog kept causing accidents , it turned out miles away was a large paper mill, Bowaters , and when the plant was up and running water vapour from a chimney/cooling ponds drifted and settled in this area far from the plant causing disaster

P Stoff:
Just because he hasn’t been arrested at the scene doesn’t mean he won’t. I had a friend had an accident and then after further investigation they decided to prosecute.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct, I wouldn’t read too much into him not being arrested yet.

Local rag here today had a tribute to the old chap who died:

peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new … -1-8548364

If you read the article there’s a comment from his neighbour saying he loved to be at the front of the bus talking to the driver, I’m not saying he was chatting at the time but it could explain why the bus didn’t break.

Ghiabox:

Poor taste mate I’m afraid.

Let’s hope nobody starts cracking jokes for your family to read if you are unfortunate enough to get killed at work :unamused:

:open_mouth: ll

eddie snax:

Odd days:
Wonder if the planing depatment of the council bears some resposibility as well. Allowing large wharehouses to be built on a fast heavy traffic road knowing slow moving motors will be turning across it. Like a lot of things all ok till something goes wrong.

Bretts have been there for at least 40 yrs that I know off, and the site has developed slowly over that time, its not a brand new facility.

Bretts may have been there 40 years but both them and ken thomas was not that size then. They have both grown a lot in recent years and the the traffic is much heavier now then 40 years ago. If it was ok 40 years ago to have trucks turning across the traffic does that mean it all ok today ?

Without knowing the facts and seeing the footage on at least one of the vehicles cameras I would not like to say, and RIP to the bus driver and the passenger who died. Even if it turns out he made an error he certainly didn’t deserve to pay for it this way.

The only thing I thought from the first time I saw the photo the other day was the lorry was a long way out before impact. It’s not like a car had just nipped out. It would be so many seconds from when the lorry started moving out onto the road until impact.

Why the bus driver didn’t react to that we will probably never know. Could be all sorts. Sun (blinded), fallen ill, mechanical failure, human error as in wasn’t paying full attention (bet we all do it) and saw it too late.

Even if the lorry driver had mistakenly seen a flash and pulled out. The point still stands as to why the bus driver didn’t react to a lorry pulling out in front of him.

DickyNick:
Without knowing the facts and seeing the footage on at least one of the vehicles cameras I would not like to say, and RIP to the bus driver and the passenger who died. Even if it turns out he made an error he certainly didn’t deserve to pay for it this way.

The only thing I thought from the first time I saw the photo the other day was the lorry was a long way out before impact. It’s not like a car had just nipped out. It would be so many seconds from when the lorry started moving out onto the road until impact.

Why the bus driver didn’t react to that we will probably never know. Could be all sorts. Sun (blinded), fallen ill, mechanical failure, human error as in wasn’t paying full attention (bet we all do it) and saw it too late.

Even if the lorry driver had mistakenly seen a flash and pulled out. The point still stands as to why the bus driver didn’t react to a lorry pulling out in front of him.

This

BC.jpg
Recovery operations on the A47

moomooland:

■■■■! Do busses have no driver safety equipment? I assume seatbelt and airbag are possibly standard but they’re so far forward, well just like us lorry drivers, but they seem to have nothing to protect them?!

A C+E driver told me lorries stand up well in accidents for drivers (not sure I believe that, not been in a lorry crash yet) but bus drivers just sit so far forward… R.I.P driver.

Ghiabox:

moomooland:

[zb]! Do busses have no driver safety equipment? I assume seatbelt and airbag are possibly standard but they’re so far forward, well just like us lorry drivers, but they seem to have nothing to protect them?!

A C+E driver told me lorries stand up well in accidents for drivers (not sure I believe that, not been in a lorry crash yet) but bus drivers just sit so far forward… R.I.P driver.

I’m guessing that major bus crashes are so rare then driver safety is low down the list when it comes to design and cost?

DickyNick:

Ghiabox:

moomooland:

[zb]! Do busses have no driver safety equipment? I assume seatbelt and airbag are possibly standard but they’re so far forward, well just like us lorry drivers, but they seem to have nothing to protect them?!

I’m guessing that major bus crashes are so rare then driver safety is low down the list when it comes to design and cost?

Maybe true, I know theres not a lot (looks wise) at the front of a typical European lorry, but surely we’re well protected (legit hopes, the way me mate drives when I’m sleeping) but there doesn’t even appear to be a crash safety barrier for the driver of busses!

DickyNick:

Ghiabox:

moomooland:

Correct. No airbags at all and normally no seatbelt. Some newer buses have seatbelt fitted for the driver but the newest ones I drove (63 plate) didn’t have them as they’re not compulsory or weren’t at the time.

Mind you not sure a seatbelt would help here.

Ghiabox:

DickyNick:

Ghiabox:

moomooland:

Maybe true, I know theres not a lot (looks wise) at the front of a typical European lorry, but surely we’re well protected (legit hopes, the way me mate drives when I’m sleeping) but there doesn’t even appear to be a crash safety barrier for the driver of busses!

There’s a bulkhead but it’s normally down by the feet to protect against collision with a vehicle, not to protect against a trailer bed at head height…

Terrible incident, Feel sorry for all the friends & family who knew these people.

I was thinking that it maybe possible, that the Bretts vehicle did not have a driver in it at the time & was a roll away incident.

Dave…

Odd days:
:shock: ll

eddie snax:

Odd days:
Wonder if the planing depatment of the council bears some resposibility as well. Allowing large wharehouses to be built on a fast heavy traffic road knowing slow moving motors will be turning across it. Like a lot of things all ok till something goes wrong.

Bretts have been there for at least 40 yrs that I know off, and the site has developed slowly over that time, its not a brand new facility.

Bretts may have been there 40 years but both them and ken thomas was not that size then. They have both grown a lot in recent years and the the traffic is much heavier now then 40 years ago. If it was ok 40 years ago to have trucks turning across the traffic does that mean it all ok today ?

Ken Thomas is nothing like what it used to be, and Bretts has not grown as rapidly as you seem to think. I’m not saying that the situation there is any where near perfect. I’ve delivered into there numerous times, and its hard enough to get out whilst empty let alone whilst loaded.

I would think that the planners looked at the road in terms of capacity to handle the freight traffic generated by the warehousing, at each stage as its been added to over the years. No thought appears to be have been given to the logistics of exiting the premises though, but hey that’s not news for any one driving a truck.

I’m sure traffic density has increased on the 47 as everywhere else, but lets be honest, at 730am that road has always been choc a bloc. There was a time 25 + years ago, when that was the main route to the Midlands from Norfolk, and that was when Norfolk line were shipping getting on for 100 trailers a day into Great Yarmouth and Birds Eye were in Yarmouth too, Crane Fruehauf made trailers at Nth Walsham and Dereham, Rowntree’s were still in Norwich, Ross frozen foods were in Fakenham and Westwick, HP Foods were in nth Walsham, just to name a few of the companies no longer in Norfolk who had reasonably large freight volumes, some of which would have been on the 47 heading to and from the midlands back then. That has never been a quite piece of road !

dave docwra:
Terrible incident, Feel sorry for all the friends & family who knew these people.

I was thinking that it maybe possible, that the Bretts vehicle did not have a driver in it at the time & was a roll away incident.

Dave…

The Bretts truck was accompanied by its driver at the time mate.

Afros a reliable source morning was foggy ( I agree live close by and started 0500 same morning in a thickish fog). Then from a passenger on bus driver was in a conversation with an elderly passenger who was stood holding very front grab bar on bus very tragic incident which may have been many factors coming together at wrong time. Have heard Brett’s vehicle wasn’t so straight but was part way through turn and force of impact straightened it up. If look at overhead photo no skid marks or deviation on coach. RIP all involved and as we all know there but for the grace of whoever you do or don’t believe in go any one of us

ezydriver:
I hope the bus driver wasn’t using his phone.

it seems on the very few occasions I have used a bus there is always someone who knows the driver and is stood next to him yakking away !